XMOS XU208 USB BRIDGES - THE LATEST GEN HAS ARRIVED!
Jul 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #2,896 of 3,864
  Having heard all three DACs - I would have to agree.

While the Perfectwave DirectStream is very good - especially on DSD native files - it lacks the bloom and tonality of the APL and particularly the intensely dense tonal pallette of the modded DAC60.  This is due to the very well done tube output stages on both these DACs.

I'd have to concur with Darko on his ranking of the Perfectwave and Directwave (on PCM files):  The Perfectwave kinda in there with the Gumby, the Directwave a notch above, but not at the top.  Note the R2R PCM1704 , tubed output, La Scala MkII at the top of his list.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/the-darko-dac-index/

Premier League 
Division 1

I've been researching the DirectStream quite a bit, and it's the top contender to add to my speaker system (can get new in box from Audiogon for <4k). One thing to keep in mind is that Darko's and many other reviewers' impressions of the DirectStream are based on the early firmware versions. Reviewers and users alike have been reporting significant improvements to the sound quality with each subsequent firmware update (Pikes Peak, Yale Final, and they just released a new version a few weeks ago) and it could potentially get even better in the future. Of course it will not have the tube sound, but it may compete in other categories.

If/when we get a Dante/Ravenna 2-ch interface with I2S output, I'll be the first to post my impressions of I2S vs SPDIF with the DS.

PS Audio says that the best way to connect the DirectStream Dac is via I2S. I have earlier only used USB to connect to the DirectStream Dac and was rather satisfied with that. But with the SU-1 I got the opportunity to connect to the Dac via HDMI (even though it is a cheap HDMI-cable) and I found as PS Audio said that IT sounded much better. Specially on DSD-files. But I will probably skip the StarTech in a year or so and try the the road you guys are travelling. But for the moment I am very satisfied how my system sounds.

If you do want to go down the Ethernet USB extender route, PS Audio is coming out with their "LANRover" device which may yield significant improvements over the non-audio-optimized Startech LAN. It will be interesting to see how much of the gap it can close between USB and RN3 AOIP.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,897 of 3,864
First thing i would actually recommend to anyone who uses speakers is fix up your room, and get diffusers/absorbers/super chunks in corners.

I just did this and the improvement i got is leagues above any dac/amp/device i can think of.
Your good to go tough if you only use headphones,  I'm probably not the norm tho since i strive to get my frequency response as flat as possible. even using studio monitors.

Jul 3, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #2,899 of 3,864
Does someone know where to buy this cable?
I plan to use F-1 with Anker Power Bank :)
Thanks !

Jul 3, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #2,903 of 3,864
btw rb2013 have diynhk sent you the newest dx10 pro3z
it's already in their website the cost is $216 using xmos xu216 and ndk crystal

it's said double the xmos xu208 in f1
seems inetresting to compare with f1

Jul 5, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,906 of 3,864
Hi RB,

Thanks for all that info on the Synergistic & the Audience. Audience were recommended cables for my Merlin speakers,
 The Audience au24se is little more detailed then the AS Statment 1.5M (which I'm still using in the office system), a touch deeper in SS as well.  So I sold the AS from the main system.

but in my space, with my amps and the APL, - I found them too thin. Of course, - that was a few years ago, and speaker cable is not the same as SPDIF digital. I got the 1.5m AS Statement in place and it was better out-O-the-box than the APL SPDIF. Soundstaging is much better, maybe a touch less detail, but a more cohesive presentation.

The Mutec sounds like it's a great converter/reclocker. I am starting to consider buying the Mutec first, - (before jumping all in to the Rednet), - then I'll already have the Mutec converting USB to SPDIF...

I wonder if it'll beat the F-1 as an USB to SPDIF converter......

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,907 of 3,864

The Mutec sounds like it's a great converter/reclocker. I am starting to consider buying the Mutec first, - (before jumping all in to the Rednet), - then I'll already have the Mutec converting USB to SPDIF...

In his most up to date ranking he has the a la carte F-1 at 130 and Mutec at 150. With his whole chain including multiple reclockers, linear power supplies, and the ethernet extender he gave the F1 a 170.

Jul 5, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #2,908 of 3,864
Jul 5, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #2,909 of 3,864
  Hi RB,

Thanks for all that info on the Synergistic & the Audience. Audience were recommended cables for my Merlin speakers,
but in my space, with my amps and the APL, - I found them too thin. Of course, - that was a few years ago, and speaker cable is not the same as SPDIF digital. I got the 1.5m AS Statement in place and it was better out-O-the-box than the APL SPDIF. Soundstaging is much better, maybe a touch less detail, but a more cohesive presentation.

The Audience au24 se was a major step up over the old line, don't know which you had - and they have a sx coming out now (I love to buy cables on launch of the next series - big discounts).  The au24 se just had more tonal body and image depth then the very good AS Statement.  Since the au24se was used it has a few hundred hours on it  - which got it fully burnt in before I bought it.  Digital cables handle very low signal levels and need long periods for burnin - unlike speaker cables or even interconnects.  I like to buy them used vs new - or at least demos that have been running a long time.

Now the SR Element Copper digital arrived last Friday - another step-up.  With the gray bullet (these bullets do sound different), retaining the tonal body of the au - but adding even more liquidity.  Just ordered the Galileo MPC.  The prices I paid for the SR and the au24se were pretty good.  The SR NIB demo.

These new digital cables have taken the SQ another step further - the Galileo should be here by weeks end.

I just received a new intel PCIe ethernet networking card to try out. 

The au24se went into my office system and I heard an immediate improvement.  This cable is $900 new and I paid $400 - I have now exhausted all the sub-$1000 digital cables on my 'to try' list.  Can't go to the kilo buck level - but very pleased at where I have wound up.

So I have another Audio Sensibilities 1.5M Silver Statement for sale if anybody i looking for an excellent RCA digital cable.  PM me if interested.

For me the F-1 (well fed) beat the Mutec MC-3+ USB as just a USB DDC (the USB board in the Mutec is nothing special), but with the 'extreme' upsampling G1 clock a great reclocker on SPDIF.

Jul 5, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,910 of 3,864
  In his most up to date ranking he has the a la carte F-1 at 130 and Mutec at 150. With his whole chain including multiple reclockers, linear power supplies, and the ethernet extender he gave the F1 a 170.

That is correct - the Mutec vs just the F-1 was better - adding in the Recovery, the iPur2 and the Startech - took it way past the Mutec.  For some reason could not get those other devices to work with the Mutec  - I think do to the Mutec needing a USB +5VDC handshake and it's GI isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back