Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #481 of 992
So far there hasn't been any reliable report of counterfeit, a bit here and there but nothing conclusive.

Piston 3, unlike piston 2, is not an immediate "wow, that sounds good!" Thing. In piston 2 the sound is clear, airy, and the bass slams. In comparison piston 3 is much less airy and the mid is a bit muffled with less bass quantity.

With a lot more listening i can see that piston 3 is basically piston 2 with less v shaped curve. The sound is less airy which make the soundstaging feels smaller, but it's not. And the muffled mid makes it feel like an inferior to piston 2, but piston 3 retrieves more detail.
It's a shame the bass is less clean compared to piston 2.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #483 of 992
Gearbest has somehow goten slower :frowning2: 4 weeks and no sign of the package. If i get it I will post my impressions. I checked the invoice and I paid $14 shipped.

As a side note to fakes from these chinese stores. I doubt Gearbest, baggood, and fasttech would send fakes. The reson for this is they a) Have distribution contracts with the manufacturers b) Are often official Xiaomi product sellers. I don't know much about geekbuy.

Though you shouldn't underestimate greedy retailers, but if they sell Xiaomi cell phones and other products in bulk, it's legitamacy seems to be a non issue.

Aug 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #484 of 992
I have just noticed the qr code on the cable is far too small for my phone. But it is still working and sounds pretty good. Sometimes when I touch the connection I hear distortion but not a big issue yet...

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #485 of 992
  I have just noticed the qr code on the cable is far too small for my phone. But it is still working and sounds pretty good. Sometimes when I touch the connection I hear distortion but not a big issue yet...

Try experimenting with different QR reader apps. As for the distortion, it could be a problem with your playback device rather than the IEM.

Aug 21, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #486 of 992
  Did you try the QR codes? 

I think the sound signature may be not of your taste. I'm used to more fun-sounding and "detailed" IEMs and found these to be a bit dull and congested in the highs, but I can see why some people think of them as being balanced or smooth and not sibilant, though the bass is a bit bloated. I didn't find the P3 sibilant until I removed the filters to which they became too bright, and this didn't make the highs any clearer, just the uppermost midrange where sibilance occurs.

I agree that the cable noise is pretty bad as well, it's mainly the in-line remote touching my shirt that increases microphonics.

I was not able to scan the QR code, it's too small for my iPhone 6 to read.

However, I have to say my opinion is changing.  I took these on a trip recently, and used them for hours on end on the trip, and they have come alive.  I was shocked at how good they sound after extended listening.  My initial impression was not fair to these headphones.

They definitely sound a lot better than I remember at first, not sure if it's me or the earphones.  Either way, I'm pretty happy I have these now.  Definitely worth more than what I paid!

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #488 of 992
The Piston are really impressive after more listening. I love the open soundstage and excellent instrument separation. Overall a fantastic IEM for $20.

Aug 28, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #489 of 992
I do believe these go through a process of break-in... This level of detail reproduction is unheard of for $20.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #494 of 992
I ordered the Piston's III's,waiting on delivery now

I tried to order the Honor AM-12 with Amazon, the order went through ,,then got an e-mail saying "the item is no longer available,
I got an e-mail saying the item, was no longer .
I know some ratings on these is not so hot, but I just wanted to A-B them ,to hear ,exactly what the differences are.
Anyone know, where I can still get them from a reputable dealer,if,at all?

Thanks,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back