Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #211 of 992
I wouldn't say the Piston 2 was a basshead IEM. The bass is emphasised yes but it isn't massively emphasised so as to distract from the rest of the sound.

They are V-shaped but not the most V-shaped IEM you could buy I don't think.

May 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #212 of 992
2.0's bass is so bloated especially on the bass drums. I think that's mid bass to upper bass. It wasn't that bloated the first few hours, but after like 100 hours, it's worse.
Of course, this is comparing to $100-$200 IEMs. They obviously still definitely the best under $50. Going to order the 3.0 since they are $16 on Geekbuying

May 4, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #213 of 992
I can. But if lots of people says the 2.0 sound better it kind of worries me. It takes a bit for them to get here and I am currently listening to music on some cheap OEM headphones so I need them badly. Before ordering I got the idea they were a natural evolution from the 2.0, now I don't know.

Hi "compatriota",

I have Paperback, 2.1 and now 3. Personally, I prefer the 3. Not only for sound but also because in my case, they fit better in my ear. 2.1 tend to fall if I move my head too fast. For 15€ you don't risk a lot :wink:

I am also about to order a pair of 3 version Youth :)

May 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #214 of 992
But if lots of people says the 2.0 sound better it kind of worries me....

The 2s don't sound better, it's just that if you use your IEMs in noisy places where a bass boost helps mask the noise then the 2s are better for this particular, very common use. The 3s are definitely the better IEM in terms of sound quality, comfort, and headset controls but when isolation is very important then choose something else, probably not a Piston of any generation.

Also the Piston 2 are more sensitive so go a lot louder than the 3. This probably doesn't matter much with a portable player because they can usually go to very high levels anyway. But it does matter with smartphones which often have quite low output levels.

If I was going to use my Galaxy Note II outside in town I would prefer the 2. If I was somewhere quiet with one of my portable players or my Note hooked up to external DAC/Amp then my choice would be the Piston 3.

May 5, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #215 of 992
Hi "compatriota",

I have Paperback, 2.1 and now 3. Personally, I prefer the 3. Not only for sound but also because in my case, they fit better in my ear. 2.1 tend to fall if I move my head too fast. For 15€ you don't risk a lot :wink:

I am also about to order a pair of 3 version Youth :)

I know you, you're that stiff moderator from ZWAME, right? :wink: thanks for your input, by the way.
The 2s don't sound better, it's just that if you use your IEMs in noisy places where a bass boost helps mask the noise then the 2s are better for this particular, very common use. The 3s are definitely the better IEM in terms of sound quality, comfort, and headset controls but when isolation is very important then choose something else, probably not a Piston of any generation.

Also the Piston 2 are more sensitive so go a lot louder than the 3. This probably doesn't matter much with a portable player because they can usually go to very high levels anyway. But it does matter with smartphones which often have quite low output levels.

If I was going to use my Galaxy Note II outside in town I would prefer the 2. If I was somewhere quiet with one of my portable players or my Note hooked up to external DAC/Amp then my choice would be the Piston 3.

That's the thing, I love the isolation that the 2.0 gave me and I'm going to use them on my HTC One m8

May 5, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #216 of 992
Joker's comments below....P3 to P2.

-In two words, "less bassy"
wink.gif

Review coming soon. -

May 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #218 of 992
  Anyone know if geekbuying is a reliable place to purchase them? Right now they have a sale for $15.99 w/ free shipping.

Really thinking about snagging a pair now.

I am also thinking of buying these from geekbuying.
Also, geekbuying has Xiaomi Piston III Youth Edition, which are a little bit cheaper. What's that? How do they differ compared to the standard version?

May 6, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #219 of 992
I tried looking that up aswell a while back, it seems like they're a cheaper version of the Pistons.
This is Xiaomi's official page on the Youth version, unfortunately it's in Chinese: http://item.mi.com/1151800021.html

May 6, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #220 of 992
How do these compare to the Monoprice earbuds? I have two pair and enjoy them (for the most part)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=9927&catargetid=320013720000066114&cadevice=c&kpid=109927&gclid=CjwKEAjw96aqBRDNhM6MtJfE-wYSJADiMfggym4s9kEqvN-m1eLRCRaiVfqoKCTJR4fdW5EhSHPjtRoCWhbw_wcB

May 6, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #221 of 992
They'll be far less bassy, which you may or may not like. The sound is much closer to neutral although has a bit of punch in the top end to stop them sounding completely dull.

Comfort will be better as they're curved to fit the ear although the stock tips are (IMO) poor, so I would get something else, the Sony Hybrid tips work nicely.

They have a remote which you might like if you have a smartphone?

May 6, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #222 of 992
They'll be far less bassy, which you may or may not like. The sound is much closer to neutral although has a bit of punch in the top end to stop them sounding completely dull.

Comfort will be better as they're curved to fit the ear although the stock tips are (IMO) poor, so I would get something else, the Sony Hybrid tips work nicely.

They have a remote which you might like if you have a smartphone?

I didn't read through the whole thread so forgive me if this is mentioned elsewhere but is the remote an Android or iOS remote?

May 6, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #224 of 992
Anyone try Xiaomi Piston 3 Youth Version?  

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top-Selling-Original-Xiaomi-Piston-3a-Youth-Version-Earphones-Headphones-Headset-In-Ear-apperance-sound-comfort/32335331748.html

It's Iess expensive.  Is it better than Xiaomi Piston 3? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back