XTC Re-releases?
Aug 8, 2002 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AngusMcToon

100+ Head-Fier
XTC is reissuing the entire catalog in the last few weeks, boasting 24 bit remastering, and bonus extra tracks that don't in fact duplicate the 4-disc box set of rarities they put out a few months back.

I did pick up Nonsuch today in reissued form, and it sounds great. But I can never tell how much XTC is enough. At their best, I love the band. But I can rarely sit through an entire disc patiently, tend to like the hits, find some of the flubs on recent discs especially downright embarrassing, and after the box set, I'm pretty much maxed on outtakes and sub-releaseable XTC.

But I don't have some of those classic disks like English Settlement, and even Skylarking on CD. Might have to get more of these? What do you think? and if you're a fan what are the essentials?

Is this all just too much XTC?

Aug 8, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 7
i think XTC is probably the 2nd best band after the Beatles.

Andy is a genius.

Quote:

Is this all just too much XTC?

there can never be too much XTC.
tongue.gif

Quote:

But I don't have some of those classic disks like English Settlement, and even Skylarking on CD. Might have to get more of these? What do you think? and if you're a fan what are the essentials?

my fave XTC discs:
1. english settlement (1982)
2. drums and wires (1979)
3. nonsuch (1992)
4. black sea (1980)

my least faves:
1. mummer (1983)
2. skylarking (1986)
3. the big express (1984)

are these the same remasters Markl was talking about a while back?

Aug 8, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #3 of 7
I was wondering the same thing. I got a remastered version of English Settlement (their best, IMO) months ago. Are these the same series, or have they released *another* set of remasters???

Aug 8, 2002 at 11:44 AM Post #4 of 7
I think they're different. They've been coming out on the new release lists for the last 2-3 weeks, and have cardboard covers that include the original packaging, an insert sleeve and a sort of multi-lingual presentation thing--Japanese characters, a few different languages--on these little tabs covering the spine.

But maybe just the last 3 or 4 are new...definitely saw new versions of Mummer, Black Sea, English Settlement, Drums and Wires, Nonsuch. There was also an older 20-bit remastered reissue of Oranges and Lemons in the bin, but 5 of these in the "New This Week" bin.

And wow...when you see those dates...oh right, that's why I have those records on vinyl...

They have been prolific, even with long layoffs now and then, nervous breakdowns, and what have you.

Aug 8, 2002 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 7
AngusMcToon,

how does your new disc sound? do you have the original version of nonsuch to do a comparison?

the smarest monkeys has been a bass demo tune of mine for years!

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by arnett
AngusMcToon,

how does your new disc sound? do you have the original version of nonsuch to do a comparison?

the smarest monkeys has been a bass demo tune of mine for years!

smily_headphones1.gif

Unfortunately, I never owned it before...have heard what's on the Upsy-Daisy Assortment disk to compare...Peter Pumpkinhead (my favorite xtc tune) I guess is the only tune from Nonsuch? I would say it sounds slightly improved but it's a relatively small increment overall at least on that one tune.

It's funny you mention the Smartest Monkeys though...it has an incredible production sheen that stands out on the disk and made me hit the repeat button today. (I see that the late Gus Dudgeon is the producer here.)

It sounds very good. This was one of the few of these new releases that didn't have 4 or 5 bonus tracks.

The packaging is nice...a picture sleeve, a pull out with the original cover lyrics on one sheet, then an unfolding larger sheet with lyrics in English and Japanese. No liner notes though. Supposedly this is all a reflection of Partridge & Co regaining rights to their own materials recently.

Misc, AMcT

Aug 8, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 7
The ones that came out a few months ago were English imports and hence a bit more expensive. Sound is VASTLY improved on these vs. original issues. i wasn't aware they were going to re-release them here in the states-- could have saved a few bucks-- oh well. I have all the English remasters except for White Music, Go2, and Mummer (not so fond of those discs). All the rest are definitely worth owning, but I'm a major fan from way back.

In order of personal preference, here are my recos FWIW:

1. Black Sea
2. English Settlement
3. Skylarking
4. Oranges and Lemons
5. Big Express
6. Drums and Wires.

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back