Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #241 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I have tried that. It works fine without it in, saying that there is no sound card inserted. Have also tried putting it in a different slot. I've tried everything I can think of. I have even reinstalled windows several times, changing the order in which I installed the chipset drivers and sound drivers. Just don't know what else it can be except for a motherboard incompatibility.

On another note, this being my first non onboard sound, I have a sort of newb question. I know this is kind of subjective and depends on your headphones (I have hd555) but do you find that you need to change the equalizer at all, or do you feel that it sounds best left alone?

I had the same BSOD's happen to me when I first started using the card. If you google it you'll see it's an issue that been plaguing all CMI-based cards for a while now.

I fixed it on the STX by either enabling or disabling either the GX or Game Mode buttons in the STX control panel. I'm at work atm so I'm not 100% sure which button it was, or if it needed to be on or off to get dxdiag to work.
confused_face(1).gif

As for the EQ, I leave it off. The tonal balance is pretty much spot on for me. I find that if I use the STX eq there is an overall slight drop in volume and it seems to muddy the sound a little bit. If I need to change the tonal quality the music I'm listening to I'll use the parametric eq and tube amp emulation features of the OzoneMP plugin that I have installed in Media Monkey/Windows Media Player. I get MUCH more satisfying results that way.
smily_headphones1.gif

@zimmzio, I use the DT990's (250ohm, 2005 version) and I find them to be an excellent match for the STX. The STX's lush midrange is a beautiful compliment to the sparkly highs and detailed, authoritative bass of the 990's. The two are a perfect match, IMO.
beyersmile.png
In fact the STX+DT990 is the first combo where I don't feel I'm missing something in the music if I'm not using my OzoneMP plugin. I often forget that I have it turned off. And that is saying something.

EDIT: Oh, and thx for you thoughts on the 1212m. It's about what I expected based on what I've read here.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully as mor epeople buy it somebody here will be able to direct-compare the STX to an 0404 or 1820...

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #242 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those asking about the current draw for the Essence for a linear supply. It is about 20 Watts, usually less.

As far as you can tell, does the card seem to enter low power state when playback is stopped or headphones are unplugged? I'm just curious about that.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #243 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same BSOD's happen to me when I first started using the card. If you google it you'll see it's an issue that been plaguing all CMI-based cards for a while now.

I fixed it on the STX by either enabling or disabling either the GX or Game Mode buttons in the STX control panel. I'm at work atm so I'm not 100% sure which button it was, or if it needed to be on or off to get dxdiag to work.
confused_face(1).gif

Yeah if I turn on GX mode I can successfully run the dxdiag...the problem is that with it on several programs will not output any sound, Winamp being one of the main ones. Now this isn't that big of a deal if all I want to do is run dxdiag, but world of warcraft works the exact same way as dxdiag...same blue screen with dx off, but loads fine with it on. The problem here is that it is also one of those programs that won't output any sound with it on. I also have a feeling that several other games/programs will work this exact same way.

If you know of any way to get around this let me know, I've tried literally everything I can think of. I hope it's not one of those things I just have to live with since the problem been around for so long without a fix, otherwise I'd rather just return the card for something that works.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #244 of 2,066
I have to ask the bleeding obvious. Did you make sure the existing onboard sound was disabled in the BIOS? I know that Windows can theoretically run multiple sound devices, but as a matter of course I would disable any devices in the BIOS that I did not need.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #246 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah if I turn on GX mode I can successfully run the dxdiag...the problem is that with it on several programs will not output any sound, Winamp being one of the main ones. Now this isn't that big of a deal if all I want to do is run dxdiag, but world of warcraft works the exact same way as dxdiag...same blue screen with dx off, but loads fine with it on. The problem here is that it is also one of those programs that won't output any sound with it on. I also have a feeling that several other games/programs will work this exact same way.

If you know of any way to get around this let me know, I've tried literally everything I can think of. I hope it's not one of those things I just have to live with since the problem been around for so long without a fix, otherwise I'd rather just return the card for something that works.

sounds like a motherboard compatability issue. As i already said theres tons of people that have already found GX to be a nightmare, however i have yet to read of anyone else having a problem when its off.

Unfortunetly this is the price you pay for early adoption. Personally, i'd wait for a driver revision and hope it fixes the issues. If not, then its up to you what you want to do. GX is busted on all their cards regardless, and for games its not like you need audiophile quality equipment anyway. I mean really, are you going to notice the difference in sound quality between an Essence and an X-Fi while distracted playing a game? Probably not.

The only way the Essance would be worth keeping in your situation is if you're relying on it for its Amp when you're just listening to music. In this case it may be worth the hassel of simply buying another cheapo sound card [or using onboard, which would be a good test for you right now anyway] that works for your simutanous gaming and music and juggling between the 2 as the need arises since getting a new decent dedicated amp will cost as least as much as the Essence.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #247 of 2,066
True, I just wanted it to be able to do wow + music like my old onboard did and I'm sure eventually it will. I'm also pretty sure its because this is a Nvidia 680i board. If you don't know, they have had constant problems since it's release and personally it has given me blue screens on other things as well so it's probably just ****ing things up as usual.

I got it mostly for music as I'm not really a hardcore gamer on my PC at all. WoW is about all I'll play consistently and if something good comes out I'll play through it once and never touch it again. EAX and positional audio and all that bs doesn't matter to me. I'm sure I can rig onboard to work for the games and the essence for everything else if I need to. I probably won't return it after all, it is pretty incredible to be able to tell on a song that's sung by a trio when each of them takes a breath, and to notice that on some parts they don't take that breath in sync; you can actually pick out when each begins to breathe in. That's pretty crazy.

Does the amp do anything for low impedance phones like I have? Seems like when I set it to the 2nd highest setting it just makes the volume a lot louder. Sorry I'm an audio newb.

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #248 of 2,066
Posting this for everyone that may come to this thread from google on this problem.

Response from Asus on this

Quote:

Hi,

We're aware of the issue and are working on it already.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks.

So hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #249 of 2,066
I have onboard sound, and want to upgrade.

I was looking at Xonar DX which is about $90. However, I read a lot of good things about the STX and am wondering if the $100 difference is worth it? I'd be using a pair of HD595 with the card (I'd just be using a direct 3.5mm connection to the headphones from the audio card...no amp).

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #250 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have onboard sound, and want to upgrade.

I was looking at Xonar DX which is about $90. However, I read a lot of good things about the STX and am wondering if the $100 difference is worth it? I'd be using a pair of HD595 with the card (I'd just be using a direct 3.5mm connection to the headphones from the audio card)

Thanks.

The fact that you're plugging straight into the card is exactly what makes it worth $100 more. Shop around for headphone amps and you'll see why having one built in to the card is such a value in comparison. Amping is a great thing imo and the fact that you're getting a great source along with a great amp makes it very worth it in my opinion.

Jan 7, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #251 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fact that you're plugging straight into the card is exactly what makes it worth $100 more. Shop around for headphone amps and you'll see why having one built in to the card is such a value in comparison. Amping is a great thing imo and the fact that you're getting a great source along with a great amp makes it very worth it in my opinion.

Great...this may be my solution now...

Anyone know of a supplier that will ship it internationally?

Found one...but they charge $50 for shipping a small package o.O

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #252 of 2,066
OK so im new to the site.. Hello everyone I have a few questions about the 2 sound cards looking at.. I'm interested in the ASUS Xonar Essence because of the headphone amp... Ive been using on board sound on my pc and I want to know if my hd555's will need to be amped for bass, because I want to get a card with EAX 5.0 like the X-FI Prelude by Auzentech (for Bioshock mainly).. I really want a way to adjust the bass on my headphones cause the only thing decent sounding for bass was when I plugged them into is a surround sound receiver and I was able to adjust the bass on there and it was no comparison to my on board sound.. Anyway thanks much let me know whats best Gurus up here... Ah I also use a Logitech Z5300 for my 5.1 stuff

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #253 of 2,066
I am wondering, If this card is really worth the upgrade. Currently my PC gear is as follows: Emu-1212m | Gilemore LITE | HD650

I am getting the impression here that Those who own the New Asus Xonar STX are implying that's it headphone amp is in the same legue as $400 Dedicated amps. AM I to asume this is the case?

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #254 of 2,066
Well Paradigm as far as I can tell only one user has compared it to that, mostly because the other ones don't have a $400 dollar amp I guess. I have a $300 DAC+AMP (Corda 3MOVE) and the STX is better.

zslipknot, I wouldn't worry much about EAX 5.0. As you know, EAX is going the way of the dodo with vista and also the new windows 7. So while you might be on XP and can use EAX on the prelude, pretty soon, you won't be able to. And the essence has EAX emulation which I think will fit your needs.

Also, I had a prelude and replaced it with the STX. If that tells you anything.

Jan 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #255 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradigm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am wondering, If this card is really worth the upgrade. Currently my PC gear is as follows: Emu-1212m | Gilemore LITE | HD650

I am getting the impression here that Those who own the New Asus Xonar STX are implying that's it headphone amp is in the same legue as $400 Dedicated amps. AM I to asume this is the case?

Replace the DAC with the upcoming Pico DAC only version and get RCA couplers to connect it to the Gilmore Lite (no need for cables). You'll need to wait for it but that's the best you can do. I doubt the STX's amp beats the GLite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back