Xonar Stx, headphone fail
Mar 27, 2011 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eXpander

New Head-Fier
After a year of lurking around this site and overclock.net sound forum i finally saved up the money to buy my first hifi [i consider it hifi, leave me alone!] set up. I bought myself the Xonar STX soundcard, some m-audio BX5a's, and a pair of Sennheiser 595's. let me just say WOW, i never thought music could sound so crisp and live. but i was a bit disappointed with my HD 595's. while the BX5a left my jaw dropped at how crisp it all sounds, the headphones were great and all but i felt they were just missing that WOW factor, i expected high end headphones + headphone amp to leave me starstruck but that wasn't the case.. i returned my HD 595's and want to try my hand at another pair. if you guys could help it would be much appreciated
My budget is 160-200 dollars
I mainly listen to 60% EDM [Trance, progressive, DnB] and 40% hiphop. and Pink Floyd all throughout :p so i guess you can say i need bass
thank you guys in advance

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 12
The HD595 is not a headphone that suits most of your genres which is probably why it's lacking that "wow" factor. For that, I seriously would say you should look at an Ultrasone HFI-580 and HFI-680. However, I will say that this is based on what I've read and not what I've actually heard. I've not had many headphones in the $160-200 range so I can't tell you much.

Mar 27, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 12
Klipsch Image ONE, Monster Solo HD, Bose on air, Samson SR850 and Ultrasone HFI780.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
 Monster Solo HD, Bose on air,

Are you serious? 
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Klipsch Image ONE, Monster Solo HD, Bose on air, Samson SR850 and Ultrasone HFI780.

Quote:
Are you serious? 
tongue.gif

And the Beats by Dr. Dre.....

But in all seriousness, take a look at the mentioned ultrasones. I'd especially recommend the HFI-780, as I think it edges the others considerably. Also much more bass slam than those BX5A's you've got going.

Mar 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
After a year of lurking around this site and overclock.net sound forum i finally saved up the money to buy my first hifi [i consider it hifi, leave me alone!] set up. I bought myself the Xonar STX soundcard, some m-audio BX5a's, and a pair of Sennheiser 595's. let me just say WOW, i never thought music could sound so crisp and live. but i was a bit disappointed with my HD 595's. while the BX5a left my jaw dropped at how crisp it all sounds, the headphones were great and all but i felt they were just missing that WOW factor, i expected high end headphones + headphone amp to leave me starstruck but that wasn't the case.. i returned my HD 595's and want to try my hand at another pair. if you guys could help it would be much appreciated
My budget is 160-200 dollars
I mainly listen to 60% EDM [Trance, progressive, DnB] and 40% hiphop. and Pink Floyd all throughout :p so i guess you can say i need bass
thank you guys in advance

I also have the BX5a and I can see why you would be disappointed with the HD 595; like you said the HD 595 is missing the crispness. A headphone I have heard that sounds similar and noticeably more detailed compared to the BX5a but without much bass would be the K701. You can also go with grados because they somewhat resemble the BX5a in brightness but have a more colored midrange.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:

Quote:
Ultrasone Pro 900

Just ignore these two posters. One has no idea what he's talking about, the other can't read. If you want bass, you may want to take a jump and pre-order these: http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=102&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

If there as good as the review here says, then they'll be hard to beat for the price.

The review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

Just ignore these two posters. One has no idea what he's talking about, the other can't read. If you want bass, you may want to take a jump and pre-order these: http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=102&flypage=flypage.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

If there as good as the review here says, then they'll be hard to beat for the price.

The review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/545368/review-fischer-audio-fa-011-off-the-deep-end

I'm sorry but why ignore the person who recommended the Pro900s.  They are one of the best headphones around if you like bass.  I love my pair.  It may be a bit over the OP's budget but we all know how budgets get ignored when viewing this forum...

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
thank you guys :) i think i'm going to buy the HFI-780's this weekend

It's generally regarded that the bass has better impact on the 580s not that the 780s don't have bass 'cos they do but they are very trebly focussed which is fine for some genres. If you do get the 780s they need a very long burn in so don't right them off until you go past 100 hours or more as at firth they will sound harsh and shrill.

Alternatively I'd suggest the Denon D2000 if you can get them for $200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back