Xonar DG static problem
Feb 12, 2012 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrcrazyshoes

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I have a Xonar DG and whenever I have it set to the headphone setting in the xonar audio center, it makes a very faint static noise that is just loud enough to be extremely annoying. When I switch it to the 2 speaker setting, the noise disappears. Is there a difference is sound quality between the headphone and 2 speaker settings? Also, when I run it through my Sony receiver, the noise disappears also, even when on the headphone mode. But I'm worried the receiver is also degrading the sound quality because for some reason it boosts the bass incredibly. I went through all of the settings and no eq's were set on anything except 0. What is the best solution for my problem? Should I leave it on headphone mode with the receiver, or should I put it on 2 speaker mode? Thanks a lot for your help.

Feb 13, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 5
If you do not notice any audible problem with the "2 speakers" mode, then just use that. The boosted bass with the receiver can have a number of reasons, for example if you have a Sennheiser HD5xx series headphone, and the receiver has high output impedance, then that would explain it.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 5
ya I have the HD558's, do you think that the receiver does anything to the sound quality? The Xonar DG already has a headphone amp built-in so does having the receiver help the quality at all?

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
ya I have the HD558's, do you think that the receiver does anything to the sound quality? The Xonar DG already has a headphone amp built-in so does having the receiver help the quality at all?

Sennheiser HD-558's are not demanding headphones, so I'm guessing not much difference in sound quality between the DG and receivers.

Most receivers only output stereo 2.0 sound (no surround sound) to the headphones, even if the source is 5.1 or 7.1 audio channel.
The Asus Xonar DG's headphone output can do (virtual 5.1 channel) surround sound (Dolby Virtual headphone).

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Sennheiser HD-558's are not demanding headphones, so I'm guessing not much difference in sound quality between the DG and receivers.

This is not actually true, the Sennheiser HD5xx headphones have a large impedance peak in the bass range, and this makes them sensitive to the output impedance of the source. Receivers often have high output impedance, because the headphone output is simply fed through a large resistor from the speaker output or some internal stage, to save the cost of implementing a dedicated headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back