Xonar DGX /w DT770 Pro 250Ohm?
Jan 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aeosoth

New Head-Fier
Hi headfi!
Thinking about getting a pair of DT770's for music/gaming (currently have the AD700's, and while they're great for positional audio, I found the lack off bass impact made both music and games sound boring) and have, after some research, decided that the 250 Ohm version will probably fit my needs better than the 80. I listen to metal/metalcore mainly, but also do much gaming. (probably around 3 hours on weekdays and way too much during weekends)
Since I have no amp/DAC as of now (and not planning on spending a fortune on getting good ones either) I figured the Xonar DGX would be a decent addition, since it has a built-in headphone amp and 5.1 dolby sound, should I wish to try it. I was just wondering if the amp in the soundcard is enough for the 250 Ohm DT770's, and if it isn't then are there any alternatives that aren't too expensive that'd do the job better?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hi headfi!
Thinking about getting a pair of DT770's for music/gaming (currently have the AD700's, and while they're great for positional audio, I found the lack off bass impact made both music and games sound boring) and have, after some research, decided that the 250 Ohm version will probably fit my needs better than the 80. I listen to metal/metalcore mainly, but also do much gaming. (probably around 3 hours on weekdays and way too much during weekends)
Since I have no amp/DAC as of now (and not planning on spending a fortune on getting good ones either) I figured the Xonar DGX would be a decent addition, since it has a built-in headphone amp and 5.1 dolby sound, should I wish to try it. I was just wondering if the amp in the soundcard is enough for the 250 Ohm DT770's, and if it isn't then are there any alternatives that aren't too expensive that'd do the job better?

The Xonar DGX will drive 250-Ohm headphones, but your going to be having the Xonar DGX's volume setting at around 80%.
So the Xonar DGX should get you by, for now.
Maybe in the future you might invest into an external headphone amplifier.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 5
The Xonar DGX will drive 250-Ohm headphones, but your going to be having the Xonar DGX's volume setting at around 80%.
So the Xonar DGX should get you by, for now.
Maybe in the future you might invest into an external headphone amplifier.

Ah, this is good news. I'm guessing there's no downside to having thf soundcard's volume at that percentage? Aye, maybe I will. :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Ah, this is good news. I'm guessing there's no downside to having thf soundcard's volume at that percentage? Aye, maybe I will.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Xonar DG/DGX series is a really great value, for the price.
Remember to disable your motherboard's on-board audio (in the bios) when you install an add-on sound card.

Apr 9, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Hi, I'm glad I found this thread. I just purchased the DT-770 250 ohm set today, and I also have the ASUS Xonar DGX sound card installed in my computer. I LOVE the way they sound, certainly a step above my ATH-M50x, but I'm not certain I'm getting the best possible experience. According to ASUS, the card's amplifier goes up to 150 ohms, but that concerns me, as my DT-770s are 250 ohm cans.

My research hasn't availed me, so I have a couple of questions:

Do I need a sound card that can amplify higher impedance headphones? One such card is the Sound Blaster Z, which goes up to 600. Or will my Xonar DGX (amp up to 150) be enough? Is it worth the upgrade?

I like my music fairly loud, but not so loud that it's painful. Nothing that would damage my hearing in the long run.
Does the impedance matter that much at relatively low levels of volume? Like, 80%? Or is that impedance really only an issue when you're BLASTING them? I don't like "movie theater" or "rave club" levels of loudness, if that helps. I like 80s music and sound clarity. I also play games on my PC.

Does a powerful amp affect more than the volume?
My Xonar DGX is giving these headphones quite a decent volume, I have no trouble hearing anything. But does the actual sound quality get affected as well?

Lastly... can an external headphone amp be used WITH a sound card like the Xonar DGX? Like, plugging the amp into my sound card's audio jack? Or is it better to use only one or the other?
If it's simply a matter of buying a $30 amp to just give them a little more juice to work with, I'd rather do that than spend $150 on a new sound card. I'd also get to keep the improved gaming audio drivers.

And if an amp/DAC is needed, can a good budget brand be recommended? (single listener)

(I have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio as suggested in this forum.)

Please respond soon, thank you! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back