XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 13, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #2,957 of 3,864

Anyway I'll know more on Wednesday - at least as far as the Antelope is concerned.

Ok. The suspense is killing me. Don't make me beg!

Hopefully you are listening to music that has surpassed your wildest dreams :)

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #2,958 of 3,864

Ok. The suspense is killing me. Don't make me beg!

Hopefully you are listening to music that has surpassed your wildest dreams :)

OK hooked up the OCX today - after giving the 'oven' a half hour to fully heat and stabilize (the little blue 'good to go' light actually came on in like 5 minutes) - I sat down to do a fairly extensive listening A/B versus the internal clock.

The result?  Outstanding!  The SQ improved in every way!  Most immediately noticeable even deeper bass then with the internal clock.  Another leap in detail retrieval - now the detail before put my Uber USB chain to shame (and it was stellar) - this is even more surprising.  It does take a little getting used to - the ear/mind starts to 'trip out'.  I mean a semi-hypnotic trace state within minutes of listening, the FLOW factor just carries you away.  It takes conscious effort to remain in audiophile critic mode, trying to assess objectively the SQ changes.

Thank god this level of audio is NOT in my car!

I think after a few weeks of listening this will lose it's immediate effect.

That was with the Antelope.  And now I am really curious as to what a well made Rubidium clock would do.

The second little tweek to arrive today was a Synergistic Research Galileo MPC.  This unit energizes the SR Element Digital cable shielding (and has two leads so the second went on a SR Ref X2 Power cable that I have feeding my amp).  Another profound SQ improvement, not as dramatic as the OCX, but definitely welcome.  More bass as well - my Maggie 1.6QR are now producing chest vibrating levels of perfectly tuned bass.  Listened to David Gray 'Please Forgive Me' - with huge bass drops that were stunning.  Not since I had my Talon Firebirds have I heard bass like this from my system.  What's cool is you can A/B live by plugging in the std MPC and the Galileo - and you can hear the SQ change immediately. It's the darndest thing - how this could have such an effect.

I immediately noticed greater image depth and inner lit quality.

It'll take some time to sort out the details on the SQ changes - I'll let the system play 24/7 for a week before doing any further posting.  I would say both of these are keepers for sure.

Also I'm using a BJC coax digtial cable to connect the OCX to the RN3.  I have this much better Oyaide Silver BNC digital cable coming from Japan to try.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/152131833873?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I guess to sum it up -
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #2,960 of 3,864
OK hooked up the OCX today - after giving the 'oven' a half hour to fully heat and stabilize (the little blue 'good to go' light actually came on in like 5 minutes) - I sat down to do a fairly extensive listening A/B versus the internal clock.

The result?  Outstanding!  The SQ improved in every way!  Most immediately noticeable even deeper bass then with the internal clock.  Another leap in detail retrieval - now the detail before put my Uber USB chain to shame (and it was stellar) - this is even more surprising.  It does take a little getting used to - the ear/mind starts to 'trip out'.  I mean a semi-hypnotic trace state within minutes of listening, the FLOW factor just carries you away.  It takes conscious effort to remain in audiophile critic mode, trying to assess objectively the SQ changes.

Thank god this level of audio is NOT in my car!

I think after a few weeks of listening this will lose it's immediate effect.

That was with the Antelope.  And now I am really curious as to what a well made Rubidium clock would do.
I guess to sum it up - :D  

Hi Rob

What was your setup with the Antelope test?
Antelope just on RN3 as Word Clock or simultaneously also on Mutec3+USB as Word Clock?
Was the Mutec3+USB still in the chain or had you taken it out?

Cheers

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #2,961 of 3,864
I should also note, the OCX made such a significant SQ change, I went back through all the RN3 setting. Best SQ setting DVS ASIO buffer to 32, 32 bit, 1ms. In the RN controler the RN3 set to 32bits.

This is great news. I am just getting used to the new sound of my D16/Mutec combo and like you said have my own version of getting lost in the movement of the music. I have never experience such good localization to the effect of sensing movement in orchestral pieces as the theme gets passed between different sections of the orchestra or jazz combo.

My main problem right now is trying to get two D16's to coexist in my system. My Plan A was to remove one PC and then network the two D16's to the remaining PC running DVS. My issue is that I have a connection from my office to the basement system that passes through two MOCA adapters that Dante does not like. Running cat6 does not seem like an option right now. This leaves me with Plan B which is two PC's, each connected to it's own D16 and DAC. While this should work I am having trouble getting it to do so. It seems to require me to choose one as master depending upon which system I want to listen to. This could work for now but I notice that if I set one to master then the other system does not like it and the DAC loses sync and in my case the Yggy starts clicking as it has relays internally that are trying to lock the signal. I even tried putting in a second NIC card in each PC however I could not get it to work properly and still access the PC via RDP. Since I use JRemote also I really need remote access to both headless PC's. I am probably missing something simple...

What I would like to do now is convince both systems to ignore each other. I will probably call Audinate today to get some ideas.

Maybe I will return the second D16 and get the Antelope for now until I can pull a real ethernet cable :)

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #2,962 of 3,864
Long ago I brought up about Antelope OCX but was given the cold shoulder. thanks for jumping in to try this. My friend who tried this ended up with a dCS Vivaldi.

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #2,963 of 3,864
  Long ago I bring up about Antelope OCX but was given the cold shower. thanks for jumping in to try this. My friend who tried this ended up with a dCS Vivaldi.

That dCS Vivaldi is a very sexy looking beast, but "cold shower" is fitting on another type of Forum. It is possible to get the "cold shoulder" here at Head-Fi, but not half as probable as at CA.

:wink:

Jul 14, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,964 of 3,864
Long ago I bring up about Antelope OCX but was given the cold shower. thanks for jumping in to try this. My friend who tried this ended up with a dCS Vivaldi.

yeah doing some research revealed a lot on pushback from makes no difference crowd.

there are rubidium clocks on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. hmm...

also master clocks like black lion audio mk2 and 3.

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #2,965 of 3,864
Hi Rob

What was your setup with the Antelope test?
Antelope just on RN3 as Word Clock or simultaneously also on Mutec3+USB as Word Clock?
Was the Mutec3+USB still in the chain or had you taken it out?

Cheers

Yes both - Mutec for SPDIF reclocking (the OCX won't do that), the OCX as Wclock.  OCX set to 192k.

Well the OCX as WClock would not be of any use with the USB DDC's like the F-1.  Even the SU-1 is Wclock out only - no input.  Only a very small set of DAC's in the consumer high end market can accept a WClock input - DCS is one of the them.  Same as for the Esoteric.  This new tubed DAC from Cary is in the sane price range (sub-$10K) the 200ts - it has a WClock input.  It is a common feature in the Pro Audio DAC market.  The DCS Vivaldi master clock it like $14,000.  Silly price.  The SRS PERF10 probably has lower phase noise. 

BTW in the Antelope materials I recieved is a technical piece on the OCX - quoting sub 1ppm stability.  Excellent even for a OXCO.  25 to 50 time more stable then a Crystek CCHD.

Starting with an oven stabilized, 3rd overtone, varactor tuned, SC-cut crystal oscillator, the PERF10 offers both the accuracy and stability associated with rubidium clocks and unmatched jitter performance - 30 dB better phase noise at 10 Hz off carrier than a competing "Swiss-made" rubidium clock.

The SRS PERF10 is 'only' $3500.

That dCS Vivaldi is a very sexy looking beast, but "cold shower" is fitting on another type of Forum. It is possible to get the "cold shoulder" here at Head-Fi, but not half as probable as at CA.

:wink:

Sexy it is!  Better be for that kind of money.  The Esoteric G01 is very nice as well.  See my post below

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,966 of 3,864
The Esoteric G01 clock is a top performer and one is for sale as a 'demo' out of Germany for $7400

http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/CD-Player-Recorder/Esoteric/G-01/MasterClock/156324

But I found this post: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/esoteric-g-02-clock-your-thoughts
I have a K-01X for which I'm also trying to rationalize external clock options. The G-01 and G-02 are redoubtable, but at those price premiums it is worth considering solutions based on scientific instruments or pro audio.

From a web surf it seems that the G-01 uses a Stanford Research Systems PRS-10 10 Mhz rubidium core. The G-02 has a cheaper Spectratime LCR-900 core. If your transport/DAC can't directly accept a 10mHz sine wave as a master clock, you would need to add a distribution amplifier that outputs Word Clock in multiples of 44.1kHz and 48kHz. Respected examples included Grimm CC1 and Antelope Trinity or OCX.

The premium 10Mhz rubidium master clock in a plug & play enclosure is SRS PERF-10(75 ohm BNC outputs) or SRS FS725(50 ohm BNC outputs). Both use the PRS-10 core as in G-01. I'm unsure which impedance is more appropriate to match an Esoteric CDP, as some Esoteric literature broadly specifies 50-75 ohms.

Both clocks include an integrated low noise SMPS. The PERF-10 has an optional port to accept an external 12V/5A linear power supply. I'm thinking of something on the high order of quality of Paul Hynes or HD Plex. For the FS725 it would be a relatively simple job to get inside the enclosure and install a power port to an external supply. In that event the PS would need to be 24Vdc/3A.

As I have posted before the SRS FS725 is $2695

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #2,967 of 3,864
yeah doing some research revealed a lot on pushback from makes no difference crowd.

there are rubidium clocks on eBay for a couple hundred bucks. hmm...

also master clocks like black lion audio mk2 and 3.

Part of my reaction was due to trying the Mutec MC-3+ USB as a WClock with the RN3 - it actually slightly detracted from the SQ.

The Antelope OCX in my system  - in another league. 

Those Rubidium clocks you quote are for bare units w/o ps.  Becareful there are many non-audio (most of these are GPS pulls) Rubidium clocks have extremely high phase noise.

As I have posted before there is this one from Ebay that looks interesting - though it's a 50 ohm unit - it has a nice LPS power supply:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-000M-Ultra-Precision-Low-Noise-RB-Word-Rubidium-Atomic-Clock-Generator-HIFI-/281937108477?hash=item41a4c2ddfd:g:4UgAAOSwa-dWnPzg

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,968 of 3,864
   Even the SU-1 is Wclock out only - no input.  

So... What ever happened to the SU-1?

Has anyone received one yet? Or did our REDnet devices eclipse it?

Jul 14, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,970 of 3,864

So... What ever happened to the SU-1?

Has anyone received one yet? Or did our REDnet devices eclipse it?

SQ wise they should be very close - edge maybe to the SU-1 if using the i2s output, edge to the F-1 on coax and fine LPS.

The SU-1 is a very nice turnkey solution - with a clever and well thought out i2s configuration scheme - hats off to Singxer.

I'm listening to my F-1 right now in my office (with the Uber USB chain) - it sounds great.  And I think for many it would be more then enough.  But in my main room - which is more resolving - the Rednet AOIP is tough to beat.

Tried switching the Cerious Tech Graphene power chord (I have three in the main system - one on the Mutec, One on my DAC and now one on the OCX) - from the RN to the OCX and it made an improvement.

Makes sense since the RN is now externally clocked.

This power chord has improved every piece of gear I have ever plugged it into.

PS Dante Control 3.1 is out now - Wifi compatible.
https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-controller

Users who are viewing this thread

Back