Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #61 of 4,690
Separation is excellent, bit hard for me to quantify but im picking things out quite easily, better than my customs if im honest.

Soundstage is a bit in the middle, not up front nor is it a wide open concert, it's like your sitting a few seats back, im certainly enjoying it.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #62 of 4,690

"better than my customs if I'm honest"
basshead.gif
Yikes !

Are you able to compare the sound stage size to a familiar IEM such as  IE8's -not sure if you have experienced these.

@dubeam01

£79.95 & free delivery to UK

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Yamaha-EPH100-Earphones/product_5924

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #65 of 4,690
Well for the price i feel nothing comes close, all except the GR07 of course.

They perform much like a high end iem would, i found it hard to fault them they're quite inoffensive.

Their timbre i feel makes them perfect for jazz, they are so laid back and soft, i just melted away listening to a bit of diana krall earlier on.

But i also threw on some lloyd - king of hearts, the bass went low and hard just as it should.

I love em.

Jan 5, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #67 of 4,690
I'm afraid I've neither heard the GR07 nor the FTX90. But like I said, the EPH-100 don't fall far short of the very best dynamic IEMs I've heard and have better isolation than all of them.

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #68 of 4,690
I'm afraid I've neither heard the GR07 nor the FTX90. But like I said, the EPH-100 don't fall far short of the very best dynamic IEMs I've heard and have better isolation than all of them.

How about compared to one of your favourites - EX600 ?

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #73 of 4,690
One thing that surprised me today.

I ran these straight from the hp on my fuze today, and they're actually hard for it to drive.

Ok it managed fine but i had to crank the thing, never expected micro drivers to be like that at all.

Btw does anyone know of any replacement tips?

I asked audio affair but no such luck, i might fire an email to yamaha later on.

Jan 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #74 of 4,690
I ordered a pair from Amazon and just got them today. I am very impressed. All I can compare to is the HJE900 and the TFTA 2100-3v2b, and I think both get destroyed in comparison. I guess it may be my personal preference, but the yam's are not bass light at all, no sibilance or shrillness, no recessed or laid back mids, and definitely nothing being muffled or smeared with mid bass: as in comparison with the other 2, especially being in the same price bracket. All of this straight out of the box too, and I'm sure they will improve over time, even if only a tiny bit. In addition I find that they are more forgiving with bad quality mp3s as well. I mainly listen to EDM, so I can't comment on any acoustic recordings.
These were purchased as a "try-out" pair, and if weren't liked were going back, but these are definitely keepers.
Not sure if I helped anyone with my comments, but I have to agree with the review being spot on, and for the price one cannot go wrong.
No problem driving them from a 4s, and as the pic above shows, they are very tiny.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #75 of 4,690
Appreciate all the comments from owners and recent buyers - I've had these on my Amazon wishlist for awhile and might just pull the trigger for a good "everyday" pair of universals!  I'm still trying to decide on customs (since I love dynamics) so having another good pair of universals would be great (and these are still quite a bit cheaper than IE8s/FX700s/EX1000s)

edit - to be clear I know there are single dynamic, hybrid dynamic/BA, and all BA customs - just want to be sure before investing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back