Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #152 of 992
  My first impressions of the Piston 3, about 10 hours burn in only, is that it is not very balanced at all. Packaging and confort are perfect, materials good enough.

Sound quality on the other hand was not as high as I expected. First impressions is of a bloated bass, not subbass or high bass, I would guess around 80Hz. Mids are alright, resolution is good, and highs are just a little raised from neutral. V shaped like everyone says, but not as much on the highs (not very sibilant) as on the bass (clearly emphasized). Treble resolution is not so great too. Overall an adequate resolution, but not a giant killer at all. 

Sure, it is only 20usd or so, I should adjust my expectations. Let's see if some hundred hours burn-in changes much.

I totally agree with you. Bass is good and not overwhelming, but there is one range where it sounds bloated..

I also noticed that they are not too loud, I would like to get few more steps of volume on them and also, sometimes sound and especially mids and highs sounds distant.

My expectations were not that high since I don't really own any expensive audio equipment and only can compare them to Samsung IEM's, Sennheiser PX 100-II and Logitech Z5500. 

Am I happy with my purchase? On happiness scale from 1 to 10 id go with 6,5/10. Would I buy them again? Probably not.

Other points:

Build quality, materials - very good
Comfort - very good
Design - very good 
Mic sound quality - very good
Sound quality - its acceptable when you don't have anything else you like to compare it with, but in terms of sound quality it would be not a huge step-up from Samsung Galaxy S4 IEM's. If i would compare SQ with Samsung's IEM's id give them 6/10 and P3 would get 7,5/10.

Hope this helps for anyone else. My pair is genuine, confirmed by the QR code near 3,5 mm jack. 

Apr 27, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #154 of 992
I received mine from ibuygou. 17 days from order to delivery in UK (within the normal range for stuff from China).

First impressions:

Good, compact packaging and nice presentation. No waste.

Earphones nicely designed, very comfortable and really snug fit - there should be no problems using these under helmet or while lying down.

Headset control exactly where I am used to from Samsung IEMs/headsets. This is more convenient than with the older Piston designs (I have both metal and plastic versions of the Piston 2). All controls work as expected with my Galaxy Note II.

Can be used looped back over ear without swapping sides.

Tips are a bit flimsy and too small. Xiaomi Medium & Large tips equate to other brands Small and Medium. Other tips fit easily. I've tried tips from UE600 and some EarphonesPlus foams - no problems.

Sound is better balanced than the Piston 2. Bass is less boomy, highs are much more natural - there isn't that slightly harsh hollow feel to the higher notes that could be heard in the older Pistons. Like with the Piston 2 (and just about any budget single driver IEM I guess), really deep bass is absent. This is readily apparent in comparison to my dual driver Samsung HS330 IEMs or my over-ear Sennheiser Momentums headphones but the Piston 3 is still better than the Piston 2. There is a lot better detail as bass doesn't bleed into mids. Acoustic and vocal music sounds very natural.

Isolation is reasonable but nothing special.

The Piston 3 is definitely less sensitive than the Piston 2. This is fine with me. And I'm happy with a 32 ohm impedance. This helps the Pistons sound the same on a wide range of devices with differing output impedance, and helps a lot with any player that makes a bit of hiss. My Samsung devices and my ancient iRiver players were shipped with 32 ohm IEMs or buds, as are iPods/iPhones. It's a good choice.

Overall I prefer my dual driver Samsungs but I do like the Piston 3 a lot and think they are better than the earlier version. They make for a perfectly acceptable IEM overall, a surprisingly good one considering the price, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants a good sound, comfort and full Android compatibility.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #156 of 992
I received mine from ibuygou. 17 days from order to delivery in UK (within the normal range for stuff from China).

First impressions:

Earphones nicely designed, very comfortable and really snug fit - there should be no problems using these under helmet or while lying down.

Headset control exactly where I am used to from Samsung IEMs/headsets. This is more convenient than with the older Piston designs (I have both metal and plastic versions of the Piston 2). All controls work as expected with my Galaxy Note II.

Tips are a bit flimsy and too small. Xiaomi Medium & Large tips equate to other brands Small and Medium. Other tips fit easily. I've tried tips from UE600 and some EarphonesPlus foams - no problems.

Sound is better balanced than the Piston 2. Bass is less boomy, highs are much more natural - there isn't that slightly harsh hollow feel to the higher notes that could be heard in the older Pistons. Like with the Piston 2 (and just about any budget single driver IEM I guess), really deep bass is absent. This is readily apparent in comparison to my dual driver Samsung HS330 IEMs or my over-ear Sennheiser Momentums headphones but the Piston 3 is still better than the Piston 2. There is a lot better detail as bass doesn't bleed into mids. Acoustic and vocal music sounds very natural.

The Piston 3 is definitely less sensitive than the Piston 2. This is fine with me. And I'm happy with a 32 ohm impedance. This helps the Pistons sound the same on a wide range of devices with differing output impedance, and helps a lot with any player that makes a bit of hiss. My Samsung devices and my ancient iRiver players were shipped with 32 ohm IEMs or buds, as are iPods/iPhones. It's a good choice.

Overall I prefer my dual driver Samsungs but I do like the Piston 3 a lot and think they are better than the earlier version. They make for a perfectly acceptable IEM overall, a surprisingly good one considering the price, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who wants a good sound, comfort and full Android compatibility.

Damn you made me regret for ordering these headphones :) if you think that the 12$ Samsung headphones are better, so the Pistons 3 doesn't worth a penny. :/

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #157 of 992

First impressions:

Damn you made me regret for ordering these headphones :) if you think that the 12$ Samsung headphones are better, so the Pistons 3 don't worth a penny. :/

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #158 of 992
Anyone here knows who the real maker of piston
I heard piston is designed by 1moredesign and some claimed these were made by Dunu.

Dunu - http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs
1 more design - http://www.head-fi.org/products/1-more-design-piston-crystal

so who is it? 1moredesign or dunu? @@

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #159 of 992
Damn you made me regret for ordering these headphones :) if you think that the 12$ Samsung headphones are better, so the Pistons 3 doesn't worth a penny. :/

I didn't say that the Piston 3 aren't worth a penny. They are very good value. I said that I think the Samsung dual drivers sound a bit better. On the other hand the Pistons are much more ergonomic and comfortable, and in my experience Xiaomi IEMs are nicely made and durable while Samsungs break very easily indeed.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #160 of 992
I didn't say that the Piston 3 aren't worth a penny. They are very good value. I said that I think the Samsung dual drivers sound a bit better. On the other hand the Pistons are much more ergonomic and comfortable, and in my experience Xiaomi IEMs are nicely made and durable while Samsungs break very easily indeed.

I would not agree that Samsungs sound better. I own same pair as you. They are a slight improvement in SQ, but with Pistons 3.0 you get much better design, superb comfort and great build quality. 

For the money, you are getting the best which is out there. This is the conclusion I came up to after my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back