Xiaomi Piston 3 (2015)
Apr 21, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #106 of 169

Yup that's an authoritative figure. Maybe my expectations are in the wrong place because I generally enjoy multi-BA drivers that are at least 5-10 times the price of these. So maybe I'm being overly harsh.

If you like the M50 type of sound then this thing might be your cup of tea. I just generally prefer monitor type sound. And small soundstage really really I mean REALLY bugs me.

I totally agree. The Piston 2 I had sounded really similar to the M50. With that said, I found the bass to be within tolerable levels. It also doesn't have the sibilance of the M50 but the midrange suckout is definitely noticeable.

By the way, what tips were you using? By the looks of it the Piston 3 has the exact same tips as the old one, which I found to be terrible. I had a hard time getting a good seal and they'd fall out of my ear if I wasn't stationary. That and the recessed mids is what made me give away my Piston 2.

Apr 21, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #107 of 169

I totally agree. The Piston 2 I had sounded really similar to the M50. With that said, I found the bass to be within tolerable levels. It also doesn't have the sibilance of the M50 but the midrange suckout is definitely noticeable.

By the way, what tips were you using? By the looks of it the Piston 3 has the exact same tips as the old one, which I found to be terrible. I had a hard time getting a good seal and they'd fall out of my ear if I wasn't stationary. That and the recessed mids is what made me give away my Piston 2.

I use Sony hybrid, the biggest one. Though I didn't have fit problem with the stock tips. The Piston 3 is actually quite good ergonomically (and look wise). My ear generally aren't picky with fit. I find the Piston 3 quite comfortable, though the over ear angle is a bit weird as it slants backward. But perfectly functional.

May 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #110 of 169
Hello,

i've just received those earphone for a potential replacement of my audio technica ckm1000 who began to fall appart... After reading a lot of good thing about them i thought those will be perfect... i open the perfect packaging, the design and look are fu***** awesome and they are pretty light compared to my ckm1000 ! but ... the sound is just awful. i don't consider myself as a audiophile, i dont like the bose sound, the monster beats (studio) is crap... i've bought the audio technica ckm1000 after winning a great deal on yahoo auction... i listen music on my iphone with them since something like 5 years. i dont know if it's the habits to listen my music with it, but now, i can go back... it's like they just sound like the default apple earphone. odious ! it's a pity, because they looks so great and are so comfortable.... 

i dont know how sounded the "big" names like shure or sennheiser, but i really think the piston 3 cant be compared to any "good" earphone, you just buy the design with these earphone... i've lost 18$

May 7, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #111 of 169
  Hello,

i've just received those earphone for a potential replacement of my audio technica ckm1000 who began to fall appart... After reading a lot of good thing about them i thought those will be perfect... i open the perfect packaging, the design and look are fu***** awesome and they are pretty light compared to my ckm1000 ! but ... the sound is just awful. i don't consider myself as a audiophile, i dont like the bose sound, the monster beats (studio) is crap... i've bought the audio technica ckm1000 after winning a great deal on yahoo auction... i listen music on my iphone with them since something like 5 years. i dont know if it's the habits to listen my music with it, but now, i can go back... it's like they just sound like the default apple earphone. odious ! it's a pity, because they looks so great and are so comfortable.... 

i dont know how sounded the "big" names like shure or sennheiser, but i really think the piston 3 cant be compared to any "good" earphone, you just buy the design with these earphone... i've lost 18$

Did you at least try to fit them correctly?

May 7, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #113 of 169
Can anybody link some good tips for these for around $5? I've heard good things about the fake Sony Hybrids, but I can't find them. To anybody who has them, can you tell me if they improve the sound quality, and  could you give me a link?

May 8, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #114 of 169
  Can anybody link some good tips for these for around $5? I've heard good things about the fake Sony Hybrids, but I can't find them. To anybody who has them, can you tell me if they improve the sound quality, and  could you give me a link?

Somewhere in the beginning in one of these Piston threads somebody linked this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pairs-Hybrid-Replacement-Ear-Tip-Headsets-Earbuds-For-Sony-XBA-MDR-DR-Series-/311167794103
I wasn't able to find this listing through Ebay's search system myself, nor was I able to find any other ad that was this cheap. Another strange thing is that when I visit that particular Ebay store it's completely empty for me.
I ended up ordering them though and they arrived in about 7 days. I don't know how these compare to real Sony Hybrids, but they definitely have the same characteristics. Hard inner core for around the nozzle, soft outer silicone part.

May 10, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #117 of 169

Somewhere in the beginning in one of these Piston threads somebody linked this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Pairs-Hybrid-Replacement-Ear-Tip-Headsets-Earbuds-For-Sony-XBA-MDR-DR-Series-/311167794103
I wasn't able to find this listing through Ebay's search system myself, nor was I able to find any other ad that was this cheap. Another strange thing is that when I visit that particular Ebay store it's completely empty for me.
I ended up ordering them though and they arrived in about 7 days. I don't know how these compare to real Sony Hybrids, but they definitely have the same characteristics. Hard inner core for around the nozzle, soft outer silicone part.

I've just ordered 3 pairs......cheap as hell.

May 31, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #118 of 169
my first impressions of the pistons 3s! Comfortable but the provided silicone eartips are quite papery  (it feels like the same material as the rubber casing, the earphones was wrapped in)

gonna try them out with different eartips, but otherwise, ergonomics is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back