Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #242 of 992
  I got my Piston 3.0's in a couple of hours ago, I may end up writing a longer review but I'll list my first impressions here.
Personally I don't understand people saying that these aren't bassy, in my opinion they have a ton of bass compared to what I'm used to.
They sound very nice, especially so for the price. They have without a doubt exceeded my expectations.
The highs are a little much for me still, but maybe that will get better as time goes on.
As for the mids, I would definitely like if they were more pronounced. They sound good but are fairly low.

For electronic music they sound very nice, the bass really helps here and the accentuated highs bring out a lot of detail in the music.
With rock/metal music the lacking mids are really noticeable, the vocals fade in to the background compared to the drums/guitars/high hats. They seem to suffer the most with male vocalists compared to female vocalists.
My reference material are a set of Yamaha HS80M monitoring speakers in an acoustically pretty good room, a pair of Sennheiser HD555 and the German-Maestro GMP 8.35D's.

Conclusion: for the ~20$ I spent for them they sound really good, maybe some EQing could fix the mids but for electronic music they are good as is.

Piston 3 is definitely not bassy. You will understand it when you have FIDUE A71, you will know what the real ton of bass is.  
tongue_smile.gif

May 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #243 of 992

Piston 3 is definitely not bassy. You will understand it when you have FIDUE A71, you will know what the real ton of bass is.  
tongue_smile.gif

I guess I'm not used to having a ton of bass in headphones/IEM's. I actually have somewhat of a frankenstein setup here right now with a car sub to play with in combination with my HS80M's :p

May 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #245 of 992

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Selling-Original-Xiaomi-Piston-3a-Youth-Version-Earphones-Headphones-Headset-In-Ear-apperance-sound-comfort/32335331748.html

It's Iess expensive.  Is it better than Xiaomi Piston 3? 

it looks like they finally got the buttons correct.  (the 2.0 were atrocious, the 3.0 are better but still difficult to use 1-handed because it feels like 1 long strip)

OK I just ordered a pair from tinydeal and paid for tracked postage by PostNL Registered Air Mail. Grand total less than £10. It should take less than two weeks for delivery and if nobody else has made a hands on (ears on?) comparison between regular Piston 3 and Youth Edition I will do so.

Nice, I can't wait!

. Isolation matters a lot in this use case, which surely is hardly an unusual use case for an Android headset.

I use 4mm tri-flange silicone tips on my pistons.  I LOVE LOVE the 2mm tips from the same manufacturer on my etymotics.  For whatever reason, I don't get the same isolation with these.  I suspect the issue is the wider nozzle prevents the third flange from fitting inside my ear.

Ideally, we want a 4mm tri-flange with a longer stem, so the flanges can fit inside the ear while the earphone nozzle is outside.

Here are the tri-flange tips on my 2 pairs.  
also you can see the glue i put on the 2.0 buttons, now they are very usable.  I will probably do the same on the 3 to make them more tactile

The 3 is EXTREMELY sensitive to being rubbed on a shirt (e.g., walking while talking). A scratching sound drowns out everything else.  i have never had this issue with any other headset microphone.   I would love to see if the plastic case of the youth version fixes this.

For now I have tied knots in both earphone wires to try to shorten them so the microphone hangs closer to my mouth

May 9, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #247 of 992
I don't have the same experience as far as microphonics go. They're average I would say, not that loud but definitely there.

I find them rather poor in this respect, exactly like the Piston 2. The plastic/rubber covered cables above the Y split are horribly prone to conduction noise, as are the earpieces themselves.

The obvious and cheap solution is a sliding cable tidy as found on all kinds of earphones from very cheap ones upwards. It really does make a difference and its omission always seems like a mistake to me.

May 12, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #251 of 992
I got my p3s a few days ago from Geekbuying and it's legit. Also their costumer support told me that this is a 100% original product.
God damn it I ordered them at 21$ :xf_mad:

how long did shipping take? I bought them a few days ago and they gave me a tracking number for PostNL but it says there's no information on tracking. Likely it hasn't got through yet as it does say 15-30 days... seen some complaints about their slow shipping

May 13, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #253 of 992
Is "Robert's super store" selling legit Piston 3s?

Also, would those of you with a pair of these recommend these for someone who listens to a lot of electronic music?

I've seen people rave about them, and since my Earpods just died, I signed into this thing for the first time in years to ask about em'.

In case it matters, I'm on the fence between springing on Piston 3s or re-buying Sennheiser CX215s.

May 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #254 of 992
The Piston 3 are much nicer sounding than the budget Sennheiser CX models but also a lot less sensitive (quieter) and with a bit less bass and a bit less isolation. Maybe the Piston 2 would be a better replacement for your old CX215s - big bass, nice open sound, similarly sensitive/loud.

May 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #255 of 992
How would the Piston 3s compare to the iPhone earpods in terms of bass? I've mostly been using earpods for the past year or so, so if it's bassy-er than those, I think I'll be fine.

I may just stick with my plan of copping the Senns, though,  as I'm planning a trip that involves megabus within the next week or so, so I don't really have time to wait 19 years for the ship to find its way from China to the US/dealing with someone selling fakes.

Edit: In addition to my early question about the validity of "Robert's Super Store", are the If editions sold by Tanggroup2014 legit?

Sorry if I'm asking too many dumb questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back