Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #3,226 of 4,690
Quote:
thats true, but the only problem with the xba3 is it being source dependent which may be why some thought they were thin or whatnot. i had the same issue with them at first.
for the average user eph100 i would go for ehp100.

The XBA-3 sounds great with the iPhone and iPad and MP3 320 Kbps. The XBA-4 is the one that is source dependent because of the low impedance, but the XBA-3 sounds great with normal portable sources ... in my opinion the EPH-100 is overpriced given the option to get better/cheaper IEMs: i.e.  the HiFiMan RE-400 is clearly better than the EPH-100 is it is $99

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #3,227 of 4,690
Quote:
Where did you score them for that cheap? If they were that cheap, I'd go for them instead any day!

I got a refurbished XBA-3ip (new product,  just refurbished) with mic/ipod controls for $110 at Best Buy online. I checked now and it seems they don't have any left ... but you can grab a new one for $130-140 at Amazon Market Place (see here), or for $150 at B&H Photo Video ... still a great price for a great IEM.

Apr 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,228 of 4,690
 @MrGuzmanWhite
Great that you found better options, but I didn't find the eph-100 as bad as you describing it.
These are perhaps not the most "detailed" or cleanest sounding  headphones, but  their presentation is just cool, and for people that buy it as their first iem, it would be hard to be disappointed. I  found they require no eq-ing out of the box, unlike  my previous iem the senn ie7 with much much more bloated bass (and I  guess the ie8 is even more bloated) .

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3,229 of 4,690
Quote:
The XBA-3 sounds great with the iPhone and iPad and MP3 320 Kbps. The XBA-4 is the one that is source dependent because of the low impedance, but the XBA-3 sounds great with normal portable sources ... in my opinion the EPH-100 is overpriced given the option to get better/cheaper IEMs: i.e.  the HiFiMan RE-400 is clearly better than the EPH-100 is it is $99

Dude really??

Remember, what is better for one person will most likely be worse for another.

We all have our sound preferences.

For me nothing could beat the Yamahas, short of £300 customs.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #3,230 of 4,690
Okay, I am on my third pair of EPH-100s. My first pair was fine but after only a few weeks of use, due to damage caused by a dude on a scooter with over-extended handlebars (don't ask), the cable apparently got pulled and snapped inside. On the exterior the earphones looked fine. I ordered my second pair, but I found that this was one of the many faulty ones. The right driver had severe driver flex and thus would lead to driver imbalance. No matter what I'd do: blowing/sucking on the right, hitting the earphone, changing tips, it just wouldn't stop moving around in its shell. The vendor eventually replaced it and I have had it for two days, hopefully it will last longer than the first two. No problems so far!

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #3,231 of 4,690
Okay, I am on my third pair of EPH-100s. My first pair was fine but after only a few weeks of use, due to damage caused by a dude on a scooter with over-extended handlebars (don't ask), the cable apparently got pulled and snapped inside. On the exterior the earphones looked fine. I ordered my second pair, but I found that this was one of the many faulty ones. The right driver had severe driver flex and thus would lead to driver imbalance. No matter what I'd do: blowing/sucking on the right, hitting the earphone, changing tips, it just wouldn't stop moving around in its shell. The vendor eventually replaced it and I have had it for two days, hopefully it will last longer than the first two. No problems so far!
Is driver flex very noticeable? I don't think its ever happened to me.

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #3,234 of 4,690
Fine here too. I do get moisture on the mesh after using them (warmth of the body, cold outside, bound to happen), but it never alters the sound. I just wipe them dry after use and clean them with a bit of alcohol on a qtip once a month.
But just like any thing else, there will be lemons. Glad that the vendor replaced them for you.

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #3,235 of 4,690
Never had driver flex with the Yams. Wouldn't expect it either from such a solid construction.

Had them for about 7 months now and never even wiped the mesh lol

Apr 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #3,236 of 4,690
Quote:
Never had driver flex with the Yams. Wouldn't expect it either from such a solid construction.

Had them for about 7 months now and never even wiped the mesh lol

X2

And these are still my favourite IEM to take outside! They pair really well with my Rockboxed Clip+ too...

Apr 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,237 of 4,690
Quote:

X2

And these are still my favourite IEM to take outside! They pair really well with my Rockboxed Clip+ too...

Yeah same here mate.

At the moment most of my time outside is devoted to either the SoundMAGIC E10s or Yamaha EPH-100 and my iPod 120GB + C&C BH. 
size]

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #3,238 of 4,690
I am now confident that my replacement pair is a fully functional one. Loving these just as much as when I got my first pair ;D I would purchase these again if I had to! Just don't want to come across another faulty one. It's interesting how almost all the problems related to the Yams concern the right earpiece. Very curious as to why.

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #3,239 of 4,690
So it looks like my EPH-100s have developed a fault after three months. And contrary to the common failures, it's in the LEFT ear. It only plays intermittently. I'm not sure if this is similar to the issue most people had with their right ear (less volume, etc) but the left ear keeps dying and coming back to life. It's definitely not a loose wire, the problem is definitely inside the earpiece. It can be confirmed by suction. Certain types of pressure cause it to work or not. Eg the suction when putting it into my ear seems to usually kill it. Pulling it out brings it back to life. Sometimes if I push it into my ear really slowly, it will stay alive but sound distorted.

Basically, it sounds like the driver is damaged and the varying air pressure causes it to work. Funnily enough, sometimes it will play perfectly fine without distortion for extended periods.

Is this in any way similar to what people experienced with the right ear being funky?

I discovered the problem yesterday around 5pm, used them for 45 mins on my commute home and managed to get them to hold up for most of the journey, let them lie the rest of the evening and night, and this morning they were a little better to begin with but then became worse than the night before.

I'm reluctant to send them back if this is a known temporary issue which will resolve itself, as I don't really want to be without the headphones for 3 weeks while they are repaired.

Any ideas?

Apr 25, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #3,240 of 4,690
Have you tried wiping the speaker grille with a q tip and a bit of rubbing alcohol?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back