Yamaha EPH-100
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,636 of 4,690
I wrote a post in help and recommendations forum but gonna past it here as well:

HI!
I am looking for a new set of iems, also i am a big fan of micro drivers and eph-100s. I am thinking about eph-200 but it is hard to get some impressions, i found a few comments about them in a eph-100's discussion but there is not to much about them. Can anyone describe me how are they sounds? What about general tonality? How they sound compare to eph-100 and is it the same driver? (I had like 3 pairs and had some issues with one speaker that stopped working after some time and there is Japan import with no warranty for eph-200 so i am affaird). I am curious if are they easy to drive from an iphone. Had the 100's and loved them so far but it is so hard to get some reviews about 200's, found unboxing of the 200's on bad boy good audio yt page but there is no review, albo i would be so so grateful for frequency response chart of these. thank you:)

Hmmm, haven't seen many impressions either. You can try google translating the Kakaku reviews https://review.kakaku.com/review/K0001003690/#tab (click on the box with the stars or on the 4th tab beneath the product info).

This won't help with the eph-200 but if you aren't familiar with Crinacle's measurement database, you can compare your eph-100 to a lot of things https://crinacle.com/graphs/graphtool/

Not particularly a fan of EPH-100, but FWIW IMO the Carbo Tenore is a half decent replacement. On a bigger budget maybe Massdrop+ (I prefer using with IEMatch) looks somewhat similar on FR graph or if you don't mind some more upper mid the Sony N3AP (personal favorite) might be good replacements.

I haven't heard them but maybe the Final Audio E-series. Have a good reputation and also check the micro-dyanamic box (at least some of them are), lots of options for different budgets

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4,638 of 4,690
So, did anyone ever manager to open these up?

I have a pair that my cat got hold of on day 1 of ownership and they haven't worked since (the cable is chewed).

Wouldn't mind trying to recable if I can get in to them without damaging.

Also, anyone heard of the EPH-100 issues affecting the EPH-200? (Driver flex, condensation, dim sound etc)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,639 of 4,690
Hello,

I have the eph-100 for 6 years. I has been very happy with it since but my tips has ripped. No body has found compatible tips ?
I tried to ask to the french customer service... they could provide replacement tips for about 40$.

Dec 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #4,640 of 4,690
Yamaha EPH200 just arrived this evening from Japan.

Initial impressions:
Very clean sounding. Tight bass, which is all about the sub-bass. Great impact and rumble. Zero bleed.
Vocals are perfectly placed, lacks a touch of warmth.
Treble is very well tuned, greatly detailed, never sounds harsh. NOT thin sounding. Cymbals and crashes have great body.
Soundstage is really special, puts you right in the middle of music. Stage has great height and depth. Lots of over the head sounds.
Dynamic driver timbre is perfect! Loving it. I can only see this getting better over time.
Oh, and piano especially sounds great in these!

Yamaha EPH200 measurements:
Yamaha EPH200 LR.JPG
edit: Calibrated measurements

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #4,643 of 4,690
They should make a TWS version. Would seem a good design to build a true wireless around.

Jan 5, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #4,645 of 4,690
Yamaha actually released TWS earphones, find out here https://jp.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/headphones/index.html

Not quite.:) I said they should make an TWS version of the EPH. Yes they, like everyone else, have/are releasing true wireless. Not the same nor as interesting as if they did an EPH TWS. Would think they could fit a bigger battery if the driver wasn't back in the housing as well. They put the driver out front there for the stage and spatial cues and less issue with housing reflection and vibration messing with the timbre. Some good and legitimate benefits but not in those fairly standard TWS models.

Jan 7, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #4,646 of 4,690
@prawdziwysimone If you still have the EPH100, can you do an A-B vs EPH200. Maybe, you can best say if they are using the same drivers or not.
I'm of the opinion (based on available measurements from different sources) that they slightly reduced the mid-bass quantity with the 200s.
Looking forward to your impressions.

Jan 7, 2020 at 6:04 AM Post #4,647 of 4,690
@prawdziwysimone If you still have the EPH100, can you do an A-B vs EPH200. Maybe, you can best say if they are using the same drivers or not.
I'm of the opinion (based on available measurements from different sources) that they slightly reduced the mid-bass quantity with the 200s.
Looking forward to your impressions.
Unfortunately i do not own eph-100 anymore but i had 3 or 4 pairs of them so i know them pretty well, sure i’ll be able to say If it’s different sound bettwen these two but no A to B comparison. Also for me there was a lift in mid-bas in eph-100. According to DHL i should get my eph-200 in thursday so can’t wait for them :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #4,648 of 4,690
Ok i got my EPH-200 today. Basically i agree with that what @iems0nly wrote down in his review. It's different sounding than eph-100 for sure. Sub-bass is slighty accented, no elevation on mid-bas. There was more bass in eph-100 in general. Mid range is great. Everything sounds very realistic. Treble is also pretty good for me. Not forward but i would not call them dark, bright niether. Separation is the star of the show. I like them and they definitely staying with me :)

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #4,649 of 4,690
Separation in the star of the show. I like them and they definitely staying with me :)
Yeah! It's this amazing separation that gives these earphone that clean sounding impression. My first evening with them, I just thought , yeah, these sound clean and nice. But, I just kept going back to them again and again. I woke up the next morning with a couple of songs in my head that I wanted to listen to right away with the new EPH200s. That's when I realised these are some special IEMs.

I highly recommend over-the-ear wear with the deepest insertion possible. This way, you get maximum treble extension. A shallow fit drags that 9Khz peak back to around 8Khz. Enjoy your music :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #4,650 of 4,690
I've been eyeing up the EPH-200 as my next IEM purchase for a little while now. I logged into eBay tonight to see if there were any good deals, got a random pop up coupon, and now I've got one headed my way. I'll be sure to leave some impressions once I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back