Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #215 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by yehuda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I would think so too. Anyone able to measure total system power consumption with and without the card?

yes, that would be very useful to have exact numbers for currrent requirements for 12 and 5 - i am also wondering if the card really needs both voltages. maybe it needs only 12V?

if the molex is plugged in and the card draws power from it, does it also draw power from PCIe?

is external power obligatory or optional? can the card also work on power delivered only by PCIe?

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #216 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, that would be very useful to have exact numbers for currrent requirements for 12 and 5...

Useful for what purpose?

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #217 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, that would be very useful to have exact numbers for currrent requirements for 12 and 5 - i am also wondering if the card really needs both voltages. maybe it needs only 12V?

if the molex is plugged in and the card draws power from it, does it also draw power from PCIe?

is external power obligatory or optional? can the card also work on power delivered only by PCIe?

it does draw power from both, it is required.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #218 of 2,066
Since we are on the subject of power: The Logic power for the card is drawn from the PCI-E slot. However, the power for the analog amplification sections are drawn from the cleaner molex supply.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #219 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by finaxe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Useful for what purpose?

i am thinking about independent, external power supply with some linear characteristic, thats why power specification of the card discussed is of interest to me

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #220 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we are on the subject of power: The Logic power for the card is drawn from the PCI-E slot. However, the power for the analog amplification sections are drawn from the cleaner molex supply.

maybe you could use your clout and connections to find out specific numbers for current draw for both the 12v and 5v lines-- i think there are lots of us who want to buy the card specifically to able to run it via an outboard, high quality linear power supply.

thanks!!!

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #221 of 2,066
I will see what I can find out
smily_headphones1.gif
As I said though this card has split supplies. I guess you would be talking about using the linear external supply to replace the molex supply?

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #222 of 2,066
Just get a Seasonic power supply. last time i measured one the 12v was 12.00v right on the money with no fluctuation shown on the multimeter. Plus they're really quiet!

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #223 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will see what I can find out
smily_headphones1.gif
As I said though this card has split supplies. I guess you would be talking about using the linear external supply to replace the molex supply?

yes, exactly. thats what i am thinking about.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #224 of 2,066
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a Seasonic power supply. last time i measured one the 12v was 12.00v right on the money with no fluctuation shown on the multimeter. Plus they're really quiet!

with full respect, quiet in what sense? this is a switch mode power supply so it generates among other things electronic noise, EMI and RFI produced due to the current being switched on and off sharply.

Jan 5, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #225 of 2,066
I thought I read somewhere that good power supplies are like a power conditioner. And by quiet I mean less fan noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back