Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 22, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #451 of 2,066
My essence STX makes a clicking noise when the computer is starting up. It's similar to the noise that some receivers make when they're switching inputs. Is this normal?

Also, is there a consensus that it's best to set windows and soundcard's utility to 24/96 playback for best sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #454 of 2,066
Don't worry, few people will link the high quality component on AV gears to PC sound cards.

The relay protects your speakers and your ears from unexpected pop sound caused by power surge when booting.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #456 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry, few people will link the high quality component on AV gears to PC sound cards.

The relay protects your speakers and your ears from unexpected pop sound caused by power surge when booting.

I don't know about that. there are many,many people I talk with that have their PC hooked into their home theater systems or connected to high end AV gear.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #457 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auidodude34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tired windows 7 beta with the card? I'm think of giving the beta a try after hearing nothing but good things about it.

Yes I'm using Windows 7 beta and it works perfectly fine. The only difference is that the Xonar control panel thinks it's XP so you can't change the number of channels (it's set to 2 by default and unless you use a surround system it doesn't make a difference).

Jan 22, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #458 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I'm using Windows 7 beta and it works perfectly fine. The only difference is that the Xonar control panel thinks it's XP so you can't change the number of channels (it's set to 2 by default and unless you use a surround system it doesn't make a difference).

Cool thanks i'm going to give a shot see what all the fuzz about windows 7 is about.

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #459 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They release drivers roughly once a year (this is counting their buggy beta releases) and do not really seem that interested in fixing anything.

How do you figure this? I see no less than 6 driver releases for the PCI version of the original Xonar since July 2007 and 4 versions of drivers for the PCI Express version of the original Xonar since Novemner 2007. Am I missing something or was I knocked on the head and I've just woken up in 2013?

Jan 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #460 of 2,066
The drivers pretty much fixed all my previous problems. If you want bug free device, I suggest you stay with onboard stuff, they're the best.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #461 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers pretty much fixed all my previous problems. If you want bug free device, I suggest you stay with onboard stuff, they're the best.

Where did you find the new ones? I looked today on support.asus.com and it still only gives me the old driver. Do you have a link to it?

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #464 of 2,066
I just received the Xonar STX card: I see that there are 3 socketed op amps: 1 LM4562 and 2 JRC 2114D. I've gone through this forum, the Asus forum and the manual and I can't find any reference as to what these chips are doing. If anyone actually knows what the "swappable" opamps are doing, I'd love to know. I've posted over on the Asus forum so maybe I'll get an answer over there.
The National chip is a good one, but the JRC's are nothing special; I'm a bit curious what they are doing on a $200 card.
By the way, I noticed some discussion about using the Burr Brown 627. That is a single op amp, while the 4562/ 2114's are duals: besides the functional difference, they use different pins for the positive supply so I wouldn't try THAT mod!
Also, if anyone has been able to sucessfully download the driver update, please let us know.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jan 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #465 of 2,066
The only swappable opam is the LM4562.

And yeah you can't use single opamps unless you wanna go down to mono from stereo
smily_headphones1.gif
(if you somehow managed to put it in the socket and not fry it, that is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back