Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
May 16, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #272 of 992
Youth Pistons are on their way to me from GeekBuying, via Singapore Post. Took them a few days to ship but hopefully they won't take too long to get here. How quick are Singapore Post?

May 17, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #276 of 992
Looks like they are the OEM manufacturer of the Pistons for Xiaomi, changing cosmetics (case) and colors (cables) to differentiate.

May 18, 2015 at 1:05 AM Post #278 of 992
any ps4 owners use this with their dualshock 4 headphone jack? want something decent quality that i can use for chat and gaming/movies at night when my headset is getting charged.

only have apple earpods right now and them mic is messed up on those (constant buzzing)

May 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #279 of 992
OK I just ordered a pair..... if nobody else has made a hands on (ears on?) comparison between regular Piston 3 and Youth Edition I will do so.

So the Youth Edition (henceforth YE) arrived today and I can do a quick comparison with the Piston 3 (henceforth P3).

Packaging and Presentation

Just like the Piston 2 plastic editions these arrive in the usual small square Xiaomi card box containing the earphones and the spare tips. There is no presentation case as is supplied with the metal Piston 2 or or the P3. The tips are the same for the YE and P3.

Physical Appearance and Materials

The most obvious difference is that the YE has a flat rubberised cable all the way, whereas the P3 has braided cloth covered cable below the Y split, and rubberised round cable above the Y.

The Y split is shrouded in a metal covered cylindrical plastic join on the P3, and in a tapered rectangular plastic join on the YE.

The headset controllers differ in the same way - metal covered cyclinder on the P3, plastic rectangle (aprox) on the YE. Button positions and function are identical.

The 3.5mm jack is gold plated on the P3 and of stainless steel on the YE.

The front piece of each earphone is identical. The back section of the P3 is metal. The YE back section is plastic. Both models have a round metal backplate. This is smaller on the YE as the earphone tapers more acutely from front to back. The YE is narrower at the back. Overall depth is the same to within a fraction of a mm, if not actually identical.

Fit

No difference. Same angled tube in both models and identical to wear. You can wear these with the cable up and over but the sound changes for the worse. I guess the port gets obscured because the sound gets thick and dull.

Sound

After just an hour or two I can't confidently identify any difference. Sometimes I think I do but then sometimes I think I'm listening to the P3 and look down and it's actually the YE, and vice versa. It's clear enough that these are the same drivers in marginally different shells. Looking at exploded diagrams of the two models suggests that the YE are a little simpler, with the driver assembly simply clipped or glued or pressed into the shell while the P3 driver assembly apparently has some physical dampers and is secured by a screw or rivet. I'm never entirely trusting of publicity materials but I am also not about to destroy my property to satisfy curiosity, mine or yours....sorry :D

Anyway experience suggests that in very similar models, and in the absence of golden ears (mine are fool's gold), any differences are going to be identified either by proper measurements or by extended listening and familiarity. I don't have test facilities so I have to defer judgement. I suspect that the P3 has a slightly richer lower end but this could be down to marginal difference in overall sensitivity rather than a true difference in balance. Or I might have imagined it. It's that close.

Both earphones suffer rather badly from conduction noise AKA "microphonics". This is probably the one aspect of Xiaomi earphoes which I think is very poor and should and could be done better. I don't think there is a real excuse why a tiny sliding cable tidy isn't fitted, as is the case with many other IEMs from similarly priced ones up to the most expensive. I'll fix mine with a tiny zip tie, trimmed to fit but I shouldn't have to.

Isolation

Identical in each case: not that good, as you'd expect from ported semi-open earphones. Etymotic and Shure can relax....if you want isolation look elsewhere. These are not the earphones for planes and trains and busy streets.

Final Note

Apart from the microphonics there isn't really anything to criticise. I've bought earphones at 4, 5, even 10 times the price which didn't sound as good and were no better made.

I'll update this and/or write a full review in the review section after spending more time using the YE and hopefully being able to either confirm or dismiss any suspicion of sound diferences with the P3.

May 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #280 of 992
Got my Piston 3, regular edition.
The bass is more controlled and does not bleed into the mids nearly as much as the Piston 2's bass does. But I think the treble on the Piston 3 is really veiled. They try to hide it via a peak in the upper mids, rendering female singers a bit shouty, but they clearly lack sparkle up top. Soundstage is good. Fit is comfortable. 

Good deal for its price.

May 20, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #281 of 992
this user say they suck http://www.head-fi.org/t/751210/xiaomi-1more-design-classic-earbuds-quick-review

That was me and yes. They suck. I gave them away.
I have just received the P3's and am testing them as I type. The mids are a little disconcerting but perhaps that is due to the V shape of the P2's that I was used to. The biggest annoyance is the location of the mic/controller. Way too close to the face. Had it been a couple of inches lower I would have said it was perfect. But it's fiddly as hell to find the buttons now. Role on v4! lol

May 21, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #282 of 992
I saw that Xiaomi officially launched their online stores in US / Canada / UK on Mi.com. They are starting off with the accessory products. I was hoping that they would sell the pistons in the US but it seems liked they are only selling the bigger portable headphones. 

Hopefully they will sell the pistons soon !

May 21, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #283 of 992
  I saw that Xiaomi officially launched their online stores in US / Canada / UK on Mi.com. They are starting off with the accessory products. I was hoping that they would sell the pistons in the US but it seems liked they are only selling the bigger portable headphones. 

Hopefully they will sell the pistons soon !

They probably will (and probably should), seeing their constant demand.

May 21, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #284 of 992
Hi All,
Based in Singapore and thinking of picking these up. Unfortunately Xiaomi SG isn't stocking them :frowning2: Not sure where else to get them. Ironically it seems it's easier/cheaper for you guys in the US to get them! (Lazada SG is stocking them at +/- $30)

QUESTION:
- Would these be good office IEMs? I'm mainly after their Mic functionality and want to pair them with Comply tips for isolation (loud office). Going to be making a lot of calls (Video conferences, etc.)
- I'm seeing a few people say that the 3.0s need an amp to get quality... Would I potentially be better off with the 2.0s as they don't need to be amped? I'm also after some solid bass...
- Overall, how's the call/mic/sound quality for calls?

Thanks - and if anyone happens to know a legit seller in Singapore, do let me know :)

May 21, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #285 of 992
  Hi All,
Based in Singapore and thinking of picking these up. Unfortunately Xiaomi SG isn't stocking them :frowning2: Not sure where else to get them. Ironically it seems it's easier/cheaper for you guys in the US to get them! (Lazada SG is stocking them at +/- $30)

QUESTION:
- Would these be good office IEMs? I'm mainly after their Mic functionality and want to pair them with Comply tips for isolation (loud office). Going to be making a lot of calls (Video conferences, etc.)
- I'm seeing a few people say that the 3.0s need an amp to get quality... Would I potentially be better off with the 2.0s as they don't need to be amped? I'm also after some solid bass...
- Overall, how's the call/mic/sound quality for calls?

Thanks - and if anyone happens to know a legit seller in Singapore, do let me know :)

*The mics sound very good. However if you're in the office you might want to consider full headsets with a mic over that extends in front of you - like those skype / gamer headsets since in the office you won't be worried about portability. These are great but I occasionally hold the mic infront of me if the environment is loud. 
* You don't need an AMP. Tried on pc / phone. they sound great. 
*Sounds great for calls. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back