Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 29, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #301 of 4,690

Quote:
Have any of the "old timers" compared the Ephs to GR07 or FXT90?

I have briefly compared them to the GR07's here in this thread. For example:

Quote:
They just make the GR-07's sound so dry, so lifeless, so small ; )

Will elaborate when they reach the 50 hours. All I can say for now is that this is other league and I prefer them to the UM3X. Ok, enough said for now :D

hey archy121, best post in this thread. Totally agree with you. All have imperfections. There's NO perfect IEM, at least that I know. Example: $400 SM3 are way too dark and have some other flaws as bass, soundstage and instrument separation, for eg, $400 UM3X treble is a bit on the (too) bright side, cymbals don't sound 100% realistic, $500 Sony EX1000 is way too lean (and didn't like the treble and bass and separation as much as the UM3X), $400 Monster Miles Davis Tribute and Turbine Pro Copper play on other league, can't compare, etc, etc. Not to mention we all have different ears/tastes.

BTW, EPH100's bass has nice texture, just compare it to the boomy IE8's bass and even the SM3's ; )

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #302 of 4,690
If I didn't have the experience with the EX600, IE80 and EPH100 in the last month since a google search led me to head-fi, I would probably be excited about the hype. The EPH100 looks and feels cheap stuff. What destroys my classical music is the treble (no quality, dry and rough). I wouldn't miss it if I will never listen to it again. With that said, this is good enough for my son to use.

Take what I said with a grain of salt though. For those who found this one as good as or better than the $300+ high-end ones, you definitely deserve to be congratulated. At end of the day, what really matters is you enjoy what you get for what you pay for.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #303 of 4,690

Quote:
BTW, EPH100's bass has nice texture, just compare it to the boomy IE8's bass and even the SM3's ; )

I now have UM3X and SE535 Red Edition to compare with the Yamahas, and the bass on the EPH-100 still has better punch and impact, while bass on the other 2 is strictly identical (good but more tamed). Essentially with the latter 2, you have to EQ bass up to approach EPH-100's natural bass.
I guess it is difficult for BAs to beat dynamic drivers when it comes to bass punch.
L3000.gif

That being said, the SE535 Red are providing my best mids experience so far, just in front of the EPH-100 (I don't remember the SE420 mids sounding so good despite the "classical" Shure forward mids). Separation is also a bit better with the SE535Red than with UM3X/EPH-100, which is not a small feat. Given the Shure's Red Edtion horrendous pricetag (370€ and luckily I escaped the 20% taxes upon entering the EU
devil_face.gif
), I sure am happy that they are THAT good.
But this doesn't remove any of the virtues of the Yamahas, which I still intend to keep for their comfort and isolation. I come to realize in a plane that the Yamahas are way faster and easier to fit and remove than Shures and Westones, which is handy when someone is bothering you every 5 minutes.
beerchug.gif

With about one month of comparison sessions with different music styles, I'd now say EPH-100 is probably the flattest IEM I've heard so far when using my Cowon X7 as the source. These are the only IEMs in my current stock which I don't have to EQ at all (a small BBE touch to open the sound like always, but no band equalization at all). That is if you like your bass to be punchy. Analytical sound lovers would surely EQ bass down.
To get a similar (=close, not identical) sound, I had to EQ bass and mids slightly up with the UM3X.
With Shure SE535Red, I had to EQ bass and treble slightly up, and mids slightly down (small v shape).

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #304 of 4,690

Quote:
If I didn't have the experience with the EX600, IE80 and EPH100 in the last month since a google search led me to head-fi, I would probably be excited about the hype. The EPH100 looks and feels cheap stuff. What destroys my classical music is the treble (no quality, dry and rough). I wouldn't miss it if I will never listen to it again. With that said, this is good enough for my son to use.

Take what I said with a grain of salt though. For those who found this one as good as or better than the $300+ high-end ones, you definitely deserve to be congratulated. At end of the day, what really matters is you enjoy what you get for what you pay for.

Wait, huh? You're saying the EPH-100 has crappy treble?

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #306 of 4,690

Quote:
Wait, huh? You're saying the EPH-100 has crappy treble?

He said "no quality, dry and rough", which to me is exagerated. While the Yamahas are clearly not the best IEMs for classical music (and I said that), such a comment is extreme.

I would concede on the dry part (I said "snappy" with a half-full glass viewpoint, but dry would be the half-empty viewpoint).
wink.gif

Rough on the other side is clearly an overstatement and no quality doesn't mean anything specific.

And I don't get "The EPH100 looks and feels cheap stuff." If you meant soundwise, that's your opinion and yours alone. If you meant build quality ("looks and feels"), I dare to say it is not inferior at all to top-tier IEMs (and I have 3 of them to compare with). Metal has become rare these days, and Westone casings have not exactly a high-quality finish, although their cables are top-notch.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #307 of 4,690
Quote:

It's true that EPH100's aren't the best at classical & possibly jazz but than I can tell you that the IE8's (similar to your IE80 when Equ'd) which I have heard are pretty dull at Trance & electronic genre in contrast to EPH100. Less clarity, veiled mids and although a very big sound stage you just don't have the outstanding separation offered by EPH100. From my limited listening sessions of IE8 i would also agree with Miow that bass is better on EPH100 with better punch & texture. Yes IE8 do well with classical which is your main genre of music. And EPH100 excel at trance, elctro, hip-hop, pop, rock & more.

Your post just confirms what I pointed out earlier. Non of the IEMs are perfect including your IE80 & EPH100. You may have bought your son the EPH100 because it was cheaper, but he got a very good deal in the end because it's far from cheap in it's musical ability. Unless all he listens to is classical. Like I said Monster Trumpet is around £300 mark & impressions indicate they are not far apart in sound quality. Just because EPH100 is £80 don't think that's a direct reflection of it's musical ability. Don't feel bad you spent that much more money on IE80 - It does classical well for you & that's what counts.

Jan 29, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #308 of 4,690
Tell me, how good is the Yamaha at handling many diverse genres? I love that aspect about my GR07, and the fact that I can just throw my phone on shuffle and go about my business. How do artists like Adele and James Morrison sound on the EPH-100? I'm just trying to to allay my new-found apprehensions about my purchase...although it's a bit late for that

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #309 of 4,690

Quote:
I now have UM3X and SE535 Red Edition to compare with the Yamahas, and the bass on the EPH-100 still has better punch and impact, while bass on the other 2 is strictly identical (good but more tamed). Essentially with the latter 2, you have to EQ bass up to approach EPH-100's natural bass.
I guess it is difficult for BAs to beat dynamic drivers when it comes to bass punch.
L3000.gif

That being said, the SE535 Red are providing my best mids experience so far, just in front of the EPH-100 (I don't remember the SE420 mids sounding so good despite the "classical" Shure forward mids). Separation is also a bit better with the SE535Red than with UM3X/EPH-100, which is not a small feat. Given the Shure's Red Edtion horrendous pricetag (370€ and luckily I escaped the 20% taxes upon entering the EU
devil_face.gif
), I sure am happy that they are THAT good.
But this doesn't remove any of the virtues of the Yamahas, which I still intend to keep for their comfort and isolation. I come to realize in a plane that the Yamahas are way faster and easier to fit and remove than Shures and Westones, which is handy when someone is bothering you every 5 minutes.
beerchug.gif

With about one month of comparison sessions with different music styles, I'd now say EPH-100 is probably the flattest IEM I've heard so far when using my Cowon X7 as the source. These are the only IEMs in my current stock which I don't have to EQ at all (a small BBE touch to open the sound like always, but no band equalization at all). That is if you like your bass to be punchy. Analytical sound lovers would surely EQ bass down.
To get a similar (=close, not identical) sound, I had to EQ bass and mids slightly up with the UM3X.
With Shure SE535Red, I had to EQ bass and treble slightly up, and mids slightly down (small v shape).

Interesting comparison. I just don't understand why are we comparing them to $300-$400 IEMs and not $100-$150 IEMs
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Tell me, how good is the Yamaha at handling many diverse genres? I love that aspect about my GR07, and the fact that I can just throw my phone on shuffle and go about my business. How do artists like Adele and James Morrison sound on the EPH-100? I'm just trying to to allay my new-found apprehensions about my purchase...although it's a bit late for that

For me, at this moment, UM3X for jazz, EPH-100 for everything else.  

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #310 of 4,690

Quote:
Interesting comparison. I just don't understand why are we comparing them to $300-$400 IEMs and not $100-$150 IEMs
wink_face.gif

Actually 370Euro = $490 Vs $115 for EPH100

Shows the EPH100 can play ball with the big guys & win some.

Quote:
I now have UM3X and SE535 Red Edition to compare with the Yamahas, and the bass on the EPH-100 still has better punch and impact, while bass on the other 2 is strictly identical (good but more tamed). Essentially with the latter 2, you have to EQ bass up to approach EPH-100's natural bass. I guess it is difficult for BAs to beat dynamic drivers when it comes to bass punch. 

That being said, the SE535 Red are providing my best mids experience so far, just in front of the EPH-100 (I don't remember the SE420 mids sounding so good despite the "classical" Shure forward mids). Separation is also a bit better with the SE535Red than with UM3X/EPH-100, which is not a small feat.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #313 of 4,690

Quote:
Even if its not your cup of tea eke2k6 at least its not costing you that much compared to say a top tier that you came not to like.

So what is your preferred genre of music ?

That's just the thing...I don't have one. I listen to R&B, Indie, Rap/Hip-Hop, African Soukous, Reggae, Dancehall, Flamenco, Reggaeton, Blues, Classical, a little bit of country, Folk, Gospel, EDM (except dubstep), House, Jazz, Rock, Alternative, Piano Rock, Soul, Soca, New Orleans Bounce...I think you get the idea. 

I guess you're right. If I don't like it, it should be easy to trade for something I've always wanted to try or I could just sell it back.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #314 of 4,690
eke2k6, if you don't like them for any reason, I buy them to you to have as a backup. Would like to loan mines, etc, but ATM I just can't leave without them, so a spare would be nice ; )

But if you listen to R&B, Indie, Rap/Hip-Hop, African Soukous, Reggae, Dancehall, Flamenco, Reggaeton, Gospel, EDM, House, Rock, Alternative, Piano Rock, Soul, you'll most probably love them.

Jan 29, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #315 of 4,690
On my side, I think I may end up selling the UM3X, maybe to Lostid, I'm sure he would enjoy them a lot for classical.
biggrin.gif

No pun intended.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back