Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #272 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering, If this card is really worth the upgrade. Currently my PC gear is as follows: Emu-1212m | Gilemore LITE | HD650

I am getting the impression here that Those who own the New Asus Xonar STX are implying that's it headphone amp is in the same legue as $400 Dedicated amps. AM I to asume this is the case?

You are correct. I think I'm the only person who's posted a comparision of the STX's amp section to an external amp so far. Though I'm not implying anything about it's sound quality.
tongue.gif
It is superior to my Corda Blue, which for those who aren't aware is a Corda HA-1 MKI modded by KurtW. I paid $430 for the Blue about 4 years ago. You can read more about it here:

Corda HA-1 / Corda Blue Review

And how it compares to other amps here:

Corda Blue vs Prehead vs Gilmore review

Zimmzio said a few words a couple pages ago comparing the 1212 to the STX. Apparently the STX is warmer/less neutral but less smeared, more resolving and fuller than the 1212.

So with the STX it sounds like you'd get a better DAC and roughly equal amp to what you have now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replace the DAC with the upcoming Pico DAC only version and get RCA couplers to connect it to the Gilmore Lite (no need for cables). You'll need to wait for it but that's the best you can do. I doubt the STX's amp beats the GLite.

I've not heard the GLite, but based on what I've read about how it compares to the Corda Opera (which I own and is reputed to be better than the Glite), I'd say the the STX's amp section is on par with the GLite anyway. It may come down to more of a preference thing between the GLite and STX-amp.

The Opera ($750) is superior to the STX-amp, but just barely. I sometimes have a hard time telling them apart, and those differences almost completely disappear if I switch from using my Blue Jeans Cable IC's to Outlaw Audio PCA IC's. Make no mistake, the STX has a very nice amp section.
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #273 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine on Saturday as well, received it today. There were 7 in stock that night so you -should- get one.

WOW I order on saturday also there was 10 in stock... i'm going to call them see what's going on/

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #274 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering, If this card is really worth the upgrade. Currently my PC gear is as follows: Emu-1212m | Gilemore LITE | HD650

I am getting the impression here that Those who own the New Asus Xonar STX are implying that's it headphone amp is in the same legue as $400 Dedicated amps. AM I to asume this is the case?

Your wondering?

Ok listen, its late and I'm tired, so Im not gonna put to much effort here, you'll just have to trust me when i say that "This thing will breathe new life into your music" Its that simple! And believe me i could say allot more but i wont cause it makes my head spin thinking about it and I'm tired.

*UPDATE*

Look at it this way...The STX is like a little audio workbench...It offers a nice, clean and powerful SS amplifier that can drive any headphone with ease with the added benefits of a customizable analog section that you can experiment with by changing OpAmp's and fine tune its output and sonic flavor to suite your needs and preferences.

Jan 8, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #275 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Auidodude34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW I order on saturday also there was 10 in stock... i'm going to call them see what's going on/

I ordered this on NCIXUS just late Monday night and it was shipped out today. (tracking number was just given to me) Did they not give you a tracking number? When you call them, just tell them you went to Blaine High School and they'll hook you up
biggrin.gif
(it's extremely bizarre that this company resides in my old home town in a small little corner of Washington)

Jan 8, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #276 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..and?
You have no comments on the sound quality?

My jaw dropped when I cranked up Stranglehold. It feels exactly like when I went from $20 phones to my a900's. Hopefully I'll have more to say tomorrow.

Had a hell of a time installing it, basically had to gut my rig. Drivers installed smoothly fortunately.

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #278 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wish someone will sell one for me
frown.gif

Even the guy on EBAY cancel my order
frown.gif

( I am living out side of USA)

Watch out, I bet it's a con... I mean, seems most of ppl are enjoying their decisions now (me included), guess you'll have to wait a bit longer....
Sorry about it, pal..
beerchug.gif
beyersmile.png

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #279 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimmzio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok listen, its late and I'm tired, so Im not gonna put to much effort here, you'll just have to trust me when i say that "This thing will breathe new life into your music" Its that simple! And believe me i could say allot more but i wont cause it makes my head spin thinking about it and I'm tired..

Wow.. that's pretty strong comment.
Wish you have a good dream there, and come back soon for more details...
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #280 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbieyao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch out, I bet it's a con... I mean, seems most of ppl are enjoying their decisions now (me included), guess you'll have to wait a bit longer....
Sorry about it, pal..
beerchug.gif
beyersmile.png

So, how and where can I buy it ??
confused.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #281 of 2,066
You may not be able to at this point in time. It seems there is a very small quantity at the various dealers and many are already sold on pre-order.
I would say if you want one and you see one that is in stock buy it. Don't wait as sombody else will scoop it up.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #283 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered this on NCIXUS just late Monday night and it was shipped out today. (tracking number was just given to me) Did they not give you a tracking number? When you call them, just tell them you went to Blaine High School and they'll hook you up
biggrin.gif
(it's extremely bizarre that this company resides in my old home town in a small little corner of Washington)

yeah got my tracking number today should be here Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back