Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #436 of 4,690
Enjoy Eke26! I've been listening as much as possible over the last 24 hours (although my wife and staff members haven't been the happiest!). These really do let you get into the music! I still need to steal my wife's Phonak 122 for a quick comparison, but so far, these have become my goto phones, and I've only got about 10 hours burn in on them. I was really impressed with these listening to 80's music (You Spin Me 'Round has a great kick bass line paired with quick treble and mids, and is a great test piece) and these Yamaha's really excelled.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #437 of 4,690
Everyone with this IEM should listen to Nero - Crush on you to see what these IEMs are capable of in terms of bass (and that Mezzoforte - Live in Reykjavik  - Prime Time drum solo)

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #438 of 4,690
But what if i don't want to
tongue_smile.gif

eke26 has gone very quiet........

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #440 of 4,690

Quote:
I've been A/B'ing them DIRECTLY as I've just posted the GR-07's yesterday. Unlike you I'm not doing this by memory, but by next second listening from one to another. And yes, they do sound dry and lifeless in comparison.

What's the problem by saying that a phone is the best dynamic I ever heard period (that was the truth), if the next day I listen to one that is much better? I don't get you. And with me, this does not happen everyday. I don't get impressed easily by a phone as you can see from my ratings to SM3, Sony EX1000, etc. Theres no "WoW" threads about those for sure.

Unlike many people here I don't think the last IEM I bought is the best in the world as you can see from my sig (ratings). Recently I got the Sony EX1000's, I didn't like them. The same for the j-phonic K2 SP, which I had high expectations, didn't like them at all, and this is just to mention a few I did not like. And yes, we are talking about $500 "top-tiers".

And I could say much more but it's not worth it. You are confusing me with other person, dude.

Oh ok, sorry... I just naturally assumed that you wasn't still using your GR07's, as you said that you had sold them 5 days ago.

I apologize if I'm come across as critical... I'm not, just skeptical when people present their opinions as facts. I'm also naturally question 'facts' when they change drastically over such a short period of time.

But that's cool, we all discuss appreciation in different ways.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
MIOW I'm with you on this. Makes sense to me. You are doing the direct A/B'ing at the moment & have plenty of experience with a variety of  IEM's.
I rather take your opinion as things stand. I prefer strong committed opinions than ones that are more like the useless weather men predictions.
Serve to do nothing but further confuse individuals.

It seems clear to me you have been searching for the better IEM & each time you have found one that makes you feel its an upwards jump you rejoice it vocally & I applaud that. And where it has been sidewards or diagonal you have not been as vocal.

You don't need a great grasp of audiophile vocabulary to know what sounds good & be able to express it. In my opinion impression & opinion write ups should not be like a poetry competition in themselves. Way too much philosophical pondering going on.

Lol... my questioning is driven more by the best interests of potential buyers than a need to compete in poetry (or ponder philosophically). As previously stated, I'm getting an increasing amounts of messages from skeptics and doubters, many of whom are interested in these IEMs but put off by the hyping. Am I saying don't hype? Absolutely not. Am I questioning the objectivity and validity of your hyping? Of course! Both of our approaches are equally valid and essential in fueling meaningful debate.

beerchug.gif

Regarding your question; yes, I'd say that these isolate better than any other universal I have owned.

Quote:
It is a warning to the people who might get caught up in the FOTM hype. I'm sure the EPH's shortcomings will catch up with it in time, just like the GR07 before it. So, my post was just an example of how it's important to look harder when considering a new product. You'd be surprised how many people buy things based off simple statements other members make here.

A good point well put.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #441 of 4,690

Quote:
No worries, and i was being honest, they have detail and sparkle but that's about it.

The yammies are just so good at getting those toes tapping.

If i put on any diana krall, it just knocks me out honestly i wind up falling asleep plugged in.

So whilst i understand the trepidation, they really do punch far higher than the price suggests.

I used to have a £4000 car ice setup, so i know a thing or two about good sound.

Nulliverse - 2 unlimited lol, we had them in a local nightclub, everyone was singing 'there's no lyrics' with them on stage.
tongue_smile.gif

Agree 100%. They are so musical, and def punch way above their belt.

Lol @ 2 Unlimited live with crowd singing those lyrics
etysmile.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #442 of 4,690
Also... to whoever it was that was highlighting potential fit / comfort issues with these:

Yes, they do look a little unconventional on paper. However, after over a week of using them I feel confident in saying that they are the most comfortable IEMs I've owned. I have small, awkward ear canals, and have all manner of problems with most universals. The only two iems I'd consider truly comfortable are these, and the GR07s. This is an even more remarkable on the Yamahas part, considering that the vsonics have a swiveling nozzle that adjusts to individual ear canals.

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #443 of 4,690
Has anyone else found, that despite their being laid back, you can still hear the details.

I think it's down to the excellent separation, they allow all the details to make a showing without resorting to an increase in treble.

Eke26 - chop chop we're waiting
popcorn.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #444 of 4,690
Oh boy.

Ok, let me start off with the 'negatives.' First off, these have a vacuum seal. I hate vacuum seals. However, it's not nearly as bad as the TF10, and I think I may be able to get used to it...maybe even by tomorrow. Then there's that stupid outer packaging...

The 'Hmm, that's weird' factors: The treble..it's a strange beast. Miow wasn't kidding when he said Yamaha had their own special treble. The closest thing I could compare it to is the TF10, but it doesn't quite have that metallic sheen that the TF10 does. It's really something that you have to hear. The cable is microphonic when there's no music playing.

The positives: The treble. After listening for a bit, I think I've become used to the treble. I don't find it overly laid back at all. Maybe it's because I'm listening through my iP4, which is slightly bright. I find it to be in line with the music, and if the song calls for it, it can be a little forward. 

The 'HOLY crap's: The treble 
rolleyes.gif
. I'm kinda really liking the treble now. I find that it presents all the details and ambiance in the upper registers without ANY sibilance, which is more than I can say for my beloved GR07. 2) Instrument Separation. You know, I used the think the GR07 was the best dynamic at instrument separation...no more. One of my most congested non-metal songs, Adele's "Many Shades of Black," makes EVERY other iem I've heard sound congested and slightly bloated. Not the Yamaha. I think everyone who owns this iem should go listen to the song on their iems, then on the Yamaha. Amazing. 3) Soundstaging. Ridiculous. How did they do this? I faintly remember some multi-dimensional calculus, and I think a LOT was used when designing the EPH-100. The soundstage and positioning is truly 3D. I haven't heard anything like it before. Each instrument has it's place in the soundfield, and the sound is layered superbly. 4) With universal iems as comfortable as these, who need customs?

The EPH-100 has everything that I wanted to improve in my GR07. I think I just have to get better acquainted with it's treble presentation. Thanks for this guys 
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #445 of 4,690
See this is why eke is one of my favorite headfi members. He takes his time. Smells the package. Inspects every detail. Makes sure there is not a blemish on his new phone and then I guarantee you he has a routine where he dances around his player 5 times and then has a moment of silence before he turns on his player. Maybe a bit more than that. Then he cycles through his favorite tunes one by one and then compares how he likes the individual sounds coming from his new phones.. Takes a quick bathroom break only to repeat this cycle over and over again till he got it in his mind what was reveled to him while doing this ritual.

If he likes the phone he will skip lunch and dinner just to hear more tunes. Please don't try this at home. It is only reserved for the extreme.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #446 of 4,690

Quote:
Oh boy.

Ok, let me start off with the 'negatives.' First off, these have a vacuum seal. I hate vacuum seals. However, it's not nearly as bad as the TF10, and I think I may be able to get used to it...maybe even by tomorrow. Then there's that stupid outer packaging...

The 'Hmm, that's weird' factors: The treble..it's a strange beast. Miow wasn't kidding when he said Yamaha had their own special treble. The closest thing I could compare it to is the TF10, but it doesn't quite have that metallic sheen that the TF10 does. It's really something that you have to hear. The cable is microphonic when there's no music playing.

The positives: The treble. After listening for a bit, I think I've become used to the treble. I don't find it overly laid back at all. Maybe it's because I'm listening through my iP4, which is slightly bright. I find it to be in line with the music, and if the song calls for it, it can be a little forward. 

The 'HOLY crap's: The treble 
rolleyes.gif
. I'm kinda really liking the treble now. I find that it presents all the details and ambiance in the upper registers without ANY sibilance, which is more than I can say for my beloved GR07. 2) Instrument Separation. You know, I used the think the GR07 was the best dynamic at instrument separation...no more. One of my most congested non-metal songs, Adele's "Many Shades of Black," makes EVERY other iem I've heard sound congested and slightly bloated. Not the Yamaha. I think everyone who owns this iem should go listen to the song on their iems, then on the Yamaha. Amazing. 3) Soundstaging. Ridiculous. How did they do this? I faintly remember some multi-dimensional calculus, and I think a LOT was used when designing the EPH-100. The soundstage and positioning is truly 3D. I haven't heard anything like it before. Each instrument has it's place in the soundfield, and the sound is layered superbly. 4) With universal iems as comfortable as these, who need customs?

The EPH-100 has everything that I wanted to improve in my GR07. I think I just have to get better acquainted with it's treble presentation. Thanks for this guys 
beerchug.gif

Nice review, thanks. Makes me feel better aboout my order
wink.gif

Any things aboout midrange or bass that weren´t mentioned yet?

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #447 of 4,690

Quote:
See this is why eke is one of my favorite headfi members. He takes his time. Smells the package. Inspects every detail. Makes sure there is not a blemish on his new phone and then I guarantee you he has a routine where he dances around his player 5 times and then has a moment of silence before he turns on his player. Maybe a bit more than that. Then he cycles through his favorite tunes one by one and then compares how he likes the individual sounds coming from his new phones.. Takes a quick bathroom break only to repeat this cycle over and over again till he got it in his mind what was reveled to him while doing this ritual.

If he likes the phone he will skip lunch and dinner just to hear more tunes. Please don't try this at home. It is only reserved for the extreme.

Haha! Shut up nutman. i'm late for class. I'll update later wth EDM and classical impressions

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #448 of 4,690
Quote:
isolation is definetly above average.

Quote:
beerchug.gif

yes, I'd say that these isolate better than any other universal I have owned.

Quote:
I've said this many times now - the EPH-100 is excellent value for money at this price point..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nulliverse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agree 100%. They are so musical, and def punch way above their belt.

Now we are talking straight to the point friend.

Cheers !   
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #449 of 4,690

EKE2K6 you can overcome the vacum fit issue as i did simply going one size down.

Good to read its living up to the quality some of us have been passionately banging about.

Will be interesting to hear classical opinion from you as for me it is the weakest genre for EPH100 compared to many that it clearly excels at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eke2k6

With universal iems as comfortable as these, who need customs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back