Xiaomi Piston 3 vs 1More's Voice of China edition
Oct 12, 2015 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

U-3C

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone! First thread here~

I'm planning to order a new pair of budget IEMs, and I was looking at the Xiaomi Piston 3 (in fact, I already ordered it, but I asked if they can put my order on hold :p). However, I later heard about Xiaomi's partner, 1More, and their  "Voice of China" edition of the Piston 3 (Voice of China is my parents' second favorite show~). I usually use my iPhone to listen to music, and having gotten used to the volume control on the stock Apple "Earpods," I really wish that my next pair of IEMs can have the same function. I have heard great things about the Piston 3's, but I can barely find any reviews or comparisons between Xiaomi's and 1More.

I want to ask those who have had experience with both: are they the same, and if not, what is the difference? Is one inferior in quality to the other? Is it worth switching over to 1More's version simply for the remotes on the iOS? Do the remotes work well on the iOS?

I also prefer the black color of Xiaomi's Piston 3's, so if there is a black version somewhere that also supports iOS volume controls (or both Android and iOS), please please tell me. :D

Thanks in advance for your time!

Oct 27, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Not sure if this helps - but I reviewed the 1More Voice IEMs over at Headfonia

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 9
  Not sure if this helps - but I reviewed the 1More Voice IEMs over at Headfonia

It sure does! Thanks for sharing! Waiting for my pair to arrive at any moment now~

However, reading reviews in both English and Chinese, only the original Xiaomi Piston 3's remote only supports Android, with the volume controls being useless on iOS. On the other hand, 1More's Voice of China version should support both Android and iOS (with the buttons' functions programmable in the system settings of Xiaomi phones, though I heard you can access those tools on other Android devices via apps), which is why I decided to order them over the original black Xiaomi Piston 3s. :/  I hope they work well (>;v:wink:>

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #4 of 9
Just an update:

Finally got my 1More "Voice of China" IEMs!!! The remote on 1More's "Voice" edition does work with both iOS and Android in my case, so I don't know why it only worked on Android for Brooko. However, there has been two times where the volume buttons stopped working on my iPhone 5s. Simply replugging them will fix the issue. One time, I took a look, and I saw that when I pressed volume up on the remote, the volume level displayed went up, then immediately jumped back. The middle button still works fine during these cases though.

I haven't bumped into this that much, and both times were on the go, so I didn't have a chance to play around with the remote when the issue occurred, nor do I know what triggered it. I'll see if I can figure it out and post it here. I suspect that the middle button is the standard pause/play control that works with all systems, but the volume up and down buttons are only universal for either Android devices or iOS devices. Both the Chinese and English website says that the remote is designed for iOS, while being compatible with Android. On the Chinese website, 1More also mentioned that it's an "intelligent remote." I didn't really use this on my Android devices yet, so I have no idea if the same issue persists on that side. Seeing that the remote on Xiaomi's Piston 3's are perfectly fine with Android, I suspect that 1More found a way to "fake" the signal that iOS devices receive, or vice-versa, and the method is not perfect. I have only used this pair for a few days on iOS and I have no understanding regarding electronics, so I stand corrected.

The only reason I went with the 1More edition is because these claim to support both Android and iOS. I was extremely frustrated before my purchase because I couldn't find any reviews that verified this. One person in this thread claimed that they worked, but another person who did a full review claimed otherwise. Aside from these two cases, the remote on the "Voice" edition was never really talked about, even though I expected a remote that can support both platforms should be a big plus in terms of features. I hope that my feedback can provide some insight for people who were in the same situation as I was.

Oh, by the way, just like the Piston 3, they don't smell like chocolate. ;_;

However they look gorgeous, with almost full metal housing! <3

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 9
I just received these last night. I enjoy the sound signature more than the Xiaomi Pistons III. However, the remote Does not work properly with my BlackBerry Z30. I find that the pressing the volume down button does work (unlike on the Xiaomi Pistons III), but it is problematic. Sometimes a single press with lower the volume, or it will appear the phone as being held down for a moment. This is a big issue for music playback and voice calls.

Dec 6, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #6 of 9
  I just received these last night. I enjoy the sound signature more than the Xiaomi Pistons III. However, the remote Does not work properly with my BlackBerry Z30. I find that the pressing the volume down button does work (unlike on the Xiaomi Pistons III), but it is problematic. Sometimes a single press with lower the volume, or it will appear the phone as being held down for a moment. This is a big issue for music playback and voice calls.

Yes, sometimes pressing the volume down doesn't work on mine either. Usually, a simple replug will fix the issue, but one time, no matter what I do, including restarting the phone, didn't get the volume button to work. Then, it magically started working again. I still haven't really figured out any patterns yet. : (

The middle button seems unaffected. I haven't used it much on my Android tablet, but the issue hasn't showed up yet. I wonder what is the cause...

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi All,
Just posted a review of those 1more earphones http://www.head-fi.org/t/790924/1more-piston-in-ear-headphones-review .
Enjoy :)

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, the one I got didn't come with a clip or carrying pouch. Those would have been nice~

I also experienced the same issue regarding the pistons sounding different depending on the source. I can't stand the sound from my iPhone 5s, but the pistons come alive as soon as I plug them into my laptop or my Samsung tablet. I'm happy to know that it isn't just me facing this issue.

Cheers!

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 9
I just want to post my experience with the 1more voice of china. They sound too sharp for my taste and a little metallic and they didn't last long, 2 month and they are broken. first the left side lost volume and then the right side sounded tiny until they lost totally volume. over the time they became worst and worst until stop working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back