Y connector on Micro Amp
Jul 19, 2009 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
I assume that it should be possible to use a Y connector to drive two cans with the Ultra Micro Amp?

Jul 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume that it should be possible to use a Y connector to drive two cans with the Ultra Micro Amp?

technically you can but it may reduce the sound quality a little, but that's only my assumption. let's give some more experts here to answer this one.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #3 of 8
I was thinking, Grado 1/4 to 1/8 and then Grado Y connector. I could then connect two cans, then enjoy a movie on the machine with the missus while we're both enjoying the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
Some loss in quality wouldn't matter under such circumstances.

Jul 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

I was thinking, Grado 1/4 to 1/8 and then Grado Y connector. I could then connect two cans, then enjoy a movie on the machine with the missus while we're both enjoying the sound.
smily_headphones1.gif
Some loss in quality wouldn't matter under such circumstances.

Fine as long as you are using the same model of headphones, otherwise you'll have serious volume mismatch. Shouldn't have any major quality issues.

Jul 19, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 8
Hmmm. That's true. The Denons are way more sensitive than the HD650's.

I'll see how things are with the Grados.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Hmmm. That's true. The Denons are way more sensitive than the HD650's.

I'll see how things are with the Grados.

Get an inline volume control to use with the more sensitive headphones and you'll be fine. You are then getting into quality issues, but for movies or whatever it'll still sound good.

Jul 20, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 8
Yeah, on all our units with two jacks thay're just in parallel on the inside. The amps have plenty of umph to drive two cans. The potential volume missmatch is the only problem.

Jul 20, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Sloth,

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have one of those volume control units I got with, I think, my Westone 3's... or was it the IE8's?

Anyway, it could be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back