Xin SuperDual Photos
Jun 16, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox
so just to confirm: is the battery replacable on the final production models?

Xin has said yes.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #47 of 54
i thought the sd comes with blue led?

guess i'll have to spray paint that too

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #48 of 54
No blue LED. That's too bad. The blue LED on the PR has grown on me.

An what's with the beige RS mini cable. That will be going in the garbage.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:37 PM Post #49 of 54
From the ultra, ultra preliminary impressions of episiarch it doesn't seem a product to scream about... I hope his and others' judgement will change, as I was seriously considering this.

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #51 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
From the ultra, ultra preliminary impressions of episiarch it doesn't seem a product to scream about... I hope his and others' judgement will change, as I was seriously considering this.

just hop in the boat with me(no laughing) and just buy it

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Do continue seriously to consider it. I was trying to keep my impressions understated since I don't have the experience, ears or judgment to tell anybody which products are the ones to scream about. Make no mistake, it is fantastic to hear this level of quality in an amp that I can Velcro to the back of my iPod and leave there essentially permanently.

The SuperMini was several very big notches above the unamped iPod output. The SuperDual is a very, very audible step up from that in sound quality, and an unbelievable step up in features. It took me a lot of switching back and forth to decide that I liked the sound of the (burned-in) PIMETA over the sound of the (unburned) SD. And my PIMETA is a whole separate piece of gear to carry, one that is the size of the iPod and SuperDual put together.

Yes, I do have a piece of equipment whose sound I like better than the SuperDual. But only somewhat better, and at a cost in convenience and features. While the SD doesn't seem to me to be the perfect tool for every job, I think it's an outstanding tool for some jobs, at a really great price. I'll be travelling for a full month pretty soon, and while I could easily find room for the PIMETA in my luggage, I'm going to be leaving it behind (along with my 4P->4S cable). The SD will be much more convenient to deal with and will be more than enough to satisfy me when I'm not listening in the most critical way.

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #53 of 54
episiarch, are you using it with a line-out cable from the iPod or straight from the headphone-out?

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #54 of 54
Quote:

episiarch, are you using it with a line-out cable from the iPod or straight from the headphone-out?

Headphone-out (my iPod's a G2 with no line-out). Not the best, I know, but at least it's an apples-to-apples comparison since I used the same output for all three (through a Y-cable that drove two amps at a time for easier testing).

iPod volume was turned up to about 2/3 (my SuperMini has no volume control at all, so I had to choose a an iPod volume level that was not intolerably loud with that amp, then adjust the volume of the other two amps to match it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back