Xonar Phoebus or the Essence STX?
Jul 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ShindoSama

New Head-Fier
After Having little to no help on other forums I decided it's best to just ask the pros here 
cool.gif
  so here's the straight link to what I wrote.

I love listening to high quality music and surround gaming. I'm not sure which way to go because I'm a headphone junkie but both seem pretty good for that. With software such as Razer surround wouldn't the Phoebus be obsolete as far as virtual surround goes? Does the technology that the phoebus use have superior virtual surround compared to everything on the market? Talking statistically the STX has 4 time the quality of the Phoebus. While looking for sound cards I also stumbled upon this: 

http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E168...

wouldn't this be better than both because it has superior sound quality along with virtual surround sound? I too heard that the Phoebus has poor drivers so it won't make full use of the quality. With all these aside having surround will make it worth it for me, as all of those sound cards are miles better than any onboard audio. Can I have anyone's thoughts on this?

TL;DR Asus Phoebus or STX and why? wouldn't this card be the best out of either two:http://www.newegg.co...Item=N82E168...

Thanks!

~Shindo

Just a note to ask head-fi (I hate how there's a colored background even after pasting the text): compared to onboard sound the phoebus does have much superior sound quality correct? Since it uses better technologies than virtual surround software, just from assumption, there must be a reason why both cards are priced the same but one has much better quality. Any help to just choose between the two? Much thanks! 
size]

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
there are entry level products. like xonar dg which is very good.

Yeah, but do any have virtual surround support? I use a turtle beach dss2 for a while and I can attest that it's not as gimmicky as one might think, it actually works! with that said; I'm not exactly sure how those two cards fare in competition with other sound cards. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 10
hmm, reading up on some posts the Phoebus has some exclusive integrated sound technologies that provide better surround than software such as razer surround. coming from onboard, would the Phoebus still give me a great music listening experience, along with immersive gaming? I'm not a music professional by any means but I really appreciate great sound. 

Jul 25, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #10 of 10
I would think the Essence STX's would be more stable.
Asus has had a lot more time to perfect the STX drivers, compared to the Phoebus.

An Xonar DX or D1 sound card paired with an external headphone amplifier like the Schiit Magni, might be an option for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back