Xin appreciation thread
Mar 3, 2006 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

etys rule

1000+ Head-Fier
After spending a good bit of time with a few portable amps, I decided the SM3v6 is my favorite. I just wanted to take a minute and thank the man himself for offering such an amazing product. The v6 really blows me away. Everything from build quality to SQ is top notch. Thank you Dr. Xin.

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 35
Have you tried other op, say OP627/637?

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 35
No appreciation for Xin? You guys are cruel....
confused.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 35
i will let you know i ordered my first feb8 as so as it comes in i will leeet you know 5g ipod and senn hd650 waiting with me .they keep asking when there friend is comeing
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 35
I absolutely love mine! Using it with ER4Ps, and it just amazes me how good music can sound coming from my little iPod mini. Also, looking forward to getting the cable I ordered from RNB to complete the set. I actually go to work a little early each day so that I will have some listening time.

I have to say that I am a very satisfied customer, and that I appreciate Dr. Xin for making such a cool device.

Mar 5, 2006 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 35
I have a SuperMacro3 for use with my 4G iPod and a SuperMicro3 used with an iPod Nano.

Very cool amps.

Yes, communication with Xin can be spotty, but he has always come through for me. I'm waiting to hear about his offer to upgrade my SM3 (there are some improvements he made to the SMIII that can be applied to my earlier version.)

I have some notes on the amps on the following web pages:

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/audio/supermicro3.htm

smicro496.jpg

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/audio/supermacro3.htm

sm3f.jpg

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 35
Though the two SM3's in my setup are not the most current V6, the architecture and circurt design are super, which allows me to modify them with higher quality components and improve SQ a lot. The current SM3V6 has been implemented quite some improvements that are critical to SQ since I got my last SM3. Really appreciate Xin's enthusiasm to continue improving his design.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 35
I'm still using a SuperMacro-3v3 with switches that was purchased in April 2005. I use it with the Class A adapters and various opamps.

I think it sounds very good, and holds its own against my RSA Hornet in terms of overall sound quality.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by etys rule
After spending a good bit of time with a few portable amps, I decided the SM3v6 is my favorite. I just wanted to take a minute and thank the man himself for offering such an amazing product. The v6 really blows me away. Everything from build quality to SQ is top notch. Thank you Dr. Xin.

Hi, mine has an AD8397 op amp. Which one do you have? Thanks.

As far as sound I do like it, specially the bass boost feature and xin-feed.
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #10 of 35
I have an SM3, the bass switch has hardly any effect. I've only ever heard the effect on a bass solo, just.
Shouldn't it be like turning on 'bass boost'?

Mar 5, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #11 of 35
I have been enjoying Xin's SM3-V3 and Sennheiser HD-600 for almost two years now with a lot fun and great joy. I also have the MINI-3 in place for on the road listening with my Coby MPC-741. It's amazing to see how Coby can work so well in great harmony with MIN-3 in producing such wonderful sound. It makes long and mundane trips much more tolerable and sometime enjoyable too.

I also have a dual amp setup with SM3-V3 and MINI-3 in place for serious listening at home. I discover that by mixing the two very different sonic signatures of AD8397 and LT1083 in the dual setup, it gives the sonic character of the music I really like. The bass is deep and tight, the mid is crip and the highs are just beautiful. Here is the setup:

sm3mini308d9wr.jpg

On the player side, I have a new iPod 5G in place to test out the new Rockbox. The reason I go for iPod is because Rockbox is now ported to iPod 5G and others. It allows iPod to play lossless codecs including FLAC and Wavepack files. I have been playing Wavepack music files on my 5G without a single problem for almost a week now. The playback is smooth and the sound is just fanastic. Here is the pic of the Linart theme I use on my 5G:

sm35grockbox2jf.jpg

Here is the discussion thread on Rockbox and iPod 5G:

http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166418

Many thanks to Xin for his great work. Enjoy!

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I have an SM3, the bass switch has hardly any effect. I've only ever heard the effect on a bass solo, just.

It's just a little bit of bump in the lower frequency, not as dramatic as the usual bassboost.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

I find that interesting, 'cause to my ears the bass boost is very noticable.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Hi, mine has an AD8397 op amp. Which one do you have? Thanks.

As far as sound I do like it, specially the bass boost feature and xin-feed.
biggrin.gif

Miguel,

My SM3 has the new configuration. OPA2134 with 1X BUF634. I like....

Funny though, I still set the iPod to EQ Acoustic and use the BB. I like the dark sound.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I find that interesting, 'cause to my ears the bass boost is very noticable.

I reckon I must have a bit of a knackered SM3?
frown.gif
No way to test it is there?

My setup(in my sig), should be quite good I reckon? Using the Convolver on Foobar with the 'MetalEQ', if that makes a difference? A 'DeathEQ' I downloaded for the equaliser sounds awful.
plainface.gif

As is obvious by my EQ choices, I listen to Metal.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back