y1 gamma-1 DAC
Jul 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #736 of 1,546
I might go for one but I may not need it until I find a need for USB, which will lead me to build another γ1 (lite version). Coaxial is readily available for me anyways.

Are optical receivers/transmitters somehow becoming scarce to find? Any issues with commercial audio companies (competition against DIY)?

Jul 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #737 of 1,546
I'm going to need about 6. I bought a bunch of boards and front panels and the rest of the amb store parts for a group of friends and then the project got back burnered. I'm planning to order the mouser/digikey stuff in the next week or two.

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #738 of 1,546
Sorry if this is considered a thread-crap, but is this a good starter project? I have basically no soldering skills to speak of, but I am eager to get into DIY before I really start shelling out the dough and thought a new source would be a good place to start (currently using a DAC with PCM2705).

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #739 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if this is considered a thread-crap, but is this a good starter project? I have basically no soldering skills to speak of, but I am eager to get into DIY before I really start shelling out the dough and thought a new source would be a good place to start (currently using a DAC with PCM2705).

Probably not the best 1st project for someone with no soldering experience. Some of the chips are pretty difficult to solder due to the small pitch surface mount.

The Mini^3 amp would be a good 1st project it is not too expensive part wise and has just 2 smd chips to solder which make it a little challenging and gives you the experience to do the gamma1.

However a cmoy is probably the best 1st project, very simple, very cheap and allows for a lot of tweaking.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #740 of 1,546
The γ1 was my second project after a botched BantamDAC, and while it is slightly easier, there are around a hundred parts to solder. It does get repetitive but the build is pretty straightforward. The most difficult IC to solder would probably be U1D, which has two sets of four pins that are approximately 5mm in width altogether.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #741 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by jar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to need about 6. I bought a bunch of boards and front panels and the rest of the amb store parts for a group of friends and then the project got back burnered. I'm planning to order the mouser/digikey stuff in the next week or two.

I am in need of 2 of these TORX147PLFT-ND , so if a bulk order from Farnell is placed count me in. Thanks much.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #742 of 1,546
well I discovered that if I order straight from farnell and my order amount is over $20 I do not encounter the $20 fee. So if you need the part and have other items that you can get from farnell that total over $20 you do not get charged extra.

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #743 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just an interest poll... how many people here need TORX147PL and how many pieces? As I said in the previous post, this part is in stock at Farnell UK, and can be ordered through Newark with an added $20 flat fee, so if there is sufficient quantity then the handling fee won't be too bad. Newark can get it delivered in 7-10 business days.

I need one. Thanks

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #744 of 1,546
As m1abrams said, ordering directly from Farnell is a good solution if you need other items. They have both the TORX147PL and TOTX147PL in stock.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #745 of 1,546
Hi,

I just tried my y1 under os x for the first time after building it, and noticed the volume control (master) is ignored. I read the PCM2707 data sheet and I noticed that master volume control is not supported, so does that mean there is no way to reduce the volume of applications that do not have volume control (like mail, icq etc) ?

Also, according to the data sheet master mute is supported, but still os x is unable to control it.

Is that the case, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Jul 11, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #746 of 1,546
You can reduce the volume of system sounds, which does take effect. (sound pref>sound effects). You could also route through an application called soundflower, and your system volume control will work.
You could also route some apps through preferences if you want to get them out of your sound path.
I'm not quiet sure how you'd go about individually lowering apps volumes relative to your tunes though. maybe wiretap but I dont remember and haven't got it in now...

Jul 11, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #749 of 1,546
Quote:

Originally Posted by funch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ship date for TORX147PLFT to Digikey is 7/31/2009

Hmm, where did you find this info? When I spoke to Digikey on the phone just 2 days ago I was told 9/30. If it's really 7/31 then it's not too bad.

EDIT: I see now, if I add some TORX147PLFT-ND to my cart then it has a link to show me the lead-time, which says 7/31. I hope it's real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back