xm satellite radio
Sep 26, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 20
I read an article that basically said the fidelity sucks due to the massive amounts of compression used in the digital format they use. Maybe okay for a car radio, but definatly not hi-fi.

I personnaly have not listened to it, so I would still give it a try, but not if I had to invest money first. The only plus I know of to this format is the abiltiy to travel long distance without loosing signal. And some channels are add free. ( what are the chances they are the ones that are worth listening to?? )

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #3 of 20
In my opinion, FM radio today is so bad that XM is almost a viable option. Then I remember I rarely listen to radio at all, and $10/mo is frankly just ridiculous. I do remember hearing that the system was cracked recently.

Sep 26, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 20
The people who complain about sound quality are obviously comparing it to recorded music or have never actually heard it.The sound is indeed not comparable to "CD quality" as the company has foolishly promised but is superior to even the highest quality FM broadcast.I have XM radio and love it.The sports broadcasting is the very best there is and the Jazz and R&B programming is simply the best I have ever heard.I had heard XM a few audio shows and was still not converted,when my Dad bought a 2002 Cadillac Deville DTS with an OEM XM radio reciever and had it activated I was sold.It sounded so amazing.We drove to Fairfield,Iowa right after he got the car and listened to the same Jazz station for the entire round trip.We never heard the same song twice.The prices on recievers has dropped considerably and the good ones are capable of true fidelity.I would'nt call it High Fidelity but it does sound good.

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 20
I still listen to CDs in my car.I have not adapted an XM reciever to any of my cars yet since I don't drive the same car or truck that often.I listen to XM mostly at home in the late evening hours.Actually I am listening to the NFL sports show on XM right now.Sounds great to me.

Nov 11, 2002 at 8:08 AM Post #8 of 20
I just bought the new Delphi reciever and had it activated.It sounds much better than the Sony and is much easier to use and program.I bought the Home and car install kits and sold my old Sony reciever on Ebay.I actually got near what I paid for it.I also had a 10% off coupon for Best Buy and got the Delphi set-up with both kits for only $25.00 net price difference.

I will continue to tout XM as much better than standard FM fare.The Jazz stations are the best around and the Blues station actually plays music I have never heard.I am completly addicted to the sports shows and love the reggae station as well.The price of the new Delphi unit($129.00) and the home insatll kit($69.00) place XM radio within reach and I think it is worthwhile.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #12 of 20
The Home install kit consists of a mounting base which the head unit docks to.It also includes a much smaller and easier to use antenna as well as a power supply and audio hookup cable.this unit has a much nicer and larger display than the Sony and scrolling text and jug dial.It is better than the Sony in each and every way.The display is large and clear enough to show all channel,tuning,artist and song info on a single screen.It is really impressive.Take a look at theDelphi Skifi tuner and make a decision quick.I heard they are selling out really fast.

Nov 13, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 20
How critical is antenna placement with your home XM unit, Tuberoller? I have also been considering the Delphi radio, but my audio system is nowhere near a window. I've heard that often you can simply set the antenna down in the middle of a room and it works. Have you found this to be the case?

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Walker
How critical is antenna placement with your home XM unit, Tuberoller? I have also been considering the Delphi radio, but my audio system is nowhere near a window. I've heard that often you can simply set the antenna down in the middle of a room and it works. Have you found this to be the case?

I had a Sony unit before and antenna placement was a bit more critical.With the Delphi I have never actually aimed the antenna at all.It is still wrapped in the plastic and is hanging behind the audio rack.I guess that would confirm that placement is much less crucial.the reception,as always,is top notch.I am in love with XM radio.I am listening to "Real Jazz" channel 70 right now.The song selection is first rate and sound quality is better than any FM radio.Not quite up to the promised "CD quality" as promised, but very good.

Nov 13, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #15 of 20
Thanks Tuberoller! And this from a man who lives in what used to be (and perhaps still is) one of the world's great "radio cities!" Are you old enough to remember the top 40 WARS of the 60s and 70s between WLS and WCFL? The voices of John "Records" (his real middle name!) Landecker, and Larry Lujack still echo through my memory. What I wouldn't give to hear a WLS Animal Story! LOL!

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back