Yamaha EPH-100
Dec 19, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #31 of 4,690
Quote:
The EPH-100 and Ety MC3/5 share some similarity in technical design and flat monitor-like balance, with slightly tuned down and forgiving treble, but whereas the Etys are undynamic and soulless, the Yamahas provide good dynamics and a moderate bass boost (but less than the FX700) for a bit of added fun.

Quote:
now, for my next question: is this a warm or bright sounding iem?

Well, slightly tuned down treble + moderate bass boost = ?
wink.gif

I'd say they're not overly warm, but on the warmish side of neutral.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #32 of 4,690
I'm glad you appreciate them, James.

Very refreshing when compared to FX700, and in noisy transport, they work like a charm. Included tips are really high quality.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #34 of 4,690
Quote:
I'm glad you appreciate them, James.

Very refreshing when compared to FX700, and in noisy transport, they work like a charm. Included tips are really high quality.

Thanks, I really do. I'm rather a holistic than analytical listener and they work great for me as a whole. Solid sound quality, no major weaknesses, easy fit, good isolation and some additional niceties like tactile L/R markers and a chin slider that actually works. Of course they're a tad too polite in treble, but we have our FX700s for that, don't we? :wink:  Anyway, I have to thank you for bringing these to my attention, they do classical very respectably - and you can't really listen to classical in transport with the FX700 or EX1000. I also agree on the stock tips, sadly the're ever so slightly too small for me, so I'm using monster gel tips for a more secure seal, no problem.

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 4,690

Quote:

I also agree on the stock tips, sadly the're ever so slightly too small for me, so I'm using monster gel tips for a more secure seal, no problem.

Even the LL size was slightly too small (especially for my right ear).
Easy solution: take a pair of Comply T400. Remove the inner tubing. Cut the foam in two to get two rings.
With pliers, stretch the rings and place them under both flanges of the Yamaha LL tip.
With this done, the double flanges will keep their shape much better and fit perfectly even in huge ear canals.

I ordered some really large MEElec double flanges, but they haven't arrive yet, and I can't find Monster gel tips in France...

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #38 of 4,690
Excellent, i think i have finally found my iem of choice.

Been nosing at all the top teir models, i wanted the sound signature but with better fit and isolation that the EX1000/FX700

Plus they are £80 delivered over this side of the water, makes them a screaming bargain.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #41 of 4,690

Quote:
How would these compare to the FXT90s or the CC51s? It seems to have a similar sound signature to the FXT90s and a similar microdriver design to the CC51.

i cant comment on the fxt90.
but having both, cc51 and fx700, i can say they have the same nice timbre that are very rare from iems.
both have nice tight and defined bass.
open and more airy space for the fx700.
highs are more defined on the fx700 (serious), but the cc51 have the fun sig.
you cant go wrong with both. 

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #42 of 4,690
I've just got one of these. Got an opportunity to test it on Harvey Norman store. It sounds fantastic. Very forward mid, crystal clear high and full sounding bass. Very satisfied with it. As a background, i have denon ah-d2000 and i like the sound. This yamaha will replace my klipsch s4i which i used for 2 years as my in earphones. This yamaha sounds so much better than the klipsch. I can hear the difference straight away.

Got this one for $135 Aud. Thought this is a bargain because it sells $150 in US. After buying it, i found that eastwood hifi is selling it for $99!! Too late i've opened it.

I did compare it with the klipsch image x10, My first impression is that they are in the same level, just this yamaha got clearer high and forward mid. X10 was selling for more than $250, so for the price, it's a very good earphones

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #44 of 4,690
Hi, This is my first post. I've been a passive member on this forum over the last few days. I've done quite a bit of reading over the holidays on all the stickies and difference between BAs and Dynamics and getting a grasp of fundamentals in this space.
I listen to different genres of music but mainly classic rock, grunge, progressive, metal, blues and some jazz, with classic rock being the most that I turn to. Just to further elaborate, some of my fav bands are: Rush, Dram Theatre, Liquid Tension Experiment, Rolling Stones, The Who, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews Band, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Black Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, John Coltrane, etc.

I have a sennheiser cx300 for many years now which I am looking to upgrade. My requirements are as below:

1) Budget - 200$ (Can be stretched by 50$ max).
2) Best vfm(sound quality to price ratio) deal.
2) Fitting to genre of music as mentioned above.
3) IEMs considered with whatever limited understanding I've gathered so far are:
    Vsonic GR07, Yamaha EPH100
4) Comparison between the two.

I had made up my mind on GR07 till I read this thread on EPH100 which sounds something that may suit what I'm looking for. This is going to be my first monitor and I'm trying to get it as right as one can. I'm in the UK and I'm getting the EPH100 for 80£, GR07 for 105£. Without being able to actually demo these phones, this is the best I could do in terms of shortlisting. The other one I've also considered are the Triple fi 10. I've not shortlisted it after reading about the fit issues. Also I'm not sure how much I'll be ok with the phones jutting out of my ears.

Some isolation would be good, albeit I'm ok if it's 3.5 - 4 on a scale of 5. I'm looking forward to your views on if I've shortlisted the right phones and if there is something else out there that should be on my radar, especially considering my taste in music.
I would also need your inputs on if either of these phones would run on my ipod shuffle or would I need a portable amp. I'll be getting a Sansa zip soon to improve upon my source of input.Thanks for your inputs in advance.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #45 of 4,690
Personally i would buy a sansa fuze, the reason being you can run a line out to the amp, should you decide to go down that road, it makes for a good setup as the signal is nice and clean.

You can grab a factory reconditioned one on ebay from istor, for around £20 it's worth it.

From what i can gather, the GR07 will be brighter, borderline sibilant, so better for female vocals. Whilst the yamaha will be more laid back with the treble, but has more forward mids.

That's all i can add, personally im choosing yamaha, as i have small canals and have always craved for a dynamic with good isolation and real deep insertion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back