Xin to release 1/4" version af the Reference amp. Even more amazing now
Jun 16, 2007 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nc8000

Headphoneus Supremus
Following requests from slwiser and I (and possibly others), Xin has agreed that he will at some later date after initial release of the new Xin Reference amp be making available a version that uses a 1/4" headphone plug instead of the standard 1/8" plug. The source plug will still be 1/8". This is great so I can avoid using a converter plug/cable. There will be a premium price on this as demand might not be huge and it requires design changes and different parts.

Jun 17, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 26
Xin has just annouced that this is going to be the default configuration for the Reference amp at no extra cost. It will also be possible to keep the 1/8" output as a free option. Downside is that release will be delayed for another week.

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 26
Why would you want 1/4 jacks on a portable headphone amp???

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want 1/4 jacks on a portable headphone amp???

Just because and why not?

The answer for me is to maximize the potential of a Reference Amp without compromising it with an inferior eighth inch plug. The eighth inch plug is a compromise for portability. The quarter is also a compromise but just not as much. The quarter is more robust compared with the eighth inch design, being more robust it can take more stress on the mechanical interface. Being more robust compared with an eighth inch connector will provide for just a little bit better signal transition. Given that it is a Reference portable, I am more inclined to take my higher end headphone with me and enjoy them more. This will allow me to use my better headphones more often which is a plus.

Whether any of these are correct, those are my reasons.

oicdn, one more thing...I just checked out your amp review. Very good job there. I also noted that you had issues with the quarter inch plug and the PRII. The eighth-quarter adapter plug you have is very extended for the normal adapter. Most of these that I have seen go further into the unit and only have a slight 3/16 inch protrusion out of the units. When I use a headphone having an eighth inch plug on my home system I insert one of my adapters and they hardly extend out at all, unlike the one shown in your image for the PRII.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 26
That 1/4" to 1/8" adapter was mine, since I have acquired a much shorter one thanks to Vorlon1. However I do agree with OICDN.

Most users will use the amps as portable units, thus most will use IEMs, or cans terminated in 1/8" plugs. Yes some of use use full cans but we are in a minority so a IMO a 1/4" on a portable is for an small group of users and at best should be an option and not the standard. Just my $0.02

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...some of use use full cans but we are in a minority so a IMO a 1/4" on a portable is for an small group of users and at best should be an option and not the standard.

X2

I'd hate to have to use an adapter.

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 26
x3

hope he doesn't go back to research mode for another 3 months trying to figure out stuff with a 1/4" plug....

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 26
I hope that once he's done with the Reference, he'll go into research mode and build a full blown four channel fully balanced in/out battery powered home amp to go with the 1/4" plug
smily_headphones1.gif

- I've owned one of his original superminis, a superdual and one of his last er4 cables so I'm kind of a fan.

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #11 of 26
This is the latest board, now with both 1/4" and 1/8" input and output in one unit. Amazing
imgp0059s.jpg

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:07 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the latest board, now with both 1/4" and 1/8" input and output in one unit. Amazing
imgp0059s.jpg

VERY impressive. These are gonna sell like crazy when it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back