Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #4,621 of 4,690
It's amazing to see that this earphone is still gaining follower after 7+ years... This earphone is going to be classic...
It's a design masterpiece... It's not designed as the TOTL, but it served well with its strength...

I lately pull it out from storage once I got LG V20... and I fell in love again with this phone...

I'm glad to see the EPH-200 becoming their successor... but the price increased quite a lot..

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,622 of 4,690
There is only Real tip, Lostxxxxx Ebay seller for the foam tip and the non genuine one.
I'm missing out M i believe. The tip that come pre install on the earphone itself.

Ah okay, it's so sad that these earphones never had replacement ear tips. Makes the Eph-100 so exclusive.

It's amazing to see that this earphone is still gaining follower after 7+ years... This earphone is going to be classic...
It's a design masterpiece... It's not designed as the TOTL, but it served well with its strength...

I lately pull it out from storage once I got LG V20... and I fell in love again with this phone...

I'm glad to see the EPH-200 becoming their successor... but the price increased quite a lot..

Yeah they're still one of my favourite universals for sure, fantastic fit and lovely sound signature.

The EPH-200 are like $200 atm (Japan import only), which is way too much imo. As far as I can tell the only difference is detachable cables, and maybe the carry case. No idea why Yamaha won't distribute these in Europe, maybe at some point in the future.

I was planning to try the EPH-M200 too but they're really big so still considering it.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,623 of 4,690
Bought the Eph 200 in addition to my Eph100.
The Eph100 middle register sounds a little warm, slightly embellishing the sound. These are my favorite headphones.

As for the 200th, it's completely different headphones. They are both slightly larger in size and slightly thicker due to the design of the connector.
At first I thought that they only screwed the mmcx connector, but no. The sound is monitored, incredibly neutral, closer to balanced armature drivers, but the lower-middle register is much richer.
I really very like it !
The sound is very similar to their own series of monitor headphones (HPH-MT MT8, 220)
My balanced cable did not fit, but I was not very upset. It is necessary to try in the store, very rare cables are suitable. In the Nobunaga labs series, only two cables could fit with white connectors.
I think, a very successful update of the series. I can not say that Eph 200 is better or worse than Eph100k, no. They are very different, but the Eph100 and Eph 200, uniquely, are the best dynamic ears I've ever heard.

photo_2018-02-26_15-22-42.jpg

photo_2018-02-25_20-11-16.jpg

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4,624 of 4,690
I had the same issue that others here described where one side (the left, in my case) went quiet.

I bought these in 2014, so not a bad run, but I figured I'd mess with them a bit to see if I could fix the problem.

In my case, the problem was a membrane that sits right behind the grill. I think it's supposed to be glued to the grill, but came unglued and sat directly on the driver. Simply removing the grill and membrane fixed the sound issues for me. I know that the driver is now unprotected, but the sound is back to normal, so I'm happy that I was able to extend the life of these a little bit.

I removed the grill with a dart tip, but a needle would work, too. Just stay away from the middle of the grill and pry around the edges. If you're careful, you may even be able to reattach it after you remove the membrane. Here's a photo of the left with the grill removed and the right untouched:

c1JbGi-b_kttyBHe8fpzsmWupdXQ3ENGvrU1gohhFISqQYIg22yARQ2o4IWB37ds9dHHHL6ySjh9-MFKBN2pZ2hUl4ft3Q6PTeYVAfNpz749zTDPbB2sTkj_gEibPhfntBnixR9013k9m9Z-VB6pTJJC74Wr_yj_cI2OIIEyExBXjyiQw9HxeV15LGTQcfqzGIllPC1xYsL-AW1ptJH8LPt4m0eyKM7rch2TUq76guCzkxS7MueFspY9JxlBCFKAuWm9q0OnfU1dE20uYyjx4E-cpxzIOPOoj429KXBQnx7UNRCAzPwNPAGWpI9jI1nZDgf32A-ijyFzYfMWIJpm56eLMlKZhqzNmeyWPaaupCIqS4dPVWcNvkAmUJzUJDL_RYdKouxZdr3iXFD1GmSkBfT1MS6tqTDL1XUByqWOPkD8ZwIyTrm_OSx9YcafVjTCwu5nNnYr7OsYaMc_7h-jj4N6ENtGkx7CxlVKIbA1rQ7B1Q31pRqwfLpKAG8mrgvkeGF08dt1tYbBfNEMoBtEPhcGqhD6hs6qS-XA4ZlaRQqhprnUD9H5FICUQtkj-xk15iQnQY9O_wAVWIysC8fY_4IUl3jtFNBmWWs4ozhG=w731-h1298-no

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #4,628 of 4,690
I would also like to know if anyone has managed to recable these iems. My cable tore under my office chair :frowning2:

Has anyone tried Spinfit double flange? They seem the closest earbuds available to OEM.

AFAIK the only compatible SpinFit for Yamaha EPH 100 is the CP155 (https://www.amazon.com/SpinFit-CP155-Patented-Silicone-Replacement/dp/B078RKVNPN), since the bore of this IEM is a bit unusual.....

On a side note, my Yamaha EPH 100 has been running for 6 years now. Works really fine, but I wonder if anyone can give me a recommendation for an "upgrade" IEM? Will EPH 200 do? Or any other brand? Thank you.

Dec 16, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #4,629 of 4,690
Tried out EPH 200 at E-earphones a couple days back. V-shaped iem. What stands out immediately is the treble - its loud but with plenty of detail. Upper midrange is lifted as well. Midbass has a good slam to it but most of the time you're hearing the upper midrange, treble and midbass. I suspect this one is designed for Jpop and to an extent, JRock.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jan 5, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,630 of 4,690
How would the eph200 do with death/black metal, classical, jazz and hip hop? Also are they comfy. I'm after iems to use for hours every day

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #4,631 of 4,690
I need a new earphone :)

I used to own a EPH-100 and I loved the strong, clear but not fatiguing sound signature of it. I lost the earphone few years back. Now I need a new pair of earphone and I am considering to get another pair fo EPH-100 but also hearing good things about iBasso IT01 and wondering if anyone here have heard them. https://penonaudio.com/ibasso-it01.html?search=it01

I am actually considering to go up to $250 but I couldnt find one that I really like.

Also, any idea why I can hardly see any reviews on the EPH-200? It also seem pretty expensive now, Im curious how it compares to the EPH-100.

Feb 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #4,632 of 4,690
Tried out EPH 200 at E-earphones a couple days back. V-shaped iem. What stands out immediately is the treble - its loud but with plenty of detail. Upper midrange is lifted as well. Midbass has a good slam to it but most of the time you're hearing the upper midrange, treble and midbass. I suspect this one is designed for Jpop and to an extent, JRock.

The EPH-100 is one of the best IEMs I've ever heard for Trance music, there are plenty of others who would agree. I'm not sure about other genres.

How would the eph200 do with death/black metal, classical, jazz and hip hop? Also are they comfy. I'm after iems to use for hours every day

From what I've seen the EPH-200 is pretty much same construction as the 100, most likely with improved drivers but similar sound signature. They've had so much success with the 100 so I doubt they would change it drastically.

I need a new earphone :)

I used to own a EPH-100 and I loved the strong, clear but not fatiguing sound signature of it. I lost the earphone few years back. Now I need a new pair of earphone and I am considering to get another pair fo EPH-100 but also hearing good things about iBasso IT01 and wondering if anyone here have heard them. https://penonaudio.com/ibasso-it01.html?search=it01

I am actually considering to go up to $250 but I couldnt find one that I really like.

Also, any idea why I can hardly see any reviews on the EPH-200? It also seem pretty expensive now, Im curious how it compares to the EPH-100.

I think its mainly because of the price, I've not seen much feedback on the EPH-200 at all tbh. From what I gather they're really similar in terms of build quality and sound to the EPH-100, apart from the detachable cables of course.

People keep praising the iBasso IT01 over and over, so I think that would be a safe choice. Especially since the EPH-100 was discontinued a while ago so you're gonna have real trouble finding a pair brand new.

Feb 14, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #4,633 of 4,690
People keep praising the iBasso IT01 over and over, so I think that would be a safe choice. Especially since the EPH-100 was discontinued a while ago so you're gonna have real trouble finding a pair brand new.

As well as the possibility of getting a fake (happened to me one time).

Feb 14, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #4,634 of 4,690
The EPH-100 is one of the best IEMs I've ever heard for Trance music, there are plenty of others who would agree. I'm not sure about other genres.

From what I've seen the EPH-200 is pretty much same construction as the 100, most likely with improved drivers but similar sound signature. They've had so much success with the 100 so I doubt they would change it drastically.

I think its mainly because of the price, I've not seen much feedback on the EPH-200 at all tbh. From what I gather they're really similar in terms of build quality and sound to the EPH-100, apart from the detachable cables of course.

As well as the possibility of getting a fake (happened to me one time).

From the couple reviews I've got an impression that EPH-200 is brighter and more neutral. If that is not the case and they share the same sound signature I honestly might go ahead and buy the EPH-200.

I didnt know they discontinued the EPH-100. I found in amazon.ca and the fact that it could be fake didnt even cross my mind.

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:54 AM Post #4,635 of 4,690
I wrote a post in help and recommendations forum but gonna past it here as well:

HI!
I am looking for a new set of iems, also i am a big fan of micro drivers and eph-100s. I am thinking about eph-200 but it is hard to get some impressions, i found a few comments about them in a eph-100's discussion but there is not to much about them. Can anyone describe me how are they sounds? What about general tonality? How they sound compare to eph-100 and is it the same driver? (I had like 3 pairs and had some issues with one speaker that stopped working after some time and there is Japan import with no warranty for eph-200 so i am affaird). I am curious if are they easy to drive from an iphone. Had the 100's and loved them so far but it is so hard to get some reviews about 200's, found unboxing of the 200's on bad boy good audio yt page but there is no review, albo i would be so so grateful for frequency response chart of these. thank you:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back