Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #226 of 4,690
They just make the GR-07's sound so dry, so lifeless, so small ; )

Will elaborate when they reach the 50 hours. All I can say for now is that this is other league and I prefer them to the UM3X. Ok, enough said for now :D

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #227 of 4,690

Quote:
They just make the GR-07's sound so dry and small ; )

Will elaborate when they reach the 50 hours. All I can say for now is that this is other league and I prefer them to the UM3X. Ok, enough said for now :D

Big words . .  .
blink.gif

Does that mean no more impressions for 2 days ?

@roboman

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

They accept Paypal & do International delivery at very reasonable rates.
Last i check for US was $115 delivered.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #228 of 4,690
Will post a few words as I notice some improvements : )

But I can't review them right now as this may get even better. But dude, this is the best IEM I have ever heard and this is right out of the box.

I can't believe I paid 90 EUROS for this!! But I was not expecting other thing from YAMAHA. A legend on professional studio monitors. Just wasn't expecting THIS much.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #229 of 4,690

Quote:
Big words . .  .
blink.gif

Does that mean no more impressions for 2 days ?

@roboman

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

They accept Paypal & do International delivery at very reasonable rates.
Last i check for US was $115 delivered.

Thanks a lot! The price for me with delivery to Holland is 86 pounds, about 100 euro's. That saves me 30 euro's, in Holland they cost 130 euro!

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #230 of 4,690

Quote:
They just make the GR-07's sound so dry and small ; )

Each is entitled to his own opinion but I still prefer the UM3X, for the more natural treble mainly.
But vocals, drums and guitar are more FUN (and forward) with the Yamahas!

And comfort-wise, EPH-100 all the way.
UM3X don't sound "right" to me unless I use triple flange tips (you lose in detail with single flange tips/foams), and triple flange are not easy to forget when you have them inserted... can't wear my UM3X for more than an hour straight, my ears start itching too much afterwards.

So EPH-100 remain really amazing for the value (especially in the UK).

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #232 of 4,690
Well it seems that the GR07 is more accurate to the recording (these being clearly bassier), so it will be a matter of taste. Instrument separation/imaging and that 3D perception (dynamic range) seem strengths of the microdriver design, FXT90 shares that as well.

Since the drivers are so small, they tend to be faster with transients since movement of the coil is more effortless which make them more BA-like. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #233 of 4,690
Indeed, question now is how many GR-07 owners will jump ship
ksc75smile.gif

Than there are the ones that already jumped to FXT90.

I'm looking forward to hearing impressions against that one too.
I believe Nulliverse is in possession of those so this might happen soon.

*EDIT*

Although the supplied tips provide a great fit & isolation I'm not a fan of dual flange & keep on pulling them in & out.
I always prefer single silicon tips where possible - slightly looser/softer fit.

Can anyone recommend alternative single flange tips that will fit these micro drivers ? Maybe Meelec range ?

The one on the Monster trumpets look very enticing but not sure if these can be ordered from anywhere.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #234 of 4,690

Quote:
Well it seems that the GR07 is more accurate to the recording

Not true (at least to my ears)
wink_face.gif

But yes, they are more BA-like (but better than the BA's I know - UM3X/SM3/j-phonic K2 SP). At least they give me a more enjoyable/immersive listening experience, which is what cares me the most on a IEM/phone for portable MP3/FLAC listening.

Concerning treble, its almost as good as the UM3X (properly equalized), but lets see if it improves with burn-in. 6 hours is not sufficient for a final judgement, although they (the EPH100's) already sound as anything else I've heard till date (IEMs of course). A mix of Hippo VB (bass) with UM3X (everything else), with a YAMAHA's touch. Very peculiar sound. 

It's that guy, archy121, thats making me talk too soon
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #235 of 4,690
Well I just ordered mine from Audio Affair and hope to have them in a week or 2.  I'll have a loaned pair of GR07's to A/B them with along with my FXT90 which will be fun.  From they way everyone describes the sound signature I think I'm going to really like these because I'm really starting to like the more monitor style IEM's.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #236 of 4,690

Not true (at least to my ears)
wink_face.gif

But yes, they are more BA-like (but better than the BA's I know - UM3X/SM3/j-phonic K2 SP). At least they give me a more enjoyable/immersive listening experience, which is what matters me the most on a IEM/phone for portable MP3/FLAC listening.

Concerning treble, its almost as good as the UM3X (properly equalized), but lets see if it improves with burn-in. 6 hours is not sufficient for a final judgement, although they (the EPH100's) already sound as anything else I've heard till date (IEMs of course). A mix of Hippo VB (bass) with UM3X (everything else), with a YAMAHA's touch. Very peculiar sound. 

Well how are the Yamahas more linear/accurate? more linear bass with less midbass? more treble presence while having more refinement? enjoyable doesn't equate to more accuracy. VB and UM3X are more about coloration than accuracy fwir 

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #237 of 4,690
Indeed, i have linear phones and they are accurate but rather boring, i only really use them if i need detail.

Archy, i think tienbasse said the meelec M9 tips fit fine.

Trouble is it involved ordering from their site, mind it's just $9.99 trouble is shipping would probably be double that.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #238 of 4,690

Quote:

Well how are the Yamahas more linear/accurate? more linear bass with less midbass? more treble presence while having more refinement? enjoyable doesn't equate to more accuracy. VB and UM3X are more about coloration than accuracy fwir 

More accurate, I think, but FUN. More accurate bass (great texture, definition, speed and extension) with less midbass. Great treble presence without the refinement of the UM3X/SM3. No mid-bass hump coloring vocals, which is interesting for a IEM with such bass quantity. Vocals sound as natural as on the GR-07's (more natural than the UM3X). By the way, sub-bass is VERY impressive.

For eg, an acoustic guitar can sound as real as it is in the real life since sound is so full-bodied and rich and lively. And when the drums start to play you feel all that impact on your body as you feel when you are listening to a live concert (of course here it is not on the body but inside your head, but its almost the same sensation). It makes vibrate my chest such as the enthusiam, the energy, the impact and the realism of the performance. Its a truly remarkable experience.

I'm listening to songs I didn't like before (even with the UM3X) and I'm loving the experience. Makes the GR-07's sound so unexistant and even the SM3 sound so small. Not to mention the instrument separation that is superior to the UM3X (which were the IEMs with the most impressive instrument separation I've heard till I hear the Yamahas). They never congest. I got some songs (Progressive Metal) where even the UM3X couldn't render all the layers properly, so they sounded congested. Never happens with the Yamahas. Hearing Metal with this is a unique experience for a IEM. 

The thing is: they're FUN, but accurate IMHO.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #239 of 4,690

Miow -Seems like you are most impressed with them. I'm glad to have bought them to your attention.
What tips are you using ? Standards ?

Looks like the GR07's are heading to the 'gone' part of your signature
rolleyes.gif

Huxley thanks for reminding me about Tienbasse's earlier post. He actually got the M11 tip set.
I have dealt with Meelec before & they are really nice people. They will allow you to buy a 5 pair pack of your choice @ $4.99 & $6.95 for regular post to UK.
Not bad. I might order these if i can't get hold of the Monster Trumpet ones. They look like they are made for the job without need of extra stuffing.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #240 of 4,690
Man Miow your really hyping these up a lot and I hope they have all the qualities your stating.  If they can have the accuracy and detail of a balanced armature with the bass and presence of a dynamic then these might just be the IEM's I've been looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back