XLR cable for HD650
May 23, 2005 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rob N

Headphoneus Supremus
What's the best (and cheapest) cable for these phones? Will need to be terminated with a pair of XLR's

May 23, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 7
Why the plural form "connectors"? I never understood why use two 3 pin XLR for 4 connection. There are 4 pin XLRs and 5 pin DIN connectors. If you use one of them, you can make easy a "reverse" adaptor back to the uniform jack. Although I have seen that some of the products sporting balanced output offer two 3 pin XLR for stereo, but then again, I fail to see the point why. This solution seems to be very cumbersome.

May 23, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

How about just re-terminating the stock cable with XLR connectors?

Yep, at 11$ these will easily cover at least the 'cheapest' requirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banfi T.
(...)Although I have seen that some of the products sporting balanced output offer two 3 pin XLR for stereo,(...)

Bingo.
Quote:

(...) but then again, I fail to see the point why.

+,- and ground. The latter isn't needed for headphones, but that's not what those outputs are intended for.
(will hopefully complete a balanced Dynahi with 4 pin XLR output for the K1000s next weekend BTW
smily_headphones1.gif
)

May 23, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 7
"+,- and ground. The latter isn't needed for headphones, but that's not what those outputs are intended for."

True, but then what is this for example? I see here two 3 pin XLR connectors attached to a headphone. I still miss the point...

May 23, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 7
if you use dual 3-pin XLR connectors as outputs, you can not only use it with balanced headphones but also as balanced preamp outputs too. maybe that's the reasoning behind it.

May 23, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Banfi T.
I see here two 3 pin XLR connectors attached to a headphone. I still miss the point...

The point is that there are a number of peeps that go direct out of XLR outs (two) on something like a Benchmark DAC1.

If I were having an amp built that I wanted balanced out I would have them put a 4-pin panel mount on and then the same on the cans. Two 3-pin XLR's seem silly when the builder can put in a single 4-pin. That way you can easily use K1000's with the amp too. If someone wanted to keep both cable runs totally separate and never combined in the entire length of the cable, then two XLR's makes more sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back