XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Aug 3, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #3,136 of 3,865

The type of batteries to use are LiFePO. LiFePO keep their potential right up to the end.

Here is someone who has done a lot of DIY using LiFePO batteries to build PSU and they seem to be even better than the (basic model of) Paul Hynes LPS.
http://tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=76790#p76790

Cheers

That's a nice design - for me batteries are a no go, other then portable.

You should try the Nanophosphate® ANR26650M1-B from A123 systems ( http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm )
They are well known for their exceptional performance in audio gear.

26650.jpg

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #3,137 of 3,865

You should try the Nanophosphate® ANR26650M1-B from A123 systems ( http://www.a123systems.com/lithium-ion-cells-26650-cylindrical-cell.htm )

26650.jpg

According to their white paper, this appears to be a chemistry that is not as stable in maintaining potential as is the LiFePO-batteries.

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #3,138 of 3,865

26650.jpg

According to their white paper, this appears to be a chemistry that is not as stable in maintaining potential as is the LiFePO-batteries.

FWIW, this IS a LiFePO4 battery, and it is supposed to be one if the best, if not THE best. I ordered a very nice charger for these and will buy a few cells to test with.
Drawback: They are rather expensive, about €11 a piece. I also ordered a few battery holders for 26650 so I can mount them easily and put them in parallel too for lower internal resistance.

Aug 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #3,139 of 3,865
FWIW, this IS a LiFePO4 battery, and it is supposed to be one if the best, if not THE best. I ordered a very nice charger for these and will buy a few cells to test with.
Drawback: They are rather expensive, about €11 a piece. I also ordered a few battery holders for 26650 so I can mount them easily and put them in parallel too for lower internal resistance.

Yes, you're right (of course), I had overlooked that remark in the white paper, I thought it was based on a different Li molecule.

What do you think of the impact of temparature on the potential?
My impression was it was supposed to be more stable.

The power draw will be more or less constant for a single application, so that wouldn't worry me too much.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #3,140 of 3,865

Yes, you're right (of course), I had overlooked that remark in the white paper, I thought it was based on a different Li molecule.

What do you think of the impact of temparature on the potential?
My impression was it was supposed to be more stable.

The power draw will be more or less constant for a single application, so that wouldn't worry me too much.

They keep 3.2V almost all the time until they are empty. Those measurements are with 20W load at least. My applications would ask much less power, thus more stable.
I would use them to feed every single powerrail separately, they probably would have enough juice to run for a whole week..... (except for discrete output stage,,,,,)

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #3,141 of 3,865
I agree like getting a new DAC. I'm amazed at how this small part of the audio chain makes such a big difference.

So just to understand what this thing does?

- Cleaning dirty usb power.

- Faster chipset so it's doing more checks and balances on the zeros and ones?

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,143 of 3,865

I hear that these new super capacitors are pretty amazing - but have never tried them. http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-zpm

There should be a current draw during burnin - so the caps get worked.

Speaking of - I had good success replacing the stock ones with Nichicon HW's.

That sounds like a good idea. I opened up my dc30w, but cannot post the picture.
Anyway the inside looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TeraDak-DC30W-TOUCH-linear-power-supply-DC5V-3A-/262023873646

I see two big caps and four medium ones. However I cannot find any HW, only FW, KW, MW, SW.

Do you have website where I can order the ones you recommend?

Also, how many of the caps should I change? I see smaller ones on the board as well

Aug 3, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #3,144 of 3,865

I agree like getting a new DAC. I'm amazed at how this small part of the audio chain makes such a big difference.

Hello,

Interesting reflexion.
What is "strange" is the added value VS DAC usb input.
Is it because most of the time USB input is not correctly implemented on DAC's ?

Thx

Yes and as John Swenson speaks about 'Packet Noise' feeding back through the DAC PS to effect the DAC's clocks.

So just to understand what this thing does?

- Cleaning dirty usb power.

- Faster chipset so it's doing more checks and balances on the zeros and ones?

Yes to the first, the second is more complex - it has to do with reclocking the USB signal, reducing jitter, and using excellent Crystek clocks to create a 'cleaner', and better isolated audio digital output.  And filtering out PC and USB processing 'Packet Noise' from the DAC.

Hi

Just received my SU-1, nicely built, more heavy vs Breeze and Gustard.
Immediately plugged, sound already more "dense" vs others above.

Rgds
P

Nice!

Aug 3, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #3,145 of 3,865
This is my i2s f-1, for those who could be interested:

[ATTACHMENT=3060]image.jpg (1,051k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

After 24 hours, it sounds about perfect. Compared to spdif;

- highs are improved
- no harshness difference (none whatsoever in both cases)
- more ambience details
- more natural sound
-richer pianos tones
- a little less bass.
-the overall balance is a little bit better, the sound is less colored and more accurate.

Not much to criticize.. The highs are all there without the slightest hint of hardness or exageratiion. The i2s input of the master-7 allows hearing about any improvement.

Aug 3, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #3,148 of 3,865
Hi FredA,

You might try disable PLL on Master 7 - "http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm", since F-1 has much better clock than M7's.
If you are more adventureful, you can also try enable BYPASS on M7, this will let F-1 (almost) directly talk to PCM1704s.

Cheers

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #3,149 of 3,865
Hi FredA,

You might try disable PLL on Master 7 - "http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN_Use.htm", since F-1 has much better clock than M7's.
If you are more adventureful, you can also try enable BYPASS on M7, this will let F-1 (almost) directly talk to PCM1704s.

Cheers

Yes, thanks. I already have the pll disabled. This way, you can have jitter way below the specified 50ps of the spdif receivers. And the improvement in the highs is a sign of this as far as i can tell.

I don't bypass the dsp but i upsample all 44/16 audio files to 48/24 and have audirvana use over a million sample time window to do the job.. It is almost like hearing native hires audio really.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #3,150 of 3,865

I hear that these new super capacitors are pretty amazing - but have never tried them. http://audiobyte.net/products/hydra-zpm

There should be a current draw during burnin - so the caps get worked.

Speaking of - I had good success replacing the stock ones with Nichicon HW's.

Ok, I posted a reply but it didn't appear cause there's a link to a website and i also cannot upload my pic here. quite frustrating.

Anyway, the cap upgrade sounds like a good idea.

I opened up my DC30W and the circuit looks like this one when you search on ebay: "TeraDak DC30W TOUCH linear power supply DC5V 3A"

There are 2 big caps and 4 medium sized ones.

Which caps should i be replacing?

Also I only found nichicon FW, KW, SW....but no HW. Could you please show me a good website where i can order them?
If you can't post a link here, please send it me a pm?
Thanks rob :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back