Xonar Essense stx Random LOUD high pitched Ringing Noise?
Mar 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #31 of 400

Quote:
I am looping this to HQ. Can you please try the following:

[size=10pt]Disable "SPDIF Passthrough Device" in the control panel[/size]

[size=10pt]Disable GX[/size]

Let me know if that helps. If it does not, then will likely need full config details including all relevant driver and software info.

-Raja

I keep both disabled at all times. The problem persists.

Also, I've always had the onboard sound disabled and rolling back to older driver versions does not help.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #32 of 400

Quote:

I keep both disabled at all times. The problem persists.

Also, I've always had the onboard sound disabled and rolling back to older driver versions does not help.

Okay, can you fill this out and I will relay it to ASUS HQ:

Power supply:
Motherboard:
BIOS:
CPU:
Memory (exact model):
Do you overclock? no/yes
Graphics:
Graphics driver:
Soundcard: 
Sound driver:
Other cards + drivers:
Peripherals + drivers:
Playback software (when it happened):
Which audio port do you use? headphones/speakers
Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue? no/yes (explain how)

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #33 of 400
Thanks. Here goes:

Power supply: Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E
BIOS: preinstalled, I haven't updated it
CPU: Intel Core i3 550, 3.2GHz, 4MB, LGA 1156
Memory (exact model): Patriot DDR3 4GB 1333MHZ 2X2GB CL9 GAMING ELK INTEL
Do you overclock? no
Graphics: EVGA GT240
Graphics driver: 290.36
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar Essence ST
Sound driver: I've tried all available official driver releases from ASUS; currently running 7.12.8.1796 customs I made based on the ones from Auzentech
Other cards + drivers: none
Peripherals + drivers: keyboard / CM Storm Spawn mouse that uses default drivers
OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/SP1 and all important Windows Update updates applied
Playback software (when it happened): it doesn't happen during playback; it happens at random when the sound card is idle
Which audio port do you use? speakers, but I've tried running through headphones for a little while and it happened on that port as well
Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue? no, it's completely random

Mar 13, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #34 of 400
Rare screeching for me, and I don't use currently the computer.
In my case, this might be linked to RAM.

If this could help:

Power supply : corsair hx620w
Motherboard: GA-X48-DQ6
CPU: E8400
Memory: DDR2  F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK
Found recently stability problems linked to RAM.
Memtest was never able to detect anything.
Removed a stick of Ram of 2gb, everything seems better
(downgraded from 6gb to 4gb)
GPU: msi zilent 8800 gt
overclock: never because of stability problems
I got with ram

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #35 of 400

The DRAM instability may be due to using two separate kits. Likely need to adjust memory controller voltages and relax memory timings to cure that.
Quote:
Rare screeching for me, and I don't use currently the computer.
In my case, this might be linked to RAM.

If this could help:

Power supply : corsair hx620w
Motherboard: GA-X48-DQ6
CPU: E8400
Memory: DDR2  F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK & F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK
Found recently stability problems linked to RAM.
Memtest was never able to detect anything.
Removed a stick of Ram of 2gb, everything seems better
(downgraded from 6gb to 4gb)
GPU: msi zilent 8800 gt
overclock: never because of stability problems
I got with ram

Mar 14, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #36 of 400

Quote:
The DRAM instability may be due to using two separate kits. Likely need to adjust memory controller voltages and relax memory timings to cure that.

I tried many time, until I was tired. One day, the computer just refused to start, and I removed one  stick of RAM.
But when I think about it , perphaps I should have removed 2 sticks of 1gb, instead of one stick of 2gb.

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #37 of 400
Hi raja,

This just happened again today as I was browsing Windows Explorer and clicked on a folder. I'm adding my details.

Power supply: Seasonic SS-400ET
Motherboard: Intel DH67BL
BIOS: 5/23/11
CPU: Core i3-2100
Memory (exact model): 2 x Kingston DDR3-1600 KHX1600C9D3B1/4G
Do you overclock? no
Graphics: integrated
Graphics driver: 8.15.10.2219
Soundcard: Xonar Essence STX 
Sound driver: 7.12.8.1794
Peripherals + drivers: TP-Link USB Wireless Card WN722N + driver v2.0.0.32
Which audio port do you use? Speakers only
Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue? Completely random

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #38 of 400
Here's something interesting. The noise went away somehow without me having to reboot. Not sure how. I turned off the speakers and collected driver information. When I turned them on again, there was no noise and the card was working. I ran CPU-Z v1.60 among other programs.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #39 of 400

Quote:
Here's something interesting. The noise went away somehow without me having to reboot. Not sure how. I turned off the speakers and collected driver information. When I turned them on again, there was no noise and the card was working. I ran CPU-Z v1.60 among other programs.

You mean you got problem with speakers ? Usually it's with headphones only.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #42 of 400
Wow I joined this forum becuase i am sick and tired of asus support and watching asus reject crap 

I have asus everything and im literally getting rid of them when i can

their support is AWFUL and their response is we don't care, level 1 is nice but can't do anything or has any knowledge
level 2 thinks their the crap

Long story short, Im stuck

I have the xonar essence STX connected with the duo rcas to 3.5 logitech speakers, than i have a hd 650 tagged along. 

Please a dvise. 

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #43 of 400
Power supply: Coolermaster 500w green (now have a Coolermaster GX450w 80)
Motherboard: P5N-E SLI
BIOS: 1406
CPU: E7500
Memory (exact model): Geil DDR2 800 1gb x 4 CL4-4-4
Do you overclock? no/yes No
Graphics: 1 of Nvidia GTS 250
Graphics driver: 8.17.12.8562
Soundcard: STX
Sound driver: 7.12.8.1794
Other cards + drivers:
Peripherals + drivers:
Playback software (when it happened): doesn't happen during play back usually happens if i click on something at random
Which audio port do you use? headphones/speakers. Both
Are you able to consistently reproduce the issue? no/yes (explain how) No just happens at random. But has not happened so far with new PSU Coolermaster GX450 80, had this new psu a few weeks, but also prior to this i could go weeks/months without the random squeel noise happening after i click on something.

Mar 30, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #44 of 400
I have some new information about this issue.  I get the same "screech" on my Asus CM1630-06 upgraded with EAH6850DC/2DIS/1GD5 video and Essence STX audio (plus an Antec TP-750 Blue to ensure plenty of power to all components thereof).  However, having a LinUX box equipped with a Creative Laboratories SB0350 for audio preprocessing for live-video activities elsewhere, I was able to see where the problem presents itself in the STX.

Specifically, I have the S/P-DIF Passthrough Device active in order to send the CM1630's PCM to the LinUX box via the digital input of the latter's Creative Laboratories SB0250 I/O Drive.  When the CM1630 howls (Headphone, 2 Speakers, or Front Panel, whichever analog output is active), the LinUX box doesn't.  That means the problem is most likely isolated to the Xonar's analog output section, or at worst the DAC current drive of the AV100 audio chip; I just don't have the necessary tools to zero in on the exact source.

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #45 of 400
For you guys that are still having this issue, I recommend to sell the card.

I went though a few external DAC/AMPs after that and settled on an Audio-GD FUN.  For the same price as the Essence you can get an Audio-GD NFB-12.  These DAC/AMPs are to the Essence as a Lamborghini is to a Ford Focus.  I'll never go back

And to Asus, I'll never buy one of your cards again.  Even if this issue is permanently resolved, I would rather get punched in the stomach by Mike Tyson than even have a chance of hearing that god awful sound again.

Before purchasing that Xonar card I was able to hear frequencies up to 19k in both ears without a problem.  Now my left ear I am limited to 17k.  I am contemplating filing a lawsuit for hearing damage.

I don't remember if the noise came from both channels or one channel, what is it for you guys both left and right or just one? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back