Xmos Digital Interface questions
Mar 3, 2017 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
So i know the XU208 is the new hotness. The F1 and X1 boards.

Cant someone explain the difference between the F1 and X1? there's a large price gap

furthermore, If I don't intend to use a LPS, or other power supply with the F1/X1 would it be more wise to get a Xmos U8 implementation with a power supply built in like the Breeze DU-U8 Talema.. the cost is between the X1 and F1. I want an affordable, simple solution, not looking to string on aftermarket power supplies, decrapifiers, jitterbugs, etc.

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 7
  So i know the XU208 is the new hotness. The F1 and X1 boards.

Cant someone explain the difference between the F1 and X1? there's a large price gap

furthermore, If I don't intend to use a LPS, or other power supply with the F1/X1 would it be more wise to get a Xmos U8 implementation with a power supply built in like the Breeze DU-U8 Talema.. the cost is between the X1 and F1. I want an affordable, simple solution, not looking to string on aftermarket power supplies, decrapifiers, jitterbugs, etc.

The F1 is a simple USB to coax converter. it is powered by the USB bus. In my case this fit my needs perfectly. I have a Regen and an LPS1 that I put in front so the F1 is getting very clean power through the USB bus.

The X1 is powered by its own power supply. Some people have been modifying it to use external linear power supplies instead. The big difference is that the X1 provides a variety of digital outputs including I2S and AES EBU which many people find important for their DACs 

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, I don't intend to pair whatever i use with a LPS and Regen, so the question is a newer XU208 based design with no additional power supply, or a similarly priced, but maxed out XU8 solution like Breeze DU-U8.

I don't think we are talking about the same X1. This is what I was refering too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X1-XMOS-USB-Board-Digital-Interface-Module-XU208-DSD-DOP-for-Audio-Amplifier-/201655495887?hash=item2ef39aaccf:g:5NIAAOSw6n5XwsRn

it does not have a power supply, but it's half the cost of the F1, using the same Xmos XU208. There's got to be a difference, lower quality clocks maybe? less features? I don't know, it's not clear.

I know the XU208 is better then the older XU8, what I don't know is if an XU208 with USB power is better then a XU8 with a built in LPS ~ because they cost almost the same, the Xu8 is actually a bit cheaper.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 7
I think jcn3 is referring to the Singxer SU-1 which has a built in PSU.

The F-1 has a better clock than the X-1, there is loads of data here on them here
- http://www.head-fi.org/t/803111/xmos-xu208-usb-bridges-the-latest-gen-has-arrived

You can power the F-1 from USB, though it is better to using something like a TeraDak TeraLink X1/X2 DC8.5V 1A + USB DC5V external Power Supply which you can get from ebay for about £60 + postage together with a modified USB lead that only feeds the signal from the source (PC/streamer) and not the power which comes from the PSU instead.

I would go with an F-1 over an older XU8 based DDC, you could always start with just the F-1 and add a PSU at a later date.

I have an F-1 and think that pound for pound it is one of the best upgrades ive done. I also have an SU-1 in another system which costs more but is a convenient all in one solution.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 7
I ended up buying a wyred 4 sound recovery for now, one of my Dacs is USB only, I may get an f1 later, but I need to focus funds on more headphones and a better dac first. I have an older nos dac that I remember sounding best though spdif but I don't have an spdif transport anymore, was curios to try it again, but can't justify 200$ on a ddc with my current gear

The wyred 4 sound was used for a good deal, and it will work with both my dacs, and even the f1 later

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 7
The wyred 4 sound recovery is a good bit of kit as well - it has improved every DAC I have used one with and if you are interested in playing DSD it has benefits in that many DAC's only accept DSD via USB and not SPDIF. The recovery also benefits from a better PSU so it might be worth getting one at a later date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back