xp7 first impressions
post-807600
Post #1 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I read many writings about this amp paired with the ad979 op amp , being very musical , so i decided to try it over other semi portables amp . I was sure from readings that i would have received a portable amp with a non-compressed sound feeling , which was what i felt when i tried porta corda 2 , total airhead 2004 and others diy mini amps - and was what i wanted to avoid .

These my first impressions .
What i have to say first , to me this amp is a very strange beast
I can imagine it's a love or hate thing .
What it's for sure to me , it is a bass head + it is not neutral and not trying to give a real life feel .
I think who constructed it wanted it to sound the particular way it sounds .

After a little time to get used to the quite prominent midrange the ad979 give to her , my first thought is this amp + ad797 op. amp. ( by most regarded as the best match for her ) is not musical , it is poetical .
It makes music sound like it tries to filter prose to poetry... or at least ,it brings you music on a velvet carpet .
A fine-grain heavy and quite dark velvet carpet .

While the gilmore lite was trying to make you understand the deepness of the instant cut of sounds , this amp goes opposite way , it has a very lush smooth sound , let you ear the bass ( and the quite rolled off highs ) and see the rest that's following , but in the meantime is bringing you a musical message, she doesn't want to make you analize the instant but she wants your big attention for the whole
if the colors of the gilmore were white / cold blue / brown / gray and black , quite separeted and well defining the lines in the picture , the colors of the emmeline xp7 are orange , yellow , red , pink , green ,cyan ..and others , melted togheter in a refined way . And are the picture , less trying to define one .

The gilmore is easy an impressionist painter , or i 'd say also an architect ,who try to give you a good image of reality , or try to do a good construction ( I'm watching it and admiring it , but it's not the reality ) .
On the other side the emmeline is lightly expressionist , but in a very subtle way .. she unconsciously gives you the reality somewhat filtered through her particular subtle way of seeing it ( i feel somewhat more moving in it vs admiring it , but it's not the reality ).

I feel both amp are refined both are not the real life thing both deserve a detailed presentation , yet they are very different and are not easy to compare .

I read somewhere on the forum that this amp make you ear most the end of the sound while others ( ex. the LaRocco PR ) are more grabbing on the first part of the sound , and to me this is true .

I felt pushed to write down soon my opinion because i feel it is going to change in the next hours
Forgive my english it is bad .

post-807609
Post #2 of 17

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Very interesting comparison. Thanks for letting us know.

post-807665
Post #3 of 17

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I just did a comparison between the XP7 and my new Grace 901. Compared to the Grace, XP7 is on the darker, more mellow side. Considering XP7 runs on batteries, I am amazed how well it stands up against the Grace.

post-807728
Post #4 of 17

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Aren't batteries supposed to be "cleaner" than power supplies?

post-807789
Post #5 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Aren't batteries supposed to be "cleaner" than power supplies?

Generally speaking for portables , batteries underpower the unit if the unit is power hungry

post-807809
Post #6 of 17

ooheadsoo

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
But for amps designed to be powered by batteries, like the xp7, it should be ideal. Doesn't it have the designed rechargeable battery pack, or am I thinking of another amp?

post-807824
Post #7 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
But for amps designed to be powered by batteries, like the xp7, it should be ideal. Doesn't it have the designed rechargeable battery pack, or am I thinking of another amp?

You probably refer to the Larocco Pocket ref.

post-807839
Post #8 of 17

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I think the gain setting on the xp7 is probably turned up a bit more compared to the pocket reference.

Regardless, I like the transportability of the xp7. Even though I enjoy the Grace 901 more now (not sure if it is largely psychological, as I really need to justify Grace's purchase price), I like the fact that I can take my xp7 from one room to the other without having to plug/unplug a whole bunch of cords.

post-807866
Post #9 of 17

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
Reaction score
The Grace is a solid performer. The Built in DAC is just stunning. It is dead silent except on power on/off which can be cured using a power conditioner with a delay switch.

The DAC is better than the DAC you will find in several sources...much more rich sounding and encompassing in 3D...beautiful...

post-807891
Post #10 of 17

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Thanks for the refreshing review. Sometimes reviewers get lost in the "high end" of the English language. This sometimes leaves a person scratching there head wondering what they ment. Your straight forward approach was well taken, and I got a lot of information out of it. THANKS; Mike

post-808168
Post #11 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
thanks mikey
Today I'll pass some time in company of the emmeline xp7 + the ad 8610 op amp .It's sounding COMPLETELY different to me from pairing it with ad797 .
It seems another amp .

post-809194
Post #12 of 17

hottyson

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
I have had the Emmeline XP-7 headphone amplifier for almost four months now. I have had the AD797 opamps sitting in the drawer unused for a few months. I am trying to give the stock opamps proper burn in and also to get accustomed to the stock sound. I will still be giving it another month or two before giving the AD797's a trial. Even after I install the new opamps I will certainly give them a couple of hundred hours before coming to any conclusions.

How much burn in does your AD797 opamps have? Perhaps you might need some burn in time before coming to a final verdict.

post-809205
Post #13 of 17

ampgalore

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
I have the AD797 opamp in my XP7. I also have the stock opamp on the side. Has anyone tried other opamps beside these 2? Any other opamps that will the XP7 a bit more detailed?

post-809749
Post #14 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally Posted by hottyson
I have had the Emmeline XP-7 headphone amplifier for almost four months now. I have had the AD797 opamps sitting in the drawer unused for a few months. I am trying to give the stock opamps proper burn in and also to get accustomed to the stock sound. I will still be giving it another month or two before giving the AD797's a trial. Even after I install the new opamps I will certainly give them a couple of hundred hours before coming to any conclusions.

How much burn in does your AD797 opamps have? Perhaps you might need some burn in time before coming to a final verdict.

I'm sure this is true
but i think it's also an ear adapting thing over an opa burning thing ..and this amp has both a particular bass to midrange richness and fullness which is not so easy to analyze ...it's more easy for me to listen
there's a beautiful thread on the lounge with posts from both Jan Meier and Tyll from headroom ( and me
) starting from speaking of the sense of a crossfeed circuit in amps and finishing speaking of ears adapting capacity ..

anyway I'll say the ad8610 sound is more balanced - frq. more balnced in the whole rapresentation -the sound is less dark , bass is more controlled and sure it's also deeper and not boomy at all . Highs are more forward and extended ..and maybe a bit ringing but this is only a very subtle feeling ..

Again i can notice a midrange omph somewhere between , anyway this time it doesn't make sound seductive as it did with ad797 .. it may be some feelings are lost in favor of a more balanced spectrum

for now it's all i can say

post-809753
Post #15 of 17

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
ampgalore :ad8610 makes surely deatail easier to carve out to me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)