Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #812 of 4,690
Well, I have about 35-40 hours of burn in on these now, compared to about 80 on my GR07. I love my GR07's to death, but these little guys are starting to find a place in my heart real quick. The more and more that I have expanded the genre's I have listened to and compared songs back and forth with my VSonics, the more I now understand what people meant by "3D" in terms of depth with these IEMs. Its such a rich and fulfilling experience - and with no sibilance! 
biggrin.gif

I still have to say though, any acoustic tracks or music with quick, punchy drums - the GR07's still come out ahead (IMHO). 

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #813 of 4,690
Quote:
I just received mine! 
atsmile.gif
 . Will post some impressions later !

Quote:
Well, I have about 35-40 hours of burn in on these now, compared to about 80 on my GR07. I love my GR07's to death, but these little guys are starting to find a place in my heart real quick. The more and more that I have expanded the genre's I have listened to and compared songs back and forth with my VSonics, the more I now understand what people meant by "3D" in terms of depth with these IEMs. Its such a rich and fulfilling experience - and with no sibilance! 
biggrin.gif

I still have to say though, any acoustic tracks or music with quick, punchy drums - the GR07's still come out ahead (IMHO). 

oh no, can't hear this anymore, where are mine? the postman must have them off.
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #815 of 4,690
All right, got these yesterday and been listening whenever I've had free time. On first listen, I was a little underwhelmed. It wasn't as clear as I thought it'd be, nor was it as immersive. I was tempted to take them off and get back to my 300+ hours GR07. But see, that was all because I was listening to the wrong kind of music, with lots of fast drums. As I started listening to other genres, these started to reveal themselves more and more as the gem I was hoping they'd be.

I've had no problems with the fit and thank the lord no vacuum seal (was dreading that one). I'm pleased with the quality. The cable is not bad. It does have some memory character, and I'm not a big fan of the way it feels, but it seems strong enough to not make me worry about it constantly. The IEMs themselves look gorgeous and well-made. 

I feel it would be unfair to do a detailed comparison with my well broken in Vsonics given how early the Yammies are on their burning journey, but I'll still point the main differences so far:
Bass - Yams have more body and impact, GR07 more sub-bass and rumble.
Clarity - GR07 sound leaner and clearer but the Yams are not far behind. That thicker/darker sound does take some getting used to.
Impedance - The Yams are a little harder to drive, I find myself cranking up the volume a couple of notches up my GR07 standard.
Soundstage - GR07 feel wider. Yams do have a more 3D presentation, for the little they give to the Vsonics in width, they make up for in depth. The separation and positioning of instruments also adds to that 3D effect. Don't expect it to wow you like a surround sound system, it's a more subtle effect but a darn nice one.
Treble - As can be expected the GR07 shine in that department, with more sparkle. The micro yams however are not completely shamed, not at all. They more than hold their own, providing me with enough detail, and weirdly on some of my favourite tracks, I've picked up on some little sounds that the VSonics didn't put forward. Some songs sounded completely different on the two IEMs. (Note: I have noticed some hints of sibilance a couple of times during early listening stages, but this is by no means intrusive or off-putting, the GR07 put me through way worse in their days.)
Fun - This is where the yams shine for me. That extra bass they offer, along with the presentation and detailed highs makes for a thoroughly enjoyable listening experience. If the GR07 get my toes tapping, the EPH get me full body up and dancing.

Oops I realise I said I wasn't gonna go into much detail, oh well :p

To finish let me say that I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever with my purchase. I was looking for something that would work well alongside my GR07, that would provide me with about at least 80% of the sound plus an extra dollop of fun on top. And these more than deliver on that note. Yes, the Vsonics are better all things considered but then again so they should! I paid more for them. I'm starting to fall in love with the EPH and they haven't even completely grown into their full potential. To those waiting to receive theirs, when you first try them, don't expect fireworks right away. Give them some time to work their magic on you and you'll be happily surprised.

One more thing, please be kind when it comes to my comparison/description above, my knowledge of musical terminology is not very advanced yet. 
Thanks to all of you on this thread who got me interested in the EPH-100. And my wallet isn't even that mad at you. Good value this is. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #816 of 4,690

Quote:

One more thing, please be kind when it comes to my comparison/description above, my knowledge of musical terminology is not very advanced yet. 
Thanks to all of you on this thread who got me interested in the EPH-100. And my wallet isn't even that mad at you. Good value this is. 

"my knowledge of musical terminology is not very advanced yet. "

Dude! Neither is mine, that was a brilliant comparison, although I would give the Yams some time, to burn-in, so that possibly it might give you a better SQ.
Although for initial impressions, my perception from your post is that they are a little muddy or uncontrolled out of the box, but then get better? Am I right in saying this?

Either/or, they sound nice - although a question for you, are they heavy on the ears at all?
Due to their build, to me it seems as they would be very heavy earphones, especially when carrying around.

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #818 of 4,690
Hi fanmo,

Very nice initial impressions, let us know when they reach the 200 hours, as I've noticed substancial improvement on bass and overal clarity. I have compared them with the GR-07 in this phase, and I've sold the GR-07's (which I loved before the Yamahas. They really wow'ed me - best dynamic IEM I've heard till I listen to these EPH's).

Quote:
Although for initial impressions, my perception from your post is that they are a little muddy or uncontrolled out of the box, but then get better? Am I right in saying this?

Yeah, thats it.

I will buy the MG7, so you guys can expect a direct comparison. But this will take some time. Maybe 2-3 weeks. If they arrive earlier I let you know, but will just compare them when they reach the 100 hours at least. I was told the MG7's are a better buy. Really curious to see that by myself. Thanks shotgunshane for calling my attention to these ; )

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #819 of 4,690

Quote:
Nice impressions - you covered lots of things in a fairly concise and clear fashion.

Don't worry about 'having' to learn fancy audio terminology. As one member I have a lot of respect for once said: "... it also amazes and saddens me that some members post without knowledge, but in a manner that masquerades as knowledge"

I personally hate using audio terminology, lows, mids, highs, and sound stage is all I like to really use.

Quote:
Hi fanmo,

Very nice initial impressions, let us know when they reach the 200 hours, as I've noticed substancial improvement on bass and overal clarity. I have compared them with the GR-07 in this phase, and I've sold the GR-07's (which I loved before the Yamahas. They really wow'ed me - best dynamic IEM I've heard till I listen to these EPH's).

I will buy the MG7, so you guys can expect a direct comparison. But this will take some time. Maybe 2-3 weeks. If they arrive earlier I let you know, but will just compare them when they reach the 100 hours at least. I was told the MG7's are a better buy. Really curious to see that by myself. Thanks shotgunshane for calling my attention to these ; )

Sweet let us know!

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #820 of 4,690
For people looking for comparisons with FX700/FXT90, check the first 5 pages, you'll find a review and some comparisons there.

Too bad I was not the one opening the thread, otherwise I would have modified the title and first post to put links with the various reviews and comparisons, since there are plenty of them!

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #821 of 4,690
@fanmo, nice comparison and sums up similar to how I'd equate the differences from memory. My perception differences are in soundstage and treble.  I think the gr07 is much wider but indeed fairly shallow. Also I think overal instrument realism, particularly in treble, is much better on the gr07. 

@miow, I hope you enjoy them at least a fraction as much as I do. They should more than satisy even the most healthy of sub bass appetites. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #822 of 4,690

Quote:
For people looking for comparisons with FX700/FXT90, check the first 5 pages, you'll find a review and some comparisons there.

Too bad I was not the one opening the thread, otherwise I would have modified the title and first post to put links with the various reviews and comparisons, since there are plenty of them!

Your impressions are on first page, that everyone reads.

you can put there that links, which are very useful to better understand  EPH-100.

@fanmo nice impressions, glad to read this: "I've had no problems with the fit and thank the lord no vacuum seal (was dreading that one)"

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #823 of 4,690

Quote:
@fanmo, nice comparison and sums up similar to how I'd equate the differences from memory. My perception differences are in soundstage and treble.  I think the gr07 is much wider but indeed fairly shallow. Also I think overal instrument realism, particularly in treble, is much better on the gr07. 

@miow, I hope you enjoy them at least a fraction as much as I do. They should more than satisy even the most healthy of sub bass appetites. 

bass wise - how do the GR07's and the Yamas compare to the TFTA 1V's shotgunshane?

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #824 of 4,690

Quote:
Hi fanmo,

Yeah, thats it.

I think you're going to love the MG7. To me, it's not a bassy phone, unless the music calls for sub bass....
then watch out, it's awesome. No mid bass hump and treble is quite nice and never harsh in any way. 
Interested in your impressions. 

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #825 of 4,690

Quote:
Nice impressions - you covered lots of things in a fairly concise and clear fashion.

Don't worry about 'having' to learn fancy audio terminology. As one member I have a lot of respect for once said: "... it also amazes and saddens me that some members post without knowledge, but in a manner that masquerades as knowledge"

Thanks man! The member you quote is very wise indeed; I've read reviews where I couldn't really grasp what the person was trying to say thanks to all those fancy terms.

Quote:
Hi fanmo,

Hello miow. Thank you. I'm excited to listen to the improvement as they get better and better. I'll be sure to track the progress on here. And I can't wait to get your impressions on the MG7, they're an IEM that have always intrigued me and the only reason I didn't pull the trigger was I'd get scared every time someone would refer to them as basshead material.

Quote:

Thanks shotgunshane. Done some more listening, you're right the GR07 are indeed much wider. I shall correct that in the post. And I totally get what you mean by the GR07's better instrument realism, it's particular flagrant when you've just switched from one to the other. However once the EPH have been in my ears for a while, I just get used to their timbre and kinda just forget how things would sound on the Vsonics because the yams are simply good at making me enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back