Yamaha EPH-100
Jan 19, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #4,651 of 4,690
I've been eyeing up the EPH-200 as my next IEM purchase for a little while now. I logged into eBay tonight to see if there were any good deals, got a random pop up coupon, and now I've got one headed my way. I'll be sure to leave some impressions once I get it.

Congrats on the purchase!

Hope they come soon.

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #4,653 of 4,690
I just ordered the EPH 200 too. Needed another iem with this form factor. We’ll see if it’s up to snuff with some other single driver IEMs I have...
They look great though. Hope the timbre is as described, that’s all I care bout these days, of course, at a certain level of competency.

Jan 27, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,654 of 4,690
IMG_0175.JPG
Make sure to burn in them well. They are definitely getting better in time. I did a little mod on mine and i drilled a 0,5 mm hole in housings to deliver some air to the drivers. Result is a bit more bass reproduction. Now it sounds great, 3-dimensional stage with preety good separation and natural timbre :)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #4,656 of 4,690
Going by your impressions that seems pretty similar to the EPH-100, which I still own and love! :ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #4,658 of 4,690
I received my EPH-200 on Monday, and I've been listening to them pretty exclusively since then. My initial impressions are quite positive in terms of sound, build, and comfort. I have been fiddling a lot with the fit (trying to decide how deep to insert the nozzles into my ear canal), and also experimenting with various tips. Most of the efforts to tip roll were an exercise in futility, but as of earlier this afternoon I am wearing them with KZ Starline tips and happy with the comfort and sound with these tips.

Stock tips sound good and were fairly comfortable, but these are just a little bit more comfortable for me and seem to make the sound stage a little bit more spacious. These KZ tips were nearly impossible to get onto these wide nozzles, but in the end my patience was rewarded. I completely failed with many others, with most I was unable to get them onto the nozzles, while Spiraldots and other similar wide-bore tips just slide much too far down the nozzle.

Ultimately I think I'll end up ranking these near the top of the pack of my personal collection. They offer a great mix of technical ability, the coherency/timbre you look for in a good single DD IEM, and provides some excitement in the bass/treble regions that is not over-done to my ears. I'll try to offer some more detailed thoughts and maybe some comparisons to my other favorites this weekend.

Feb 17, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #4,659 of 4,690
A bit later than I promised, but here are some more thoughts about the Yamana EPH-200. They are built to entertain, but in a plot twist, they don't accomplish that via the normal route of bloated mid bass and overemphasized treble. I'm a fan.

Design/Construction: A micro DD (6mm) in a long, barrel-shaped shell designed for pretty deep insertion. Kind of like Etymotics, but with a wider bore barrel that fits just a bit more shallow than the Etys. It's comfortable for me, but might not be for everybody, that wide nozzle might not be kind to every ear canal. The shells are made of polished aluminum, very lightweight and sturdy feeling, and have a nice appearance. Unfortunately, I did find that they can scratch easily if you're not careful, as I accidentally banged the left shell into the corner of my desk, and it did leave a slight mark on the finish. I do have the sense that they are built to last, however.

EPH-200 has some nice custom touches, like the mmcx connectors/cable that adjusts for different types of wear/fit and doesn't let the male end of the plug rotate in the socket. The cable is thin and a bit stiff, but the mmcx connector adjustment and chin slider combine for a stable and comfortable over-ear fit for me.

EPH-200 comes with custom, double flange tips. They worked pretty well for me in terms of sound, but felt a bit stiff when inserted deep into my ears. Out of curiosity, I experimented with many, many different types of tips, most of which were fully unsuitable for the EPH-200. T500 clones (barely) fit over the nozzle, but seemed unstable, and didn't allow for the proper insertion depth. Various wide nozzle silicone tips showed promise, but then just slid all the way down the barrel, pushing the outer grille flush to the end of the tips. I had a hunch that KZ Starlines would work, and after serious effort with some tweezers getting them on, they did the trick for me in terms of comfort and fit.

Isolation is superb. Possibly the best isolation of any IEM I own. Like having ear plugs inserted into your ears.

A fairly large but standard design case gets the job done for storage. The overall packaging/boxing experience is professional, but not particularly flashy.

Bass: Low end is geared towards sub bass extension.. Offers satisfying rumble, without ever losing control or becoming a distraction. Mid bass sits behind the sub bass, but has good presence and is not at all boomy or bloomy. Speed is good, as you might expect from a small DD. Only minor complaint on the bass is that it doesn't always sound as "musical" or "melodic" in the mid bass as some of my other IEMs that excel in that regard. It's a minor nit-pick though - the low end on display here offers impact, agility, and accuracy, and does it's job nicely.

Mids: Felt slightly recessed to me at first, but after figuring out the fit and after some burn-in, they're actually a treat. Mids are detailed, layered (more on that in a bit), and natural. Vocals sound great, with good accuracy and natural timbre for male and female vocals alike. Well recorded harmonies are particularly expressive and impressive. Electric guitars and synths have good texture and bite, while acoustic instruments sound natural and visceral (think: strings buzzing, fingers squeaking on strings).

Treble: Highs are not over emphasized. Feels like it was tuned for effortless, long listening sessions. Cymbals and high hats have good energy. Female vocals in the upper mids/lower treble have no "shoutiness". No sibilance. Highs offer up just enough energy and sparkle to provide a natural-yet-vivid presentation for genres like rock and pop. Treble is not peaky, overly bright or shrill, but also don't offer that last bit of extension and air that many people appreciate.

Other Thoughts: This is where things get interesting. The deep insertion fit makes the sound stage very intimate initially. Out of the box, I was somewhat disappointed, as the stage was fine in terms of width, but felt very linear, without depth or height. After 30 hours, my perception has changed considerably. Good height and depth are conveyed for an IEM. The overall stage feels well rounded, and not over extended in any relative direction. The sound stage dimensions are complimented/enhanced by the layering and separation the EPH-200 offers.

Layering and separation are stand-out attributes. Harmonized vocals stack up alongside each other, distinct and clear. Instruments occupy their own place in the mix .Drum fills sweep across the drummer's kit. Lead and rhythm guitars are placed apart from each other on the stage. The overall presentation delivers a lot of excitement, with different elements of the mix coming at you from different locations. The layering lends the perception of additional depth to the sound stage, and gives the otherwise modest highs an extra element of expressiveness due to their ability to be distinctly placed in the mix. Well mixed live recordings shine.

Timbre is good, very clean and natural sounding. It sounds neither warm, nor bright/thin. For those who enjoy the natural tone and timbre of a nice DD IEM, the EPH-200 delivers. Reverb and echo are rendered nicely. Detail retrieval is good, but not on par with either of the Etymotics I own (ER2XR and ER4XR), and probably not quite at the level of the JVC FDX1 either. However, I never feel "wanting" for detail with the EPH-200, and frequently find myself noticing new elements of songs or their production due to the layering and sound stage properties.

EPH-200 seem easy enough to drive, I find them easier to use plugged straight into my phone than the ER2XR, for example. I mostly listen to them with my Radsone ES100 or my desktop amp, and they scale well with the improved sources.

Summary: I like the EPH-200, a lot. Their vivid midrange and deep sub bass provide plenty of entertainment and excitement. Their approach allows the EPH-200 to act as a nice compliment/alternative to brighter and more analytical sounding IEMs as well as typical "commercially tuned" v-shaped sets. If the physical fit and insertion works for you, they're capable of hours and hours of extended listening sessions without fatigue.

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:21 AM Post #4,660 of 4,690
A bit later than I promised, but here are some more thoughts about the Yamana EPH-200. They are built to entertain, but in a plot twist, they don't accomplish that via the normal route of bloated mid bass and overemphasized treble. I'm a fan.

Design/Construction:
A micro DD (6mm) in a long, barrel-shaped shell designed for pretty deep insertion. Kind of like Etymotics, but with a wider bore barrel that fits just a bit more shallow than the Etys. It's comfortable for me, but might not be for everybody, that wide nozzle might not be kind to every ear canal. The shells are made of polished aluminum, very lightweight and sturdy feeling, and have a nice appearance. Unfortunately, I did find that they can scratch easily if you're not careful, as I accidentally banged the left shell into the corner of my desk, and it did leave a slight mark on the finish. I do have the sense that they are built to last, however.

EPH-200 has some nice custom touches, like the mmcx connectors/cable that adjusts for different types of wear/fit and doesn't let the male end of the plug rotate in the socket. The cable is thin and a bit stiff, but the mmcx connector adjustment and chin slider combine for a stable and comfortable over-ear fit for me.

EPH-200 comes with custom, double flange tips. They worked pretty well for me in terms of sound, but felt a bit stiff when inserted deep into my ears. Out of curiosity, I experimented with many, many different types of tips, most of which were fully unsuitable for the EPH-200. T500 clones (barely) fit over the nozzle, but seemed unstable, and didn't allow for the proper insertion depth. Various wide nozzle silicone tips showed promise, but then just slid all the way down the barrel, pushing the outer grille flush to the end of the tips. I had a hunch that KZ Starlines would work, and after serious effort with some tweezers getting them on, they did the trick for me in terms of comfort and fit.

Isolation is superb. Possibly the best isolation of any IEM I own. Like having ear plugs inserted into your ears.

A fairly large but standard design case gets the job done for storage. The overall packaging/boxing experience is professional, but not particularly flashy.

Bass: Low end is geared towards sub bass extension.. Offers satisfying rumble, without ever losing control or becoming a distraction. Mid bass sits behind the sub bass, but has good presence and is not at all boomy or bloomy. Speed is good, as you might expect from a small DD. Only minor complaint on the bass is that it doesn't always sound as "musical" or "melodic" in the mid bass as some of my other IEMs that excel in that regard. It's a minor nit-pick though - the low end on display here offers impact, agility, and accuracy, and does it's job nicely.

Mids: Felt slightly recessed to me at first, but after figuring out the fit and after some burn-in, they're actually a treat. Mids are detailed, layered (more on that in a bit), and natural. Vocals sound great, with good accuracy and natural timbre for male and female vocals alike. Well recorded harmonies are particularly expressive and impressive. Electric guitars and synths have good texture and bite, while acoustic instruments sound natural and visceral (think: strings buzzing, fingers squeaking on strings).

Treble: Highs are not over emphasized. Feels like it was tuned for effortless, long listening sessions. Cymbals and high hats have good energy. Female vocals in the upper mids/lower treble have no "shoutiness". No sibilance. Highs offer up just enough energy and sparkle to provide a natural-yet-vivid presentation for genres like rock and pop. Treble is not peaky, overly bright or shrill, but also don't offer that last bit of extension and air that many people appreciate.

Other Thoughts: This is where things get interesting. The deep insertion fit makes the sound stage very intimate initially. Out of the box, I was somewhat disappointed, as the stage was fine in terms of width, but felt very linear, without depth or height. After 30 hours, my perception has changed considerably. Good height and depth are conveyed for an IEM. The overall stage feels well rounded, and not over extended in any relative direction. The sound stage dimensions are complimented/enhanced by the layering and separation the EPH-200 offers.

Layering and separation are stand-out attributes. Harmonized vocals stack up alongside each other, distinct and clear. Instruments occupy their own place in the mix .Drum fills sweep across the drummer's kit. Lead and rhythm guitars are placed apart from each other on the stage. The overall presentation delivers a lot of excitement, with different elements of the mix coming at you from different locations. The layering lends the perception of additional depth to the sound stage, and gives the otherwise modest highs an extra element of expressiveness due to their ability to be distinctly placed in the mix. Well mixed live recordings shine.

Timbre is good, very clean and natural sounding. It sounds neither warm, nor bright/thin. For those who enjoy the natural tone and timbre of a nice DD IEM, the EPH-200 delivers. Reverb and echo are rendered nicely. Detail retrieval is good, but not on par with either of the Etymotics I own (ER2XR and ER4XR), and probably not quite at the level of the JVC FDX1 either. However, I never feel "wanting" for detail with the EPH-200, and frequently find myself noticing new elements of songs or their production due to the layering and sound stage properties.

EPH-200 seem easy enough to drive, I find them easier to use plugged straight into my phone than the ER2XR, for example. I mostly listen to them with my Radsone ES100 or my desktop amp, and they scale well with the improved sources.

Summary: I like the EPH-200, a lot. Their vivid midrange and deep sub bass provide plenty of entertainment and excitement. Their approach allows the EPH-200 to act as a nice compliment/alternative to brighter and more analytical sounding IEMs as well as typical "commercially tuned" v-shaped sets. If the physical fit and insertion works for you, they're capable of hours and hours of extended listening sessions without fatigue.

Thanks for the review! I'm kinda tempted to grab one even though I just got the ER2XR myself. I mostly use it with my phone, and hearing that they're easier to drive than the ER2XR has me intrigue. Looking at photos of it, I'm kinda digging how it looks too...

Feb 22, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #4,661 of 4,690
Thanks for the review! I'm kinda tempted to grab one even though I just got the ER2XR myself. I mostly use it with my phone, and hearing that they're easier to drive than the ER2XR has me intrigue. Looking at photos of it, I'm kinda digging how it looks too...
They are both superb IEMs. ER2XR has the slight edge in detail retrieval, big edge in treble extension, and moderate edge in bass accuracy/control. EPH 200 has a massive edge in sound stage and separation, has more vivid mids/vocals, and a noticeably bigger sub bass impact. ER2XR is smoother, EPH 200 is more exciting.

All things considered (sound, fit, isolation, fun) if I were forced to keep only one of the IEMs in my collection, right now I think I'd choose the EPH 200.

Also I was lucky to get a really good deal on my EPH 200, $130 from an eBay seller (in part due to luck on getting an eBay coupon).

Feb 23, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #4,662 of 4,690
They are both superb IEMs. ER2XR has the slight edge in detail retrieval, big edge in treble extension, and moderate edge in bass accuracy/control. EPH 200 has a massive edge in sound stage and separation, has more vivid mids/vocals, and a noticeably bigger sub bass impact. ER2XR is smoother, EPH 200 is more exciting.

All things considered (sound, fit, isolation, fun) if I were forced to keep only one of the IEMs in my collection, right now I think I'd choose the EPH 200.

Also I was lucky to get a really good deal on my EPH 200, $130 from an eBay seller (in part due to luck on getting an eBay coupon).

Thanks for the comparison man! I've been enjoying the ER2XR quite a bit myself, and it does sound like I might enjoy the EPH-200 as well, especially the more vivid mids/vocals and sound stage part. Time to go hunt for good deals. :beyersmile:

Feb 26, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #4,663 of 4,690
msS4BdY.png

Just received these. probably need more time with them, but initial impression after a few hours with them is good. I'm still quite new to the hobby and still learning how to talk about sound and all that, so bear with me here and please help to correct if I make any mistakes here so I can learn. :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Detail retrieval not quite at the level of the ER2XR. It has a bit more airiness to the sound which makes it sound a bit wider I guess? Sub bass has a bit more impact as mentioned, but still a good amount for my liking, and not excessive. Not sure if it's because of the sub bass, for some tracks with heavier bass, the lower mids presence can sound a tiny bit behind compared to the ER2XR, but I think it's still nice though, and fine for less bass heavy tracks.

I think the upper mids or maybe lower treble is a little more pronounced compared to the ER2XR? A track that stood out to me is Reol's Gekihaku where her vocals can sound a tiny bit hot at certain points in the track. BUT, that was with the tip that is one size smaller than the default, which I thought would give a deeper insertion depth. Turns out didn't really matter anyway, and I tried to switch back to the default size and it smoothed out that region for me. No idea why though, maybe the wider flange gave a better seal and increased the sub bass enough to balance it out??? Totally unsure of this. haha.

Now I think it's just nice. It gives that extra energy in the upper mids which I find gives female vocals a bit more energy and it's something I personally prefer. The ER2XR is a bit more neutral I guess? So in this aspect, I do enjoy the EPH200 a tad more.

For me the treble sounds fine for me on both, with perhaps the ER2XR having more treble extension I guess?

But overall, it's nice for sure, and I think for me the EPH200 might be a bit more fun to listen to for a bigger number of tracks in my collection. While trying compare them, the ER2XR being harder to insert and remove helps to make me appreciate the EPH200 a bit more too. haha. I probably gotta rest my ears for a bit now.

Capabilities wise, I still kinda feel like the ER2XR is better, but I kinda enjoy the EPH200 a bit more maybe because it suits my taste a little better. Well, will listen to them more, and if my impression changes (maybe it's the honeymoon phase still) I'll update my thoughts. But if I could only keep one at this point, I'll probably keep the EPH200. Of course, as per usual, YMMV since we all got difference preferences. :)

OH, and I got these at a pretty insane deal. I think Yamaha is trying to clear inventory or what here in Singapore. They are on sale at just SGD $88 on their site which is around 63 USD?! So even with the use of a forwarder, it might still be cheaper than on eBay. Not sure when the sale is until though.

http://www.yamaha.com.sg/eshop/en/yamaha/AudioVisuals/EarphoneHeadphone/other-earphones/EPH200

Feb 26, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #4,664 of 4,690
OH, and I got these at a pretty insane deal. I think Yamaha is trying to clear inventory or what here in Singapore. They are on sale at just SGD $88 on their site which is around 63 USD?! So even with the use of a forwarder, it might still be cheaper than on eBay. Not sure when the sale is until though.

http://www.yamaha.com.sg/eshop/en/yamaha/AudioVisuals/EarphoneHeadphone/other-earphones/EPH200
Great initial impressions! and that is one hell of deal you got there, I paid 120 USD for mine!

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #4,665 of 4,690
Just a quick update. Sound itself is pretty much still very much enjoyable, and this is still one of the nicest looking IEMs I've seen. 2 of my friends jumped on the deal too and they like it too.
I did encounter an issue though. Within the day, I noticed that the cable was separated/broken at the y-split, exposing the wires underneath.

m2VynHD.png

Contacted yamaha sg and they did an exchange the next day, and the new unit was fine (kudos to them for the prompt response). Not sure if it's a common issue or not since the EPH200 is so uncommon, but seeing that the grooves along the cable is probably making it stiffer and less less flexible, and the way the cable broke for the first set I got, I was a little concerned about the longevity of the cable. Ended up using some heat shrink tubing to reinforce the area and move the point of stress from the y-split to a little lower along the cable instead. Well, or another option is to just replace the cable. :joy:

fTBinES.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back