Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #1,306 of 4,690

Quote:
IE8's should be under $200, and the IE7's under $150

That said, I would suggest at least trying the yamas beforehand
I have no experience with the yamas, but from reading about them, they do sound tempting, especially for the ~$100 (used) price

Where would I find them new for that price? I don't like buying them used.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #1,308 of 4,690

Quote:
IE8's should be under $200, and the IE7's under $150

That said, I would suggest at least trying the yamas beforehand
I have no experience with the yamas, but from reading about them, they do sound tempting, especially for the ~$100 (used) price

One important thing the EPH100 has over IE8 is clarity.

You don't get what some people describe 'muffled' or 'muddy' sound of the IE8's (mid bass hump)

The bass is very well separated from the mids & highs on the EPH100. It does feel like a separate woofer with a tighter & punchier bass.

Separation is also better with EPH100 in my opinion & this can be particularly appreciated when listening to Trance/Electro etc.

What you get with IE8's is huge sound stage (biggest with iem's) & better treble. I became quite happy with EPH100 treble after 100hr+ use.

If you are leaning heavy towards Classical/Jazz listening than IE7/8 is better. 

Otherwise i don't think one can be disappointed with EPH100 as a package (incl. price $115 brand new delivered from UK to US).

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #1,310 of 4,690

Quote:
 I became quite happy with EPH100 treble after 100hr+ use.

Otherwise i don't think one can be disappointed with EPH100 as a package (incl. price $115 brand new delivered from UK to US).

+1

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #1,311 of 4,690
Left side of my yamaha just sounded significantly sounds lower than the right =/ exchange waaaaaht

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #1,313 of 4,690
SE215 have more forward, lush mids, better bass overall IMO. The EPH is more neutral sounding, not as warm, more balanced across the spectrum. The treble on the EPH100 is technically superior and probably better in just about every way than that of the SE215. The EPH100 sounds clearer and cleaner, with better soundstage and instrument separation, whereas the SE215 sounds bigger, fuller, and more powerful; the overall sound is more forward but soundstage is not bad. The EPH100 is faster, notes are better defined, but the overall sound is smaller, a compromise between BA and dynamic sound; SE215 can be bloated sometimes and misses details, but it is definitely a dynamic sound and feels bigger and more powerful than the EPH100. There is more distance between the music and you in the EPH100, which helps with clarity and separation but sacrifices on the fun factor, which the SE215 definitely delivers, at the risk of sounding like a "wall of sound" sometimes. That said, the soundstage on the 215s is definitely better, especially in depth, than entry level IEMs like CX300 and FA Eterna (the Eterna wins on width but overall the staging feels less noticeable; going from memory on this one so take with a grain of salt), but is nothing to write home about; the EPH100 has great placement and separation, and has an overall more noticeable soundstage than any IEM I've heard, including the W3.

IMO:

Shure SE215 = more engaging, more fun to listen to
EPH100 = more detailed and clear, mostly balanced sound, technically superior headphone

Don't take this to mean the EPH100 is neutral compared to other phones; it's not exceptionally colored, but the bass is boosted slightly and it's a touch warm.

The SE215 does mids and bass both REALLY well in my opinion; I prefer it for my own tastes despite recognizing the EPH100 as a technically superior phone. The bass on the SE215 responds fabulously to EQ and some serious rumble can be squeezed out of it with the right DAP + EQ.

What music would you be using them for?

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,315 of 4,690

Quote:
Shure SE215 = more engaging, more fun to listen to
EPH100 = more detailed and clear, mostly balanced sound, technically superior headphone

Don't take this to mean the EPH100 is neutral compared to other phones; it's not exceptionally colored, but the bass is boosted slightly and it's a touch warm.

Agree.

I had SE215 and now keep EPH-100. Clarity is better with EPH-100.

Feb 20, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #1,318 of 4,690

Nice write Gilly  0n SE215 v EPH-100

Going to get this added to front page.
wink_face.gif

*edit*

Just discovered the links on first page are all messed up.

So I have redone them & asked mod to replace with new ones as well as a new link to the post below that i can manage more regular.

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #1,319 of 4,690
Useful  Thread Postings (20/02/12) (Linked From  First Page)

Main Review (IE8, FX700, SE420, UM3X): Link

General Impressions

James444 Initial Impressions (EX600/eQ7/MC3) : Link
Huxley Initial Impressions : Link
K1n03 Vs Monster Miles Davis Trumpet : Link
Varley Initial Impressions (GR07) : Link
Valey Follow up : Link
Nulliverse Initial Impressions: Link
Nulliverse Vs FXT90 : Link
Miow Impressions : Link
Eke2k6 Impressions: Link
Dm125 Impressions (GR07) : Link
Fanmo Impressions (GR07) : Link
Gilly87 First Impressions : Link
Gilly87 Follow Up : Link
Gilly87 Vs SE215 : Link
Tienbasse (Se535 Se Red) : Link
Tienbasse Follow up (HJE900/FX700/SE535SE) : Link
Pinoyman (cc51 and re262) : Link

Tip Solution For GIANT canals : Link

Golden Ears Frequency Graph : Link

Additional Links To First Page Of Thread

Where To Buy

Audioaffair UK  for around $115 delivered to US (Paypal & international delivery to other destinations)

J&R in US $125 delivered (May require a phone to tell them Head-Fi members have been buying at this price)

*edit* If you feel there is a post that deserves to go on this list just PM me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back