Xonar Essence STX: Sneak Peek!
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #226 of 2,066

zimmzio

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Posts
85
Likes
0
Well i have to say this is turning out to be the best sound card i ever owned...Headphone amp section really starts to shine after a few hours of burn-in. A big thumbs-up to the Asus team who realized this little gem. Bravo!
 
Jan 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #227 of 2,066

limesinferior

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Posts
17
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by fzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe you could use your clout and connections to find out specific numbers for current draw for both the 12v and 5v lines-- i think there are lots of us who want to buy the card specifically to able to run it via an outboard, high quality linear power supply.

thanks!!!



do you have any particular power supply model / manufacturer in mind?

i am also wondering how to syncro computer psu with external psu dedicated only to the card. i am not sure if powering the card earier or later than the computer woudnt make any damage.
 
Jan 5, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #228 of 2,066

fzman

Member of the Trade: Music Direct
Joined
May 26, 2008
Posts
2,214
Likes
1,800
Location
Illinois USA
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you have any particular power supply model / manufacturer in mind?

i am also wondering how to syncro computer psu with external psu dedicated only to the card. i am not sure if powering the card earier or later than the computer woudnt make any damage.



i would build one -- i don;t think powering the card all the time would matter, but you could just have a switch and turn it on at the same time as the main psu.
 
Jan 5, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #229 of 2,066

Auidodude34

New Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 20, 2008
Posts
31
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by zimmzio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i have to say this is turning out to be the best sound card i ever owned...Headphone amp section really starts to shine after a few hours of burn-in. A big thumbs-up to the Asus team who realized this little gem. Bravo!


grr Can't wait till NCIX sends mine out.. onboard sound card just sucks!
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #230 of 2,066

Alydon

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Nov 24, 2001
Posts
190
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by limesinferior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with full respect, quiet in what sense? this is a switch mode power supply so it generates among other things electronic noise, EMI and RFI produced due to the current being switched on and off sharply.


I'm curious to see how much of a difference using an outboard linear PWS would be. I don't know much about linear power supplies, but I think one would produce a more "natural" output waveform at least in theory, correct?

However, switching PWS's of sufficiently high quality have good enough shielding and cap filtering to drop EMI/RFI down to <10-20mV at the molex, which is pretty impressive. And isn't hum an issue with linear PWS's?


@zimmzio, I see you used to own an EMU 1212m. I know you sold it a while ago, but can you share any thoughts on how the STX sounds compared to your memory of the 1212?
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #231 of 2,066

ADD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Posts
922
Likes
26
@ROBSCIX,

Hi,

I just have some more (very specific) questions about the Essense please, since I am going to need to replace my old Xonar pretty soon.

1. Does the equaliser in the ASUS driver appear to work in the same manner as that of the older Xonar? My guess is it most likely works exactly the same by the looks of things (same frequencies, same bands).

2. Does the SPDIF output transmit a true 24 bit, 192 Khz stereo PCM signal this time around? ASUS continually used to tell us that the older Xonar cards were capable of putting out a true 24 bit 192 Khz PCM stereo signal via the SPDIF output. Well, I have attached numerous recording devices (in sync) to my Xonar SPDIF output and blow me down if I have ever seen anything better than 16 bit, 96 Khz come out of it.

3. Does processed Dolby headphone output come out of the SPDIF output (PCM stereo?). The older Xonar could manage this, so you got Dolby headphone out of both the analogoue output and the SPDIF.

Thank you
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #232 of 2,066

audionewbieyao

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Posts
162
Likes
11
ok, I got my baby Xonar Essence today.
First impression, just like everone else --This thing is phenomenal. I've never enjoyed my headphone as good as today before.
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #234 of 2,066

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Posts
6,173
Likes
42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ROBSCIX,

Hi,

I just have some more (very specific) questions about the Essense please, since I am going to need to replace my old Xonar pretty soon.

1. Does the equaliser in the ASUS driver appear to work in the same manner as that of the older Xonar? My guess is it most likely works exactly the same by the looks of things (same frequencies, same bands).



The EQ is the same across all Xonar cards, including this one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. Does the SPDIF output transmit a true 24 bit, 192 Khz stereo PCM signal this time around? ASUS continually used to tell us that the older Xonar cards were capable of putting out a true 24 bit 192 Khz PCM stereo signal via the SPDIF output. Well, I have attached numerous recording devices (in sync) to my Xonar SPDIF output and blow me down if I have ever seen anything better than 16 bit, 96 Khz come out of it.


Afaik, it is a true 24/192 signal. Although I have never tested with any external gear. The chipset is capable of 24/192 and the DAC is also capable of 24/192 so I would say if you were having trouble perhaps it is a configuration error.
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3. Does processed Dolby headphone output come out of the SPDIF output (PCM stereo?). The older Xonar could manage this, so you got Dolby headphone out of both the analogoue output and the SPDIF.

Thank you



I have never tested both S/Pdif output and headphones at the same time. Based on the options I can set, I would say yes you can as you can leave DH on while using S/Pdif output so I would htink you can use the two together. Keep in mind, I have never tested this configuration out.
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #236 of 2,066

zimmzio

Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Posts
85
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alydon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@zimmzio, I see you used to own an EMU 1212m. I know you sold it a while ago, but can you share any thoughts on how the STX sounds compared to your memory of the 1212?


Well i didn't listen to the STX's analog out section yet, I'm waiting for my amp to come back from servicing... the same amp i used with the 1212M w/HD595. But one thing is sure though, the STX is more dynamic and warm in character, the 1212M in comparison offers a very neutral presentation.

I must add that i found the 1212M to be lacking in definition and depth, the card is just not that articulate, instrument separation and contour is well... not good enough for me, it offers good tonal balance though, very natural sounding. I'll put it this way "Reference without the details" kind of deal.

*EDIT*
This is not a comparative opinion btw, its based on my personal preferences and standards. The 1212M was just not good enough in resolving details for me, and i couldn't live with that anymore... kind of smeared them actually.

*EDIT*
One last thing here that i feel i must say is that I'm not saying the STX is "Reference Material" either... A little to warm for that I'm afraid(not in a bad way though, its very musical, well just like Robscix said i think... Very "Full Sound"). I'll have a better idea after Ive listen to it through my amp.

*EDIT*
Also I'm thinking of buying new headphones. AKG K701, K240MKII or BeyerDynamic DT990, dunno which yet, any suggestions? I have to experiment a little.
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #237 of 2,066

mcegan

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Posts
25
Likes
0
Anyone else who has one have the same problem as me with the blue screen? To test go to Start -> Run -> dxdiag and see if it blue screens anywhere. Trying to figure out if it's the card or my setup or what.
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #238 of 2,066

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Posts
6,173
Likes
42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else who has one have the same problem as me with the blue screen? To test go to Start -> Run -> dxdiag and see if it blue screens anywhere. Trying to figure out if it's the card or my setup or what.


Dxdiag works fine on my system. Pull the card and run dxdiag and see it is still happens. Try updating your Direct X.
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #239 of 2,066

mcegan

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Posts
25
Likes
0
Yeah I have tried that. It works fine without it in, saying that there is no sound card inserted. Have also tried putting it in a different slot. I've tried everything I can think of. I have even reinstalled windows several times, changing the order in which I installed the chipset drivers and sound drivers. Just don't know what else it can be except for a motherboard incompatibility.

On another note, this being my first non onboard sound, I have a sort of newb question. I know this is kind of subjective and depends on your headphones (I have hd555) but do you find that you need to change the equalizer at all, or do you feel that it sounds best left alone?
 
Jan 6, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #240 of 2,066

ROBSCIX

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 25, 2005
Posts
6,173
Likes
42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcegan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I have tried that. It works fine without it in, saying that there is no sound card inserted. Have also tried putting it in a different slot. I've tried everything I can think of. I have even reinstalled windows several times, changing the order in which I installed the chipset drivers and sound drivers. Just don't know what else it can be except for a motherboard incompatibility.

On another note, this being my first non onboard sound, I have a sort of newb question. I know this is kind of subjective and depends on your headphones (I have hd555) but do you find that you need to change the equalizer at all, or do you feel that it sounds best left alone?



You have updated your DX? Some like to use the EQ and some do not. All personal taste. Many use EQ to balance out there response on speakers or headphones. I wouldn't relay too much on the presets, although you can use them as guidelines. Adjust the EQ to get the best sound for you and your gear. That may be no adjustment or alot....
wink.gif
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top