Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #916 of 992

I've broken the plugs on a couple of pairs while using them in the gym. Probably my fault but the metal did seem fairly fragile in comparison to the other IEMs I use in the gym.

I was looking at the Piston 3 Colorful yesterday. I'm just so scared of fakes, as I just purchased my first Piston 3 fake this week. I have spent enough time with learning about fakes that it should not have happened. It's just that the fakes are getting really good. Perfect looking control wands, and all the small microscopic burnished lines in the aluminum, just like the real ones.

Still the leaning comes from the sound. If you have originals and know the sound of the originals then there is simply no comparison in sound. Also the fakes are light weight and don't have exactly the same build.

Still confusion was started by the company in a way. There are so many sub models that it's hard to keep track of everything.

Thanks for the replies!

After assessing my options, I've come to the conclusion that the prevalence of fakes is too big of a risk, so I'm going to buy a different product. If I were still living in the US, I'd probably take the chance. However, the markup on pretty much any headphone here in Brazil is at least 200% over the exchange rate, consumer protections are weaker and shipping usually takes longer. I don't want to be still looking for another set of headphones in a month, at the same time I'm trying to get my money back from a vendor who may not even know he's selling counterfeits.

It's really a shame, but I wonder what Xiaomi could really do. They have a reputation for providing awesome performance at unheard of prices, but in this case, that reputation has made their product so popular that it's unusually attractive for counterfeiters. A less popular product likely doesn't have enough demand to reward counterfeiters, and customers of more expensive products aren't likely to buy through the same channels as customers of Xiaomi products, where sellers aren't always easy to vet. It's an interesting case.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #917 of 992
i heard that asus zenear is using the same driver as piston 3, not to mention that zenear was oem-ed by 1more who made the piston 3. you might want to get that if you don't wanna risking your money on piston

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #918 of 992
Brought these back out, and even with a perfect seal with memory foam ear tips I find these not the most satisfying. The EarPods are better-balanced than these, but I can hear more details with the Pistons. These are pretty transparent and instrument separation is stellar for this price range, but I don't find the sound signature pleasant. Mids don't sound full, and the treble is a little harsh. The sound is very detailed though.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #921 of 992
are these http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/Xiaomi-Piston-3-Basic-Version the same piston's mentioned in this thread? also anything i should know about buying from this vendor

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #922 of 992
are these http://penonaudio.com/Earphones/In-ear-earphone/Xiaomi-Piston-3-Basic-Version the same piston's mentioned in this thread? also anything i should know about buying from this vendor

No, it's the Basic version. The IEM talked about in this thread is sold out. I know it is confusing, hence my response to you.

As a repercussion of the original heat created by the Piston 3, both company marketing and fakes have arrived to the marketplace.

The Youth Edition and Basic Edition are totally different IEMs. Still it does not mean that the company is not going to make great heaphones again. The Piston 3 Pro may be a nice IEM, never heard it. Though just remember each model is different and will sound different in the end. That's life.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #923 of 992
I love these little machines. Mine accidentally took a trip in the washing but despite that they're still going strong. The sound quality is astonishing for the price and paired with a xiaomi phone they really come alive. A fun listening experience, I can't wait to see what the next iteration will bring

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #924 of 992
I've had a question on my mind for a while. On my xiaomi phone it has an option to choose which headphones you're listening to and it optimises for it. When I choose that it's the piston 3 the clarity is boosted lots, what's it doing to 'optimise'? Is it all just balancing?

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #926 of 992
I've had a question on my mind for a while. On my xiaomi phone it has an option to choose which headphones you're listening to and it optimises for it. When I choose that it's the piston 3 the clarity is boosted lots, what's it doing to 'optimise'? Is it all just balancing?

Amazingly phones can do more than just modify the EQ from flat. Don't have a Xiaomi phone but suggest that it's a chance they are also using DSP for other style of effects like room reverb and head stage enhancement?

Using so many of the players with my Samsung phone has showed me the added result of effects. Right now the Foobar Resolut program also offers various cross fade setting which can dramaticly change the sound with out any defrauding room reverb.

Many audiophiles like to stay away from EQ and let the source and IEM sound like it naturally does. Though at times it is amazing how a manufacture can nail an after market EQ setting.

Jan 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #927 of 992
what cheap headphone do you think best compares to it these days? i dont have the budget for 1more's triple driver unfortunately 

It would be nice to find someone to chime in on a parallel IEM. I go back to my Piston 3s after listening to a number of similar priced IEMs and am amazed at the value of sound for the $. Though the other great thing is the build. They seem to have arrived at a great level of build. Don't have an answer for you.

Jan 3, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #928 of 992
Guys, I use the biggest ear tips that came with the Piston 3 but it still falls off from my ears. Can someone please advise me of some good ones with nice sound isolation, preferably not expensive?
Thanks

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #930 of 992
The issue at times is that the Piston nozzle is slightly short. Obviously both diameter and length of nozzle size are going to affect if the IEM fits but the tip can also act to actually make the Piston 3 fit like an IEM fits with a longer nozzle.

It seems length though is most important after getting the tip size.

Some tips are actually simply longer. I use the tips that came with my a-jays 2 IEM. The largest silicone are both the longest and widest I have.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/510466/review-a-jays-two-a-jays-three-and-t-jays-two-the-budget-invasion
The reason the Piston 3 does not fit people right much of the time is the shape of the ear. Because of the short nozzle, the IEM does not go deep enough without the IEM actually being stopped by contact with the outer ear. A longer tip allows the tip itself to go slightly deeper thus allowing a more firm fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back