XM5’s Active variable crossfeed
Dec 2, 2008 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Keppel

New Head-Fier
I know that the Practical Devices XM4 and XM5 have active variable crossfeed, but I need some more details from those who are in the know. I have an XM4 (sweet!), but I'm thinking of upgrading to the XM5 because of the new features (sweeter!). Is the crossfeed the same on the new XM5?

This question would ideally be answered by someone who owns both of 'em.

Dec 12, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 7
A reliable anonymous source has informed me that the crossfeed on the XM5 is implemented in the same way as on the XM4. That being said, I don't think that's exactly the case... I've been doing a little research on Practical Devices' web page and it is different.

Dec 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 7
The crossfeed on the XM5 is not the same as the crossfeed on the XM4.
The crossfeed on the XM4 and XM5 are activated identically: there's a switch on the front to activate it, and a pot on the back to adjust it from "near-stereo" to "mono."

But the XM5's crossfeed was updated so that it's active. There's an additional powered opamp on the crossfeed module. One of the benefits of this is there is no change in attenuation when you activate the crossfeed. If this extra amp wasn't there, there'd be a change in volume when you hit the switch. The feedback I've gotten from folks on this has been pretty good.

[As far as I know, there are no other portables that have an active variable crossfeed. That's why I built it!]

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 7
It looks like a lot of thought was put into the amp. Great stuff coming around.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keppel
Do any other portables have active variable crossfeed, or is it just XM5?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxAmplitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[As far as I know, there are no other portables that have an active variable crossfeed. That's why I built it!]

I don't know of any either. I'm looking forward to trying it out...any day now!

Dec 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keppel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any other portables have active variable crossfeed, or is it just XM5?

Based on the table diagram on their website, it looks like that the XM5 is the only one with that feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back