Yamaha EPH-100 a Good Replacement/Upgrade of Etymotic MC5s?
Jun 27, 2012 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

midwestnowaves

New Head-Fier
For the past two years I've had and enjoyed a pair of Etymotic MC5s. Well, 2 pairs, as the housing broke on the first one. Now it happened to the replacement pair.

So I'm looking to move away from Etymotic, and am strongly considering the Yamaha EPH-100s. My chief considerations are:

1) Isolation. I work from home and have 2 small kids, so 'nuff said! Even if the Yamahas are a 4.5 compared to the 5 of the Etys on isolation this would work

2) Durability. I need something that's going to last a long time

3) Balanced sound. Don't want Monster-style bass emphasis, although a little extra bass compared to the flatness of Etys would be fine.

So, are the Yamahas the best bet for $150 or under? Or are there others that would better meet my needs? 

Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
For the past two years I've had and enjoyed a pair of Etymotic MC5s. Well, 2 pairs, as the housing broke on the first one. Now it happened to the replacement pair.

So I'm looking to move away from Etymotic, and am strongly considering the Yamaha EPH-100s. My chief considerations are:

1) Isolation. I work from home and have 2 small kids, so 'nuff said! Even if the Yamaha's are a 4.5 compared to the 5 of the Etys on isolation this would work

2) Durability. I need something that's going to last a long time

3) Balanced sound. Don't want Monster-style bass emphasis, although a little extra bass compared to the flatness of Etys would be fine.

So, are the Yamahas the best bet for $150 or under? Or are there others that would better meet my needs? 

Thanks in advance.

1) Yes, some of the best isolation I have had is with Yamaha EPH-100. I consider them to isolate better than Klipsch X10. I use mine around the house and can't hear much at all going on around me, plus with that isolation comes super amounts of comfort. Some of the best tips I've ever used.

2) EPH-100 are build pretty strong in my view, cable 'thickness'' is right on par with the best of them. Strain relief seems rather sturdy, I have noticed a small amount of movement back and forth but it's been there since dot. I think it's there to allow a little play. The housing themselves you'd be hard up crushing with a car tyre. They're solid aluminum  

3) From what you said you don't want Monster- style bass (I own Turbines) I think the bass amounts will be almost perfect for your needs. remembering EPH-100 bass settles after 50 - 80 hours a small amount. Open box it's very prominent and a touch in your face, it's only because the driver is stiff. Myself and many others can confirm it balances out.

imo you'd be hard up finding much better for $150 besides possibly.GRO7 which will not give you the same isolation.

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Many thanks for the timely and detailed response. So annoying that the build quality of the Etys is suspect, as I loved them other than that. Both times they broke from me simply removing them from the ear canal on one side.

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Many thanks for the timely and detailed response. So annoying that the build quality of the Etys is suspect, as I loved them other than that. Both times they broke from me simply removing them from the ear canal on one side.

Yep, It had/has nothing to do with your handling of the iem...

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back