Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #151 of 4,690
Definitely not neutral like the vsonics, even though I wouldn't call them totally neutral after hearing other IEM's -

These have more thump naturally and certainly are more mid focused, though the highs are impressive themselves, I don't notice and sibilance or fatigue after nearly 3 hours of listening, very relaxed and joyful sound - I adored the GR07's but i never bopped my head like I'm doing with the Yamaha's :)

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #153 of 4,690
I sold my Vsonics last week and didn't listen to them for about 3 weeks previous, but from what I can recall they share similarities -

Again, the bass on the Yamaha's is noticeably more forward and dominant in the overall sound signature, but saying that I wouldn't call it overpowering - I much prefer the thud and roll of the bass on the Yamaha's, the GR07's bass when very deep but it was never anything that made me smile about the Vsonics (more the detail and soundstage)- Whereas on these it does.

The bass was tighter on the GR07's but I notice a considerable difference on the Yamaha's from my desktop rig and my portable rig un amped. They are still very quick across the board and the bass is separated very well.

Mid wise I would say they're very similar, I'm impressed with these as I was the GR07's, I'm not a massive mid range fan (I don't base my choice on midrange proficiency) - But I'd say that's where the performance similarity lies between the two.

I quite like a laid back sound that's enjoyable whilst staying casual, not something that fatigues you after an hour, although I'd say the Vsonics didn't fatigue me, I couldn't listen to them for 4 hours like the Yamaha's or the Tandems. Technically I'd still say after 250+ hours the GR07's were ahead of the Yamaha's and Tandems, but now after nearly 300 on my Tandems, they're starting to win me over - I'm hoping the Yamaha's just improve. I mean it could just be a massive placebo and also probably just lies on your ears getting used to the sound, but I for one can notice a considerable change.
The sound of the Vsonics to me was boring and dry at first, but once you have listened to them for a week or so and got those hours on them, that's when they'll really grow on you - You'll either love them or hate them, but I was nowhere near as impressed with the GR07 as I am with the EPH100 straight out of the box.

If you're in the UK and can get them from Audio affair for the price of £79 they're a steal, the build quality, looks, design and fit wins over the GR07 for me alone - but then again, I was in search for a fun relaxed universal I have my Miracles for pure performance and neutrality, which is why the Vsonics just gathered dust - personal preference, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either -

Just do what I do and get both if you can spare, then sell/return the ones you don't like as much - No doubt my ears hear different to others so it's all based on the individual :D

Essay over, sorry.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #156 of 4,690

Quote:
I sold my Vsonics last week and didn't listen to them for about 3 weeks previous, but from what I can recall they share similarities -
Again, the bass on the Yamaha's is noticeably more forward and dominant in the overall sound signature, but saying that I wouldn't call it overpowering - I much prefer the thud and roll of the bass on the Yamaha's, the GR07's bass when very deep but it was never anything that made me smile about the Vsonics (more the detail and soundstage)- Whereas on these it does.
The bass was tighter on the GR07's but I notice a considerable difference on the Yamaha's from my desktop rig and my portable rig un amped. They are still very quick across the board and the bass is separated very well.
Mid wise I would say they're very similar, I'm impressed with these as I was the GR07's, I'm not a massive mid range fan (I don't base my choice on midrange proficiency) - But I'd say that's where the performance similarity lies between the two.
I quite like a laid back sound that's enjoyable whilst staying casual, not something that fatigues you after an hour, although I'd say the Vsonics didn't fatigue me, I couldn't listen to them for 4 hours like the Yamaha's or the Tandems. Technically I'd still say after 250+ hours the GR07's were ahead of the Yamaha's and Tandems, but now after nearly 300 on my Tandems, they're starting to win me over - I'm hoping the Yamaha's just improve. I mean it could just be a massive placebo and also probably just lies on your ears getting used to the sound, but I for one can notice a considerable change.
The sound of the Vsonics to me was boring and dry at first, but once you have listened to them for a week or so and got those hours on them, that's when they'll really grow on you - You'll either love them or hate them, but I was nowhere near as impressed with the GR07 as I am with the EPH100 straight out of the box.
If you're in the UK and can get them from Audio affair for the price of £79 they're a steal, the build quality, looks, design and fit wins over the GR07 for me alone - but then again, I was in search for a fun relaxed universal I have my Miracles for pure performance and neutrality, which is why the Vsonics just gathered dust - personal preference, I don't think you'll be disappointed with either -
Just do what I do and get both if you can spare, then sell/return the ones you don't like as much - No doubt my ears hear different to others so it's all based on the individual
biggrin.gif

Essay over, sorry.

I wouldn't rely too heavily on sonic memory. I once had a bout of temporary insanity once when my GR07 was away. I thought the monoprice 8320 could replace my GR07 should anything ever happen to the return shipment 

rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #157 of 4,690

Quote:
Just do what I do and get both if you can spare, then sell/return the ones you don't like as much - No doubt my ears hear different to others so it's all based on the individual
biggrin.gif

Essay over, sorry.

This is interesting. So while being musical, the EPH is also soothing/relaxing as well?

Would you say that the GR07's would be technically better, yet less impressive in terms of musicality?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #158 of 4,690
I'm wrecking my brain trying to decide between this pair and the Sony MDR EX600. Either one will be my first decent pair of earphones. Which one would the posters here recommend for jazz and classical music listening?

Jan 19, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #159 of 4,690
Weellllll... I just pulled the trigger on the EPH-100.  I figured that the GR07 couldn't be that much better than the EPH-100 for $40 more.  The EPH-100 is going for 139 on amazon now, $10 cheaper than before. They should be here on Friday!
I should have checked before ordering, but has anyone returned IEMs through Amazon before?  

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #160 of 4,690

Quote:
Weellllll... I just pulled the trigger on the EPH-100.  I figured that the GR07 couldn't be that much better than the EPH-100 for $40 more.  The EPH-100 is going for 139 on amazon now, $10 cheaper than before. They should be here on Friday!
I should have checked before ordering, but has anyone returned IEMs through Amazon before?  

Write your impressions and comparisons with the GR07 when you have received and spent enough time with them thank you! :)

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #161 of 4,690

Eahea3174 I had ex600 on list as well at one time. But dropped it for two main reasons. Not so good isolation & emphasis on treble than bass. I really can't take sharp music to my ears for periods. I wanted something warm, relaxing & musical with clarity like my K240M's.

To my ears the EPH100's compare well to my open back AKG K240M headset because of its fantastic separation & enveloping sound stage, the sound really does not feel closed in like some IEM's.  I find it has enough clarity to please without becoming analytical or treble high for my ears. I am hearing new sounds in familiar tracks that i never new existed. 

Which would give you more pleasure with classical/jazz I couldn't say. If you had said Trance/Electro/Rock as your main listening genre I would have not hesitated to recommend EPH100's.

James444 gave some comparative details earlier which might help you.

Quote:
Well, that was the first thought that came to mind and I actually meant it as a compliment. The EPH-100 and Ety MC3/5 share some similarity in technical design and flat monitor-like balance, with slightly tuned down and forgiving treble, but whereas the Etys are undynamic and soulless, the Yamahas provide good dynamics and a moderate bass boost (but less than the FX700) for a bit of added fun. Overall their signature is slightly laid-back and mid-forward like the e-Q7, but you get that great DD timbre and bass texture without having to compromise in isolation like with other top DDs. They're maybe a tad short of the very best in resolution, but have nice separation and pretty good soundstage for deep fitting IEMs. So far the best closed dynamic driver based IEMs I've tried (haven't heard any of the Monsters though) and pretty good value for €140 imo.

Between these and the EX600, both are reasonably balanced, but the Sonys are leaner, clearer and have more emphasis on treble, whereas the Yamahas are more polite on top and slightly more tilted towards the low end, with a bit more emphasis on mid-bass than the EX600. You won't get the Sony's almost headphone-like presentation with the EPH-100, but soundstage and isolation are usually tradeoffs and if you need the the latter, the Yamahas are undoubtedly the better choice.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #162 of 4,690
how do these compare with the grado gr8?

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #163 of 4,690
The Monster Turbine series are closed dynamics? What are some other closed dynamic IEMs like the EPH-100?

Would anyone be able to provide comparisons of the EPH-100s to the Monster Turbine Pros, in particular the Coppers?

Thanks.

Jan 20, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #164 of 4,690
First and foremost I'd like to express mounting concerns regarding my wallets emotional well being. Although it has displayed verbal aggression on a number of occasions since I joined Head-fi, its behavior has recently taken a turn for the worse, as was demonstrated by it's emotive outburst just seconds after I pulled the trigger on these. 
evil_smiley.gif

Miow, perhaps you should not have mentioned these to me? That said, Tienbasse is equally to blame for writing such a brilliantly informative review (the comparisons were particularly good).  
beerchug.gif

Anyway, wallet concerns aside, I'm looking forward to comparing these to the other IEMs I own at this price point. Will post my impressions in due course!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back