Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,051 of 4,690

Quote:
Don't let yourself be disappointed...I won't promise miracles but the sound has changed very noticeably with around 50 hours of use for me.

Have to agree with this. Compared to my GR07's, I was pretty disappointed with these upon first listening to them. Now that I am around 60+ hours of burn in I have been finding myself reaching for them more than the GR07's. 

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #1,052 of 4,690

Quote:
I think they're technically roughly on the same level, but their sound signatures are pretty much an exact opposite. The EPH-100 have more deep bass emphasis, whereas the HJE900 have more mid-bass. Mids are slightly forward on the Yamahas and slightly recessed on the Pannys. Highs are rather polite and somewhat recessed on the Yamahas, but forward/sharp/aggressive on the Pannys.

I wouldn't be surprised at all, if a HJE900 lover hated the EPH-100 and vice versa.

Signatures are very different indeed.
I had HJE-900  for a year (2010) and I liked them very much, but it was obvious when I upgraded to FX700s how limited they were in terms of separation and mids. Treble were aggressive but could be tamed a little using Comply T-400 foams (also nice with Ts-400).

I consider Yamahas to be better in nearly every aspect except treble and build quality (but HJE-900 are built like a tank, it's difficult to beat).
The mid-bass hump is usually bad for clarity since it tends to invade the lower mids, isolation was average at best, even with Ts-400 providing a very good seal. Mids were clear but a bit recessed, and treble were forward but not very realistic (cymbals were drilling into my eardrums, so piercing).

Going from FX700s to EPH-100 was not such a shock, despite the differences in signature. Just few hours to discover what's missing in FX700: good mids and a touch up in separation. I could live with the loss in bass and treble quality, so well that I just sold the FX700s.

EPH-100 are also pretty forgiving with the music source.
Yesterday I was listening some old Queen recordings (A Kind of Magic and a few others) with my SE535LTD and I nearly puked. It was sounding so bad. No such problem with the Yamahas since they don't put instrument/vocals so much in your face.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #1,053 of 4,690

Quote:
Have to agree with this. Compared to my GR07's, I was pretty disappointed with these upon first listening to them. Now that I am around 60+ hours of burn in I have been finding myself reaching for them more than the GR07's. 

I have just noticed a REAL change at about 200 hours, when bass has become much more controlled and precise. It was completely inaccurate after that. But I beleive that at about 50-100 hours you can start noticing some change, yes.

Feb 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #1,054 of 4,690

Quote:
Yesterday I was listening some old Queen recordings (A Kind of Magic and a few others) with my SE535LTD and I nearly puked. It was sounding so bad. No such problem with the Yamahas since they don't put instrument/vocals so much in your face.

Must agree with you on that the source.

I have heard the EPH100's now with Sony X1060 Walkman, Ipod 3G Rock Boxed, Iphone 4, laptop, PC Xonar Essence STX (amped) & it hasn't really disappointed.
I was rather surprised how well it did with phone 4 after using it with EQU app. Almost X1060 like sound signature was achieved.

You have done a great job in taking the time to introduce this fine phone to us.

Feb 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,057 of 4,690

Quote:

Signatures are very different indeed.
I had HJE-900  for a year (2010) and I liked them very much, but it was obvious when I upgraded to FX700s how limited they were in terms of separation and mids. Treble were aggressive but could be tamed a little using Comply T-400 foams (also nice with Ts-400).

I consider Yamahas to be better in nearly every aspect except treble and build quality (but HJE-900 are built like a tank, it's difficult to beat).
The mid-bass hump is usually bad for clarity since it tends to invade the lower mids, isolation was average at best, even with Ts-400 providing a very good seal. Mids were clear but a bit recessed, and treble were forward but not very realistic (cymbals were drilling into my eardrums, so piercing).

Going from FX700s to EPH-100 was not such a shock, despite the differences in signature. Just few hours to discover what's missing in FX700: good mids and a touch up in separation. I could live with the loss in bass and treble quality, so well that I just sold the FX700s.

Indeed Queen's albuns are very good to see the degree to forgiving poor source in a iem.

As well, to see the burn-in evolution, especially with regard to sibilance.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #1,060 of 4,690

Quote:
Agreed. It is palpable with the EPH100 and I noticed my SE215s changing before I had ever even heard of the burn-in phenomenon.

What changes you see, given your initial impressions?

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #1,061 of 4,690
As soon as ordered. 
smile.gif

This is what has prompted me to do so:

Yea I think they sound a bit better than the FXT90's.  They have more detail and better bass in quality and quantity, also the mids are one of the best I've heard in a under $200 IEM.  

Wow!

I took a look at thread relative and it seems from the comments that are used primarily for genre ' Hypnos '; he expressly says that are not suitable for listening to classical music and lack of tremble.

I was attracted, but all these limitations I have dismissed.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #1,062 of 4,690
Well the sound has just become...fuller, I suppose? It sounded somewhat thin compared to what I was expecting, but it has filled out a bit. I think the "3D" effect has actually calmed down and is more just subtle but distinct depth presentation. The dynamics still aren't what I'd like them to be; clarity is solid but I think I had slightly overestimated the EPH100's capacity for details before.
Quote:
What changes you see, given your initial impressions?

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #1,063 of 4,690
So how about The Yamaha EPH-100 Vs. Sony MDR-EX600 Vs. JVC HA-FX500?

Is there any of these IEMs that has a "Headphone" sense of space under the price of $160 with great detail of the entire FR, clarity and deep bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back