XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 10, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #2,926 of 3,865
hi Freda , thanx for reply
no it's physically broken (pulled accidentally on rca cable and ......) it's not a software or driver issue
i've already contacted audio-gd     and they told me the USB modules usb32, amanero and xmos have been discontinued
i insist that i have no other solution than change the usb pcb interface

after some research   found this post  and maybe this could work for me
and it's latest and better than the via1731
so why not try this solution

If you are comfortable with installing hardware, there is still this audio-gd xmos module available from audiophonics:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/audio-gd-xmos-u8-interface-digitale-usb-vers-i2s-32bit-384khz-dsd-p-10383.html

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #2,927 of 3,865
The easiest is to buy an external interface.

I don't understand which rca cable? Was the interface external ? If it is just the cable that is broken, any technician could fix it in a few minutes.

If you are comfortable with installing hardware, there is still this audio-gd xmos module available from audiophonics:

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/audio-gd-xmos-u8-interface-digitale-usb-vers-i2s-32bit-384khz-dsd-p-10383.html

thanx for suggest but the second is exactly what i want (don't want to spend too much for this)

correction it was not the rca but coax cable (red circled) that was  hooked and the dac fall while case opened (it a stupid accident but happened),   the usb interface in the greater red circle
ok the link you gave it 's what i prefer (re-close the case and get rid of that)
but i notice that the voltages are different     on xmos 5v     and on mine it's 3.3v
do you think that can be modified,
on the site  you gave the link there is the amanero (http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/amanero-combo-384-interface-digitale-usb-384khz-vers-i2sdsd-p-7403.html)   with 3.3v
what do you think    amanero or xmos , which one is the best?

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,928 of 3,865
How well does the ifi ipurifier compare to the wyrd?

I always say just try it and listen. I own just about all those devices and find the wyrd works well for my wife's setup, but the ifi purifier2 is much better than the wyrd for my own setup. They both are pretty good, but if someone asked me which one I would prefer, it would be the ifi purifier2 without hesitation. More often than not, I've hear improvements with this over the wyrd. In some situations the wyrd actually made a setup sound notably worse.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #2,929 of 3,865
thanx for suggest but the second is exactly what i want (don't want to spend too much for this)

correction it was not the rca but coax cable (red circled) that was  hooked and the dac fall while case opened (it a stupid accident but happened),   the usb interface in the greater red circle
ok the link you gave it 's what i prefer (re-close the case and get rid of that)
but i notice that the voltages are different     on xmos 5v     and on mine it's 3.3v
on the site  you gave the link there is the amanero (http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/amanero-combo-384-interface-digitale-usb-384khz-vers-i2sdsd-p-7403.html)   with 3.3v

The best thing would be to ask audio-gd, since they are the maker of both hardwares ( dac and xmos board).

I know that diyinhk.com make boards that operates under 3.3v and that they are very good. Again, maybe confirm with audio-gd if the devices are compatible.

Good luck with it.

Jul 10, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #2,930 of 3,865

Amanero is best. But to install it, on some audio-gd dacs like the m7, you need to change the firmware. I don't know about your dac. Again, ask audio-gd about it. You might have to make yourself a cable with proper i2s pin assignement. Same for for the power cable. Audio-gd could probably help you with this.

Jul 10, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,931 of 3,865

Another option, which is a direct replacement for the usb32 according to the description, made by audio-gd, both more expensive (...sorry):

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/audio-gd-amanero-combo-384-interface-digitale-usb-384khz-vers-i2sdsd-p-10134.html

If you are not in europe, you don't have to pay the VAT tax. So you pay 17% less. The price without tax is also posted in smaller characters.

Jul 10, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #2,932 of 3,865
Here is an update on my newly acquired f-1 after over 120 hours: in a word, it's awesome.

A couple of notches better than the modded breeze, not even on i2s. It's smoother and fuller. Bass is more generous, to such an extent that it made my speakers sound boomy. I had to apply a trick to them (for gallo 3.1 owners, the 15ohms 5w or more resistor applied on the boomer's second coil).

I suspect that for mac owners, it is near perfection. I believe the apple computers have a huge advantage over windows-running pcs since the asynchronous usb2 playback is natively supported. So i suspect that one can reach audio nirvana on a mac even using usb audio. In any case, judging by what i am hearing right now, i don't think there is any room for improvment on the signal side of things. It's like having the sweet spot seat at the concert if you know what i mean.

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,933 of 3,865
I have ordered a F1 and I am looking forward to combine it with Audirvana -> Schiit Wyrd -> F1 -> Schiit Gungnit MB.

I have almost no experience with audio DYI and I have a question: If I buy a aluminum case for the F1, do I have to connect it with the ground of the F1? Does that automatically happen via the nut of the RCA connector? Is there any point in surrounding the USB input connector with an inch of plastic to mitigate capacitive coupling as it is done for the Berkeley Alpha USB?

Thank you for interesting thread and the impression. I am super thrilled to compare the F1 with USB receiver in my DAC.

Jul 11, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #2,935 of 3,865
  Is anyone able to get this working with Linux???I am on ubuntu and this does not see it? Any idea???

V

It works on Linux, check dmesg and /proc/asound/cards.

Here is mine on tclinux running on the Raspberrypi.

dmesg:
[8644720.125607] usb 1-1.4: new high-speed USB device number 13 using dwc_otg
[8644720.226570] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=20b1, idProduct=3086
[8644720.226586] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=3, SerialNumber=0
[8644720.226598] usb 1-1.4: Product: USB Audio 2.0(F1)
[8644720.226609] usb 1-1.4: Manufacturer: Singxer

/proc/asound/cards:
 1 [U20F1          ]: USB-Audio - USB Audio 2.0(F1)
                      Singxer USB Audio 2.0(F1) at usb-3f980000.usb-1.4, high speed

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #2,936 of 3,865
I have ordered a F1 and I am looking forward to combine it with Audirvana -> Schiit Wyrd -> F1 -> Schiit Gungnit MB.

I have almost no experience with audio DYI and I have a question: If I buy a aluminum case for the F1, do I have to connect it with the ground of the F1? Does that automatically happen via the nut of the RCA connector? Is there any point in [COLOR=3E3E3E]surrounding the [/COLOR]USB[COLOR=3E3E3E] input connector with an inch of plastic[/COLOR] to mitigate [COLOR=3E3E3E]capacitive coupling as it is done for the Berkeley Alpha USB?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=3E3E3E]Thank you for interesting thread and the impression. I am super thrilled to compare the F1 with USB receiver in my DAC.[/COLOR]

You must not connect the ground, in fact technically, it's not earth, it's neutral.

I bought a case with which you just have to slide the board in. I drilled a hole on both ends. You have to measure the hole positions carefully, they are not centered. Start with a tiny hole, and then make it bigger gradually as needed (it is easier to get a clean and accurately posItioned hole this way using just a hand drill). Find a way to hold the aluminum covers in place while drilling the larger holes. I made the usb hole smooth using a rolled piece of sand paper.

I had to apply a small piece of electrical tape on a contact i figured could potentially touch the case on one side. There is only one such contact. The case i bought is a tight fit. I had to use a lever to prag it and to increase its height a bit on the rca connector end and push gently on the rca connector to be able to slide it in.

Be gentle with the board, hold it by its sides and beware of static discharges.

So this forum from a 1-2 month ago to get proper case suggestions.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #2,937 of 3,865
Here is an update on my newly acquired f-1 after over 120 hours: in a word, it's awesome.

A couple of notches better than the modded breeze, not even on i2s. It's smoother and fuller. Bass is more generous, to such an extent that it made my speakers sound boomy. I had to apply a trick to them (for gallo 3.1 owners, the 15ohms 5w or more resistor applied on the boomer's second coil).

I suspect that for mac owners, it is near perfection. I believe the apple computers have a huge advantage over windows-running pcs since the asynchronous usb2 playback is natively supported. So i suspect that one can reach audio nirvana on a mac even using usb audio. In any case, judging by what i am hearing right now, i don't think there is any room for improvment on the signal side of things. It's like having the sweet spot seat at the concert if you know what i mean.

Glad to hear you are enjoying my little discovery...just another amazing audio device I blazed the trail on (despite the early ridicule from one industry insider about my enthusiasm for the F-1 - just check the Regen thread).
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now you've only scratched the surface with what the F-1 is capable of
biggrin.gif
- Here is the chain I'm running now in my office system:

PC>PPA V2 USB card (TeraDak X1 - Nichicon HW caps)>Forza Twin Copper Split USB cable>Startech LEX>BJC CAT6 UTP 550Mhz>Startech REX (with one Jitterbug - Breeze 24VDC LPS+DC iPurifer)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable (data only leg)>W4S Recovery(TeraDak LPS DC-30W+Cerious Graphene PC+ DC iPurifier)>Curious 200mm USB Link>iPur 2>F-1>Audience AU24 SE Digital SPDIF RCA>APL DAC

Power link to Recovery - this multi-stage AC line filtering and isolation makes a big difference in sound purity:
PS Audio AC Recep>CPCC Hi Current Top Gun>Richard Gray RGCP400 PRo>Art Audio PB 4X4 Pro (3 dedicated ones - one for each part of the chain: F-1 Chain, DAC, PC to isolate ps noise from the other components)>Cerious Tech Graphene Red>TeraDak DC-30W>DC iPur>Recovery.

The addition of the ICRON/Startech GB LAN Iso audio USB extender is another major leap in SQ.  But the addition of the iPur2 right before the F-1 and the Recovery (for impedance matching - fed by a LPS), Curious 200MM link - all these add to better SQ.  Same goes for using a top quality SPDIF digital cable.

Also the Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme Red on the PS might give you a pretty significant step up in SQ as well (a few doubters on this cable - and well cables in general - have been blown away by this amazing cable).

Interesting that the SDPIF from your F-1 is bettering the i2s from the modded Breeze Audio.  As I have argued here with said audio industry insider numerous times, as OP dismisses SPDIF as pure garbage - and i2s the ONLY viable high SQ solution, that while i2s is better, it's the USB DDC(and it's USB data and power chains that really make the difference).

Here is my most recent ranking and ratings:
Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages).  The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:

REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/SR Element Copper digital cable                            253
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable                              250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)                                                 240
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord                                                                               220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB               170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord                                                        155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2                                                   145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen                                                               135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious                                                                                   135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious                                                                      130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2                                                    125
PUC2 Lite - USB power                                                                                          110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen                                                                   109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene                                                                      108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version)                                                                              100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version)                                                                                 95
Hydra Z with LPS                                                                                                    92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps)                                                                             85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock)                                                                                          81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps)                                                                                    76
Gustard U12 stock                                                                                                   72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC)                                                                                      65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon                                                                                      65
M2Tech EVO with LPS                                                                                              60
Audiophileo 2  USB Power                                                                                         50
M2Tech Hiface                                                                                                         40

Note the two major leaps - one by adding the ICRON/Startech GB LAN Iso Audio USB Extender into the chain.  Then the bigger leap away from USB completely to the REDNET3 Dante AES67 AOIP.  The Mutec 3+ did not help as an ext Word Clock to the RD3 - but after the RD3 as a SPDIF reclocker - excellent.

As I have rated (YMMV) the use of the ICRON/Startech makes a big difference.  But right now the REDNET AOIP is just in another league.

So you my have some further surprises in computer SQ coming down the road.
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #2,938 of 3,865
Another option, which is a direct replacement for the usb32 according to the description, made by audio-gd, both more expensive (...sorry):

http://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/interfaces/audio-gd-amanero-combo-384-interface-digitale-usb-384khz-vers-i2sdsd-p-10134.html

If you are not in europe, you don't have to pay the VAT tax. So you pay 17% less. The price without tax is also posted in smaller characters.

Unless something has changed, this is not a direct replacement:

http://www.maartenvandruten.com/

Shows process in Master 7

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #2,939 of 3,865

Glad to hear you are enjoying my little discovery...just another amazing audio device I blazed the trail on (despite the early ridicule from one industry insider about my enthusiasm for the F-1 - just check the Regen thread).
wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif

Now you've only scratched the surface with what the F-1 is capable of
biggrin.gif
- Here is the chain I'm running now in my office system:

PC>PPA V2 USB card (TeraDak X1 - Nichicon HW caps)>Forza Twin Copper Split USB cable>Startech LEX>BJC CAT6 UTP 550Mhz>Startech REX (with one Jitterbug - Breeze 24VDC LPS+DC iPurifer)>LH Labs 2G split USB cable (data only leg)>W4S Recovery(TeraDak LPS DC-30W+Cerious Graphene PC+ DC iPurifier)>Curious 200mm USB Link>iPur 2>F-1>Audience AU24 SE Digital SPDIF RCA>APL DAC

Power link to Recovery - this multi-stage AC line filtering and isolation makes a big difference in sound purity:
PS Audio AC Recep>CPCC Hi Current Top Gun>Richard Gray RGCP400 PRo>Art Audio PB 4X4 Pro (3 dedicated ones - one for each part of the chain: F-1 Chain, DAC, PC to isolate ps noise from the other components)>Cerious Tech Graphene Red>TeraDak DC-30W>DC iPur>Recovery.

The addition of the ICRON/Startech GB LAN Iso audio USB extender is another major leap in SQ.  But the addition of the iPur2 right before the F-1 and the Recovery (for impedance matching - fed by a LPS), Curious 200MM link - all these add to better SQ.  Same goes for using a top quality SPDIF digital cable.

Also the Cerious Tech Graphene Extreme Red on the PS might give you a pretty significant step up in SQ as well (a few doubters on this cable - and well cables in general - have been blown away by this amazing cable).

Interesting that the SDPIF from your F-1 is bettering the i2s from the modded Breeze Audio.  As I have argued here with said audio industry insider numerous times, as OP dismisses SPDIF as pure garbage - and i2s the ONLY viable high SQ solution, that while i2s is better, it's the USB DDC(and it's USB data and power chains that really make the difference).

Here is my most recent ranking and ratings:
Here would be my current ratings and rankings (the numbers are just a relative number - they are not percentages).  The Breeze Audio (Talema) DU-U8 = 100

Obviously these are my subjective ratings YMMV - and yes I have owned (had a loaner) all these for an extended period of time:

REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/SR Element Copper digital cable                            253
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB/Audience au24 se digital cable                              250
REDNET 3/Cerious/Mutec 3+ USB (SPDIF reclocker)                                                 240
REDNET 3/Cerious Power Cord                                                                               220
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2/Startech GB LAN Iso USB               170
Mutec 3+ Smart Clock USB/Cerious Power Cord                                                        155
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/ iPur2                                                   145
PUC2 Lite TeraDak DC30W/Cerious/Regen                                                               135
Singxer F-1 DC30W/Cerious                                                                                   135
DXIO Silver/TeraDak DC-30W/Cerious                                                                      130
Singxer X-1 DC30W/Cerious/Recovery/DCiPur/iPur2                                                    125
PUC2 Lite - USB power                                                                                          110
Breeze/Cerious Graph/WBT RCA Nexgen                                                                   109
Breeze DU-U8 with Cerious Graphene                                                                      108
Breeze DU-U8 (Talema version)                                                                              100
Breeze DU-U8 (BingZi version)                                                                                 95
Hydra Z with LPS                                                                                                    92
Melodious MX-U8 (upgraded caps)                                                                             85
Melodious MX-U8 (stock)                                                                                          81
Gustard U12 (upgraded caps)                                                                                    76
Gustard U12 stock                                                                                                   72
iDAC DAC2 (used as a DDC)                                                                                      65
Musiland USB3.0 US Dragon                                                                                      65
M2Tech EVO with LPS                                                                                              60
Audiophileo 2  USB Power                                                                                         50
M2Tech Hiface                                                                                                         40

Note the two major leaps - one by adding the ICRON/Startech GB LAN Iso Audio USB Extender into the chain.  Then the bigger leap away from USB completely to the REDNET3 Dante AES67 AOIP.  The Mutec 3+ did not help as an ext Word Clock to the RD3 - but after the RD3 as a SPDIF reclocker - excellent.

As I have rated (YMMV) the use of the ICRON/Startech makes a big difference.  But right now the REDNET AOIP is just in another league.

So you my have some further surprises in computer SQ coming down the road.
wink_face.gif

Well I trust you ear but I guess I am gonna keep it "simple" for a while. Until I figure the next best move... I would like to add a dc jack and a switch between external and usb power, and buy a fancy psu perhaps. And I will add for sure an i2s out.

You sure were right about this interface, though. Thanks.

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #2,940 of 3,865

Unless something has changed, this is not a direct replacement:

http://www.maartenvandruten.com/

Shows process in Master 7

For the master-7, the firmware has to be changed. For the nfb-1, our new friend will have to ask Kingwa to find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back