Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #286 of 2,066
I am using Vista 64
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #288 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by twhtpclover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow.. that's pretty strong comment.
Wish you have a good dream there, and come back soon for more details...
tongue.gif

It is strong i guess, but it was meant for him mostly... Based on my experience and thoughts on the 1212M and nothing else.

The Essence is like "Sonic Spice", It has allot more sonic energy then the 1212M, that in comparison is sterile and cold, it has a very lush-full sound; articulate and dynamic with quite good stereo imaging and depth; Amazingly nice and refine sonic performance for the money. This is based on what Ive heard so far from the Amp section alone but with its tweakable analog output section... things can only get better.

On a side note; The 1212M is better suited for recording and not the other way around. The M in 1212(M) stands for Mastering Grade and refers to the ADC and input section and NOT the DAC and output section. I'm sure you already knew that, I'm saying for others.

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #289 of 2,066
In regards to changing out the op-amp. The default STX card comes with the LM4562 which according to Benchmark in their high quality DAC's / AMPS (since even their top of the line DAC1 PRE uses it) is:

State-of-the-art LM4562 high-current op-amps

DAC1 Comparison Chart | Drupal

So if you're going to change it out with another opamp, make sure the specs are higher then the 4562's
smily_headphones1.gif
As apparently, its quite the beauty

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #290 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In regards to changing out the op-amp. The default STX card comes with the LM4562 which according to Benchmark in their high quality DAC's / AMPS (since even their top of the line DAC1 PRE uses it) is:

DAC1 Comparison Chart | Drupal

So if you're going to change it out with another opamp, make sure the specs are higher then the 4562's
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually i don't plan on changing that one at first.
wink.gif
...Can you read my mind?
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #291 of 2,066
Well that message was for ROBSCIX and Alydon (whose already changed it out to the LT1361)

I'm not that well versed in op-amp so I don't know which of the two actually has better technical properties but the fact the 4562 is 'high current' is very appealing to me as that is whats needed to drive the true hi-fi headphones.

I wonder if the 1361 has the same current output.

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #293 of 2,066
As far as I know the LM4562 is the only, if not one of the few opamps made specifically for audio applications. I think an LT1364 or OPA627 would also work well. Unfortunately this card is now sold out everywhere including NCIX =[

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #294 of 2,066
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The LM4562 is a decent OPAMP (it's too sterile for my taste), though there are, IMO, better ones for music; OPA627/637, OPA134/2134/4134, OPA604, AD8610/8620, LM6171... there are also quite a few discrete OPA as well: OPA-Moon/Earth/Sun and a couple others.

Jan 8, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #295 of 2,066
Now what is this 'discrete opamp' . Can it be used in the same place as a 'non discrete' op amp?

In your opinion, which would be the best op-amp for metal/rock music Jenneth?

And out of the ones you listed, which would you say is the best one ?

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #296 of 2,066
Discrete OPA--
-Burson OPAMP
-OPA-Earth/Moon/Sun

Quote:

In your opinion, which would be the best op-amp for metal/rock music Jenneth?

-That's a difficult question for me to answer, since I don't have an Essence, nor do I listen to Metal. I think maybe ROB could help you with that, since he has rolled quite a few different OPAs with his Essence.

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #298 of 2,066
Quote:

Well discretes aren't going to fit as they're freaking MONSTROUS! hehe

Thanks for the links.

lol i'm going to have to go buy a new case just to fit one of those.

Jan 8, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #299 of 2,066
Quote:

Well discretes aren't going to fit as they're freaking MONSTROUS! hehe

Thanks for the links.

I think these comes with an extension cable, so you should be okay.

Jan 9, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #300 of 2,066
@Brando and @Alydon
my intention was not to advocate for any of the two power supply types. i wanted only to point out that noise and vibration generated by fan and output voltage stability should not be the only things taken into consideration when assessing power supply.

Alydon;5244129 said:
I'm curious to see how much of a difference using an outboard linear PWS would be.

yeah, i am curious as well

Alydon;5244129 said:
I don't know much about linear power supplies, but I think one would produce a more "natural" output waveform at least in theory, correct?

what do you mean by "natural" output waveform in case of a direct current?

Alydon;5244129 said:
However, switching PWS's of sufficiently high quality have good enough shielding and cap filtering to drop EMI/RFI down to <10-20mV at the molex, which is pretty impressive. And isn't hum an issue with linear PWS's?

Agree, its not that bad in comparision to ATX specification (120mV for 12V and 50mV for 5V) however its still far from perfect. According to silentpcreview.com (Seasonic S12II-380 Power Supply | silentpcreview.com) Seasonic S12II-380's ripple for 12v rail @ 90W = 16mV and increases to 26 mV at full load, for 5V its 13 and increases to 15).

Taking into consideration power requirement of the card (20W) [thanks ROBSCIX] I believe that powering the card from independent, dedicated, well designed SMPS should allow about 2mV ripple, which seems to be significant improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back