Xonar STX RCA output amped?
Feb 27, 2013 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shinndigg

New Head-Fier
I just bought an Asgard 2 to go along with my Xonar STX. I was expecting if I plugged the Asgard into the Xonar, the only volume control would be via the asgard. But I can also control it via the computer. Am I double amping? Google searches have not helped me determine whether the RCA outputs are in fact preamps or not. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Read the manual.

TLDR: the RCA output is not 'amped'.

Feb 27, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #3 of 7
I re-reviewed the manual and, in fact, under the section on how to connect speakers, it says the RCA outs are indeed amplified. 

Thanks for the reply, but if you're going to give me the "read the manual" (which I had done, I just skipped the speakers part since I wasn't connecting speakers) the least you could do is have read it yourself. =/

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
I re-reviewed the manual and, in fact, under the section on how to connect speakers, it says the RCA outs are indeed amplified.

Every output is "amplified" to some extent, but the RCA outputs do not use an amplifier specifically for headphones, only a line out buffer (an LM4562 op amp to be precise). It has a gain chosen so that the maximum output level slightly above 2 Vrms, which is standard for the line outputs of CD players. The 1/4" headphone jack on the other hand is driven by a TPA6120A2, and has a higher gain for an output voltage of up to 7 Vrms.

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your help! So even though the manual says "The Left/Right Front Out ports have a built-in high quality amplifier to drive headphones"? I shouldn't worry about any quality loss from double amping?

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 7
Sometimes manuals are older revisions or items get lost in translation.  The RCA outputs are LINE LEVEL so they are compatible with any consumer/pro audio gear such as amplifier, receivers...etc.
Hook it up and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back