Xin appreciation thread
Mar 5, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I reckon I must have a bit of a knackered SM3?
frown.gif
No way to test it is there?

My setup(in my sig), should be quite good I reckon? Using the Convolver on Foobar with the 'MetalEQ', if that makes a difference? A 'DeathEQ' I downloaded for the equaliser sounds awful.
plainface.gif

As is obvious by my EQ choices, I listen to Metal.
wink.gif

BB is not in your face. It is so subtle. You should be able to tell the difference though.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #17 of 35
Listening to Steve Vai, which is well produced/quite bassy, but switching the bass on and off has no effect at all.
frown.gif

I forget the OPAMPs in it, something like 627s rings a bell? Is the switch easily broken?

Mar 7, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #18 of 35
I LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEEEEE my XIN SM3 V3.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

4 feature switch is fun to play around with, mixes things up a bit and adds "variety" to some of my badly produced recordings and 128k radio streams.

With Xin SM3 Bass Boost, I just go stupid with the bass.
basshead.gif
Then, in a minute or two, when I'm normal again, I just shut it off. Like I said, it's really fun in a stupid kind of way. The bass boost sounds great with my Shure E5c's.

This thing is TINY.

Rolling opamps is cool. You can suit the amp to your taste and rig(s).

There are some really cool thread posters at Xin's Cool Talk, guys like goto2003 and HiFlight, et al. . . .

Thanks to them I really didn't roll opamps, because I'm really happy with OBCA SA5534, learned of it through Cool Talk. (This opamp makes up a bit for E5c's treble rolloff.)

I waited about 6 monts for possible (?) Xin DAC but couldn't wait any longer and got Micro DAC (simply awesome).

Xin's always gone out of his way with my customer service, but I must admit I lose a bit of confidence when he disappears.

Did I mention I really like getting stupid with bass boost
basshead.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
. No need to mess with equalizers, just a flip of a switch
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #19 of 35
I purchased the Supermicro on introductory pricing and wanted to return it a few days afterwards due to wanting the more versatile Supermini instead. He has the nerve to tell me to keep the amp for as long as his 30-day money back guarantee because he suggested that I give his product a good listen anyways. Later on, even though the intro. period had ended he quickly shipped me the Supermini for no extra cost. It was easily a couple of bills more expensive by that time.

Xin, thank you.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #21 of 35
I'm embarrassed to say this, but even though I was using the right-sized allen wrenches, they must have been low-quality or something; I think I stripped the front screws. I'm too afraid to try again.

What can I do!? It's been like this since the day I bought it, in may, and now I can't roll op-amps, which was the whole point in the first place, as I can't even open up the front.

I'm waiting for that free SMv3 upgrade thing, I guess.

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:15 AM Post #22 of 35
I used to work on cars for a living, and dealt with stripped fasteners a lot.

WARNING: DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! VERY HIGH RISK OF DAMAGE TO AMP CASING AND FASTENERS!!! IF YOU SHEAR OFF HEADS OF FASTENER, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET BOLT/SCREW PORTION OUT.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

First if you have one, clamp SM3 in a vise with soft jaw grips so you don't ruin it. I'd leave batteries in SM3 to give it more weight so it won't move around.

Option 1) Use Torx sized screwdriver or bit socket that's just a bit bigger than hole. Tap Torx head LIGHTLY into hole with a small hammer. You need to use enough force to dig into fastener. Too much force and you'll ruin the electronics due to shock and vibration. The Torx teeth will dig into screw head and create a new "torx" head fastener. Now from now on just use this Torx bit to remove and install.

Option 2) Use a very thin file or saw, and cut a slot or slots in fastener head. Then use a Flat or Phillips screwdriver.

I'd recommend Option 1, you get more torque and surface area, and you just have to very carefully hammer the bit on.

Either option your screw is going to look horrible, and you may want to replace them.

WARNING: If this doesn't work and you strip or shear the heads off completely, you're totally DEAD.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Having said all this, I'd probably just leave it alone.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

You could send it to Xin, but you may never see your dear amp again, and if you do it will be gone for months in XinLand.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #23 of 35
Yeah, cut a slot in it and use a regular screwdriver.

When I worked on Military aircraft parts, the screw heads would often come off. Seeing as how the stuff was worth a lot of money it had to be salvaged. We had special drill bits specially made, can you buy them?

Mar 8, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Yeah, cut a slot in it and use a regular screwdriver.

When I worked on Military aircraft parts, the screw heads would often come off. Seeing as how the stuff was worth a lot of money it had to be salvaged. We had special drill bits specially made, can you buy them?

I wouldn't know how to find something like that... I mean, I'm sure I could brute force a way past the front two screws, it's just the screw inside the volume control that would REALLY give me a lot of trouble.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosCow
I wouldn't know how to find something like that... I mean, I'm sure I could brute force a way past the front two screws, it's just the screw inside the volume control that would REALLY give me a lot of trouble.

There was a name for it, something like 'screw-out'?? Sorry, I don't remember it exactly.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #27 of 35
Regarding the bass boost - Xin changed the level of the bass boost in the Supermacro some time ago, making it stronger. Maybe your amp was made before that change in design?

_Dan

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Regarding the bass boost - Xin changed the level of the bass boost in the Supermacro some time ago, making it stronger. Maybe your amp was made before that change in design?

_Dan

I thought he actually toned the bass down a little.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 35
Bass Boost is really one of my favorite features.

I've tried messing around with Itunes Equalizer and custom settings, but Xin's BB just so right.

I only use it 15% of the time, but when I do I LOVE it.

I'm not too happy with Xin's disappearances lately, but if I had to buy another amp, I'd still go with the SM3. It's just so FLEXIBLE and TINY and it sounds awesome.

Bass Boost and opamp rolling are things the Micro Amp and Hornet just don't have.

Maybe it's because I already have bass-heavy and bass-capable Shure E5c's, but with my Micro DAC and SM3 with Bass Boost, it's like having subwoofers on my head that weigh just two ounces.
very_evil_smiley.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Simply awesome. I LOVE it. LOVE it.
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #30 of 35
I emailed Xin about my weak bass and he replied in 2 days.

I switched my OPA627s with a couple of SA5534s I had and its made a big difference. The bass works better now, it deepens the bass doesn't make it boomier.

I see some people have their amps in OBCA, What is that and what difference does it make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back